• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I finally got out this season to chase some rainbows. I settled into my spot just about an hour before sunrise. I got my first trout right at 730. I caught one more fish in the dark. The action was slow until about 915 when the sun broke over the hills. Then the action picked up and I caught three more bows in about a half hour stretch. Two fish put up a pretty good fight. It was nice to have the whole lake to myself this morning; nice and quiet grin.gif. It was good to be out again!

rbt20070126cv3.jpg

rbt20070126hengb2.jpg

I did some fly fishin in Alaska a few years ago and loved it. Rainbows are a great fish. where did ya catch em? i may give it a shot in the spring.

I have spent a ton of time in that park...but have never tried trout fishing......it looks like fun.

JP, ever tryed Island or Long up in Clearwater Co for trout?

Island would be a fun snowmobile /fishing trip. a few years back a friend caught a nice 6# bow there in the open water season.

Hey Deadhead....what were you using as bait? My uncle and I are going to give it a shot...and could use a little help. We have gone a couple of times in the past to Long lake (Clearwater co) but have never caught anything. Its our once a year trout fishing day trip and I would love to actually catch one of those things wink.giftongue.gif. Thanks.

Cliffy.

If DEAD doesn't get to you in time, I'll tell you what I know. He uses a small jig in the size 10-12 range, and a wax worm. Usually he fishes shallow <8 fow, and sight fishes them. He said that were aggressive the other day, but I don't know what they would be like with this cold front on top of us. Let us know how you do. I need to give this a try sometime as well, I love to fly fish for trout in rivers/streams, so I may enjoy this as well. One thing is for sure, for their size, they sure do put up a tussle.

Ted, I've never fished Long yet. maplewood is closer to my house, less crowded and usally produces, so I stick with what works.

The carry in access and park sticker, puts most people off of maplewood. Most guys like to drive right out I guess. To me the extra effort to get the fish is what makes the outing rewarding.

Thanks for helping cliffy out F-dog. I usually use genz bugs, sizes 8-12, tipped with either waxies or euro larvae. The most common setup I use is a glow red size 10 genz bug tipped with 3 waxies. When the trout get finicky, downsize. I usually setup in the weed flats in about 3-5 FOW, and sight fish. Sight fishing helps to increase your odds of hooking fish when the bite is tough. If you decide to move from the flats, fish along steep breaks and underwater structure. The trout will cruise along these breaks suspended.

The one plus side to coldwater fish like trout is that they are not as affected by cold fronts like walleyes and panfish are. That is not to say that they will be jumping out of your holes though.

I've never fished dried or frozen minnows before; I'm sure they would work as I've caught plenty of trout on live minnows (on a non-designated trout lake where it was legal to use live minnows). Waxies just seem to work well and I usually always have some on hand in the winter.

There is no need to jig aggressively or anything. In fact I often just leave my jig dangling there. A flasher is often not needed, since trout come in and out of your transducer's cone so quickly. If you miss on a hookup, don't despair, these fish usually come in schools. I missed a couple the other day and quickly dropped by bait back down and hooked up with another fish.

I hope you had some luck!

What a blast! laugh.gif My uncle, father and I went to Bass lake today for a few hours. My dad caught three very nice trout. My uncle and I missed a few...but still had fun. There were two other portables out on the lake when we arrived but they left by mid-afternoon.

We fished in 7 feet of water and just used very small hooks and some pink trout stuff. I had my Marcum up and running but it really didnt do much...just like Deadhead said, they are in and out so quick it really does not matter. I also learned that it would pay not to bring everthing and the kitchen sink in my portbale. It was very easy to pull down the hill to the lake...but what a pain to pull out. crazy.gifcrazy.gif Gotta do that again. grin.gif

I definately need to give it a try. Maybe you, Dead, and I should head out some time. I bet ScottND might want to join as well.

Yeah, that sounds like it would be a lot of fun. My wife and I were going to go to Lida on Monday....but I think I might try to talk her into trying trout fishing.....I need to get my 10.00 bucks worth of this stuff grin.gif

glad to hear you had a good time out there cliffy. now you can see why that's all I want to fish for wink.gif. I forgot to mention that when the bite gets really tough, I'll take a small jig and cover it with powerbait turbo dough.

yeah cliffy, it is a bear to drag that portable up the access. no pain no gain tongue.gif. I try to pack light when I fish there. that's one lake a one man portable would be nice. I always bring my hand auger there. Not only does it not spook the trout, the weight savings is a bonus. Plus, since you can only fish one line, you only need to drill one hole, unless you bring along an ice well to keep your trout fresh, like I did. stream trout fishing is one of those deals where the fish come to you; moving is not usually necessary.

cliffy, if you wnat a really good bite, hit the sunrise bite. That's where the real action is at. I don't even bother with the noon or afternoon bite anymore. If I'm going trout fishing, I'll only fish the morning bite.

You guys want to get out together, you let me know.

Thanks for the info. So, the morning bite is where its at? I will have to try it sometime. The fish my father caught must have been around 1-3pm. I guess he was sorta lucky. grin.gif I agree with the hand auger info....I have one that is still in the box..it was a gift three years ago...and would have been perfect for today's adventure. All I could think about while pulling my LARGE and FULL portable down the trail to the lake was....how much this is going to suck to pull up the trail when we are done!

Here is another question. How do you prepare and cook trout?

Quote:

How do you prepare and cook trout?

I usually smoke all my trout. Once in a while I'll fillet them out and de-bone them and then bread them in louisiana fish fry (corn flour and corn meal + cajun seasoning). I fry them up and eat them with hot sauce. Other times I'll grill them whole, skin on, rubbed on the inside with a special rock salt seasoning I have from Hawaii: sun evaporated salt, hawaiian sea (alae) salt, cane sugar, garlic, basil, parsley, black pepper, rosemary, paprika, oregano, orange peel, onion, and celery. This mix is great on steak too.

It is in Maplewood State Park near Pelican Rapids and is accross the road from Beers Lake.

Ok --

I know you guys are not going to believe me but I had my camera down the hole on Silver Lake the other weekend and I saw a strange fish.

It had a hawk-like head that looked just like a trout. It was pretty good-sized I would say at leasst 20-inches and had some girth to it.

I know people put strange fish in lakes to see how they survive but a trout on Silver.

Dead -- If it wasn't a trout, what would it be?

Do you catch fish in 3 FOW all day? I have been fishing it in about 12-18 feet of water and catch them at all dephts. Last weekend, one actually swam partially into my hole chasing my flasher. Have you had luck all over the lake? It seems like we catch them all over the lake at all depths.

I know a friend that caught a 10# cat on Silver lake once. He was pulling a rapala if I remember. I thought that was kinda odd. This was about five years ago.

Dead --

Not sure I will have to look at a pic -- It looked a lot like your pics in this post -- but the fish was wider.

weird. that water is too warm for trout. if they were put in, it had to have been this fall. also, trout are very difficult to transport without theright equipment, so it's highly doubtful.