• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
icemac33

Another wrinkle in the slot

icemac33

An FYI if you didn't know this.I thought I'd finally got my story straight, once and for all, on cleaning or eating fish on a lake with a slot on those fish. If you're wondering, don't do it. As soon as you hit shore you can. This is a new one on me, though. In reading the cuffs and collars section of outdoor news, I found this in the January 19 Baudette section.

"Officer Warren would like to remind anglers that fish put outside of the fish house no longer are considered measurable when they become frozen since the fish cannot be straightened and the tail cannot be pinched."

That is CO Angie Warren. Great in theory but when I was up there two weeks ago the fish were freezing in the buckets under the bunks. It sure would be nice if they could figure out a way for the slot to work and a guy could still cook up a couple of those delicous walleyes for supper at night.I have a hard time seeing the legalities of me setting up the Coleman stove outside the fish cleaning house at Rogers or being in my shack a mile and a half out.I guess I'll have to push harder for the Crappies.I just had my last walleye and perch for lunch today. I'm going to try to get some gills down here tomorrow to hold me off until I get back up there. smile.gif

kelly-p

"freezing in the buckets under the bunks"

Sounds like a bad house. grin.gif

If we change this law every poacher will be cleaning walleyes on the lake and laughing at those of us that support the URL recovery. We have worked too hard for that to happen. Only poachers want to clean their fish on the lake. From the remains left on the lake we have way too many poachers that are delaying the relaxing of the slot limits. Don't blame the DNR, blame those among us that are the poachers. frown.gif

The Donk

Quote:

"

Only poachers want to clean their fish on the lake.

Spoken like a man that it probably takes 15 minutes from the fishhouse to get home there. Not everyone who wants to eat a walleye has no conscience(sp?) There are people who respect laws, but I know what you are getting at

kelly-p

Yea but you've probaly got a McDonalds within a few miles. grin.gif

Patsy an I have only kept 4 walleyes all winter. Leave them in the lake for the customers to catch.

I think every lake with a protected slot has the same law about cleaning fish on the lake. We're not being singled out.

youngie22

donk was just saying that was an awfully broad and bold statement to make. It gets cold up there who really wants to leave the lake at -30 to go eat some fish. gotta do what ya gotta do though.

gorrilla

Donk, why do people have to come up to Red to see all the good fishing and not just hit all the "hot" lakes around St. Cloud? Because its a valuable fishery with few comparisons in the state and deserves protecting. I guess I can wait the few hours until I get home(on on shore) to eat my walleyes.

ArcticCat21

If you want to eat your catch for supper, Bring your cleaned fillets to West Wind and they will cook them for you. It is much easier than trying to set up a cooker outside on shore.

The Donk

Quote:

Yea but you've probaly got a McDonalds within a few miles.
grin.gif

True enough, grin.gif I wouldn't be suprised to see one pop up in the big town of Waskish or Kelliher soon though tongue.gif And as for you gorilla, I can wait to get home, I was just saying that it kinda sucks that people aren't smart enough to obey a law. Red Lake is a special fishery, but there are plenty of hot lakes down here within 1/4 the time to get there... and I can have the freshest fish possible grin.gif

Random guy

Quote:

Quote:

Yea but you've probaly got a McDonalds within a few miles.
grin.gif

True enough, grin.gif I wouldn't be suprised to see one pop up in the big town of Waskish or Kelliher soon though tongue.gif

Great...I'm gonna get fat again. grin.gif

icemac33

That's exactly it youngie22. We did the westwinds thing last time and it was delicious. Great deal for the work and hassle it saves you. When I head up there I don't really like leaving the lake if I don't have to though. The poachers are going to poach, any lake, any time, slot or not. We would still have to go to shore to throw the guts before we could catch any more to remain legal. I suppose that I can see groups eating too many in a day and going over their daily limit.Once again, this could just as easily happen on shore. I'm 100% on following regs and think the limit and slot on Red(or any other lake for that matter) are great. I wouldn't give up what is going on in Red for anything. I feel it is the premiere lake in the nation. I would just like to cook my walleye in the shack. I would be willing to just keep one a day if I could have supper in the shack.Unfortunately, it's just like most laws, it has to be enforced for all to cover the few bad ones. frown.gif.OH... And the frozen bucket of fish: poor carpentry skills + wood stove + -20 each morning = endless cycles of thawing and then cooling. How many times can you thaw then try to cool your milk in a weekend? Quite a few.

minimite

Great...I'm gonna get fat again. grin.gif

if that happens atleast people we be able to recognize you after they see your video wink.gifgrin.gif