• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where are the walleyes?

walleyecatcher

Anyone know any good spots were the walleyes are biting? Which side of the lake is doing best?

Couldn't tell you were they are biting for sure. We got 2 on the west side of the lake tues. and 2 on the south end of the lake on wed. Should've had 5 wed. but my dad lost the three he had on. Went out of KJ's on the south end and took his road out. The road either goes to spirit island or about half way out it branches to the left. When you get to the end of the road thats where we fished. We found a nice little inside turn that drops off. Watch out for rocks when jigging, my dad actually pulled 7 of them onto the ice. I busted my line off also. KJ's access is on the little frontage road next to lundeen's bait shop. $10 and bout 2 miles out to spirit island. Took wheeler out there on wed. but drove F-150 out there thurs. Perch were down there but were tough to get to bite. Hope this helps and good luck.

Wellll ... there's a rumor that Matton Flat is the HOTSPOT.

Seems to be a lot of controversy though regarding whether this rumor can be verified (or even trusted).

Don't tell anybody about this spot but here's the coords.

N46d 13.372Min

W93d 40.664Min.

Worked good last year. let me know how you do.

thier always biting in the upper lip!

wiah I knew that question cause I'm heading up in the morning.

ok, I will try that tomorrow being there is free beer... Rather than go to the Blue Goose and pay $3 per bottle.

Good fishing to everybody and I will report back on Monday.

Blue Goose, $3.00 bottle beer?? Happy hour or did they drop they're price??

3 freinds and I went in awhile back and I said I'd buy us a round. The bar tender handed me a LOAN APPLICATION!!! blush.gifblush.gif

Quote:

Wilson, the coordinates you gave are are in no mans land on Mille Lacs.... good joke...

even a better joke now because you took the time to look !!

Go where I said. I'm sure the fishing will be even better once the weather turns around. I also saw lots on the camera. It's hard to explain the exact spot because it doesn't have a name but if you have a gps you could give me a call or an email. I'm not a local and I don't care if everyone goes there. I won't be up there again until the summer. It's also not a very big stucture so it probably doesn't hold the numbers of fish like some other spots. But get there while the getting is good.

alright slot, I will fall for your trap. First time up on the pond in years...

shoot me an email

paloranta at earthlink . net

Ok after seeing how many ppl were reading this i checked the coordinates, and yes it is indeed water on mille lacs. Looks like 36 fow in the middle of the lake! Hope everyone bum-rushes this spot in the morning looks at the faces of one another when they get there!

Hi all, I am new to FM and just wanted to share some tips about Mille Lacs that I have learned over the past couple years. Those GPS coordinates given above may be in no man's land, but I have been up at Mille Lacs on many occasions and decided to fish in "no man's land" out in 35 feet of water or more with the nearest person being about 600 yards away from me. Two weekends ago, I hauled in two 26.5 inch walleyes and a 40" pike....all on tip-ups. Now this could have been a fluke that day, but I have learned from previous experiences that big fish cruise the depths in Mille Lacs usually suspended off the bottom anywhere from 8 feet to 20 feet. I exclusively fish this way now as I have caught a lot of big fish in deep water using very large minnows (6-9 inches) suspended off the bottom 8-15 feet usually. I get away from the crowds as far as possible and try a deep water area for a couple hours. If I have no luck, I move on to a different deep water area and do the same until I find action. It's not a tactic of fishing for everyone, but I enjoy it because I usually leave the lake with icing at least one monster. To me, you can't beat that. Good luck all and if anyone has any tips on fishing trophies I'd be glad to read them. Tight Lines.

I am in the same opinion as GoggleEye. I would much rather risk it and go to some no name area on any lake, then go where someone says there biting. The thing is, “there biting” reports are always a few days old. There is no way someone stumbles on to a hot spot and calls everyone and their grandma over to fish that area. He/she waits until the bite is on the down swing and then lets everyone know. The other thing is, have you ever heard that when a bait shop tell you they are biting on shiners, then you can expect that everyone is now fishing with shiners and it is a great time to fish with something else. Fish are not that dumb, if they see enough of the same thing, they won’t be as apt to bite in my opinion. Ideally I would like to go after fish that have never seen my presentation and haven’t been pressured. Why do you think people catch so many fish up in Canada on so many different types of lures. Its because they haven’t seen all the tricks. Those fish eat just as well up there, so its not because they are hungry.

I was always under the impression that these fish that are caught in "no mans land" are ususally just "cruisers". Not so much fish that are schooled up together relating to structure. I have to disagree that the numbers of fish caught in these areas will compare to areas with structure. I have fished both the areas myself but have had more success fishing structure than no structure. Like what was stated earlier yes of course you can still catch fish in the wide open ranges but i prefer the other.

There are many definitions of structure. If you think what you see on your graph/flasher/camera (as far as conture, vegetation, etc...)is the only thing determining where you will "spy" numbers of walleye, you are fishing blind. Open water fishing is very effective when done right, it definitely makes one think "outside the box" when finding and repeating a pattern. The structure has a tendincy to move where as the classic structure (I believe you are refering to) doesn't. The thing is with the fish in the "abyis" they are there for a reason. to eat ! and what I have found seems to be more positive/nuetral minded fish (more easily fooled) instead of in a negative mind set and letting time dictate when they will move up or on a structure to feed. just another's opinion.

So when you mean no mans land do you mean the area between the farthest out permanent shacks and the flats. Out of hunters there is about a 3 mile strech where there is no human life forms at all. There has to be fish in that area! Why doesn't anyone fish it? I have always wanted to, but have failed to.

I've never bought into "the fish wont bite because they've seen that lure before" bit. If a fish grabs your shiner its because its a shiner and thats what the eyes feed on in Mille Lacs. If a 25" walleye grabs your #7 perch colored shad rap its because it thinks its a perch. So i guess if you subscribe too that theory than this walleye will never eat a perch again? The next #7 perch colored shad rap that comes by him at 2.5 mph will look like a perch the second time around also. The reason people catch walleyes on everything in Canada is because there are just that many walleyes in those lakes. No pressure is a good thing. The few walleyes a group of people take in a trip does nothing too the population. Its just pure numbers in Canada. You catch a walleye on a red and white daredevil its because that fish thought it was some kind of baitfish. He didnt hit it because it was a daredevil he hadnt seen before.

think we are talking about more unrecognized structure, change in bottom composition, or places that aren't fished heavily. I have been watching this forum and people keep saying the west side has been successful and no one has been within 100 yards of them. I would just say, don’t be afraid to venture out a little bit. I would not go out to the Dead Sea just to prove the point, but go out just a bit farther than you think you should. During the summer you can do this very easily. Watch one of the launches sit on a spot (you know they are right on the spot). Then watch all the boats circle them trying to get closer and closer. Go away from them about 150 to 300 yards, pull blades or lindy rig it and you will increase your chances on big fish. Sometimes you get on a school of bait fish and then you can expect some real action. I have found fish are very aggressive when they are out there cruising.

Jimmy, the no man's land I fish on Mille Lacs is exactly where you referred to. It's the large area out past 3 mile reef in between the mud flats of the west shore. I go out of hunter's point and get away from all the crowds that fish 2 mile and 3 mile. If you see a red chevy silverado 3/4 ton pick-up out in the middle of the depths, that's most likely me. Give it a try and move around until you find fish. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Those fish roaming the depths suspended off the bottom are usually following baitfish schools and looking to eat. They are not resting neutral fish!! Good Luck.

GoggleEye

I took my Dad out from Jerry Brant's place on Monday to the Center Bar road. We did the 24 hour thing in one of Jerry's sleeper houses and we had moderate success. One 18" walleye, a couple smaller walleye's, several perch and two pout. We had a camera down and were able to watch the perch and walleye swim by and ignore the bait, just tough mid-winter fishing. I did watch two perch scatter away from my lure and then saw a major sized muskie troll thru the top of the reef we were on. Jerry's guys did a good job of taking care of us (heater problem) and all in all I would call it a good trip.

Oh yeah, a big thanks to Jeff's mobile lock and key in Garrison. I managed to lock the truck with the engine running when we were packing up on Tuesday morning. In just over an hour from when I locked it up, he was out on the water with his magic wand and was able to open the door for me! Thanks Jeff!

Hey shadyzr, how do you get a picture with your profile??? I tried to put one up and could not figure it out for the life of me. I am pretty computer literate too and I just could not get it. If anyone else knows how, let me know. Thanks.

GoggleEye

I agree with you,this past weekend we caught all our walleyes 6-10 feet up off the bottom.Look at my post&pictures under not so hot (piggys)these were 2 of six walters caught in less than 24 hours!c63 grin.gif