• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyes or Crappies on Farm???

Has anyone had any luck with Walleyes or Crappies on Farm??? We stay at Timbertrail Lodge in the Summer, and were thinking about giving it a try in the next week or so.

Rodmaker -- Good question! I was just thinking that same thing as I drove by Farm yesterday. I knew some guys that were fishing out there early in the year, but never did find out if they were hooking up with anything. I'll be watching also to see if anyone else has some good info. Thanks for posing the question. -- jslytlemn

• 3 weeks later...

rodmaker, first time on the board and i was just browsing the message board and ran across yoru post. we have been going to white iron and farm lake for 10 years and there is some fine walleye fishing to be had on farm. Have you ever been to farm lake? there is a nice reef not too far from timber trail lodge that is excellent for walleyes in the summer. the hot bite is usually an hour before dark and an hour after dark, using mainly leadhead jigs tipped with leeches and running spinner rigs across the reef. there is also a little island on your right, just before you leave the main body of farm and head towards garden lake with shallow weeds, caught a 14 pounder there 8 years back i can send a pic if you want to see. as far as crappies go it is hit or miss for us. try the "river" section between silver rapids lodge and the entrance to the main lake of farm lake. there are lots of weeds. hope this helps and let me know if there is anymore info i can provide

Welcome!!!!! We have been staying up with Bill at Timber trail for 7 or 8 years. We go up there for a week in July.

I know the spot your'e talking about all too well!!! We fish that spot the same times you mentioned only we usually get out there around 6:30 for the eve bite. We catch our Walleyes slip bobbering with jumbo leeches, and small glow jigs in 6 - 10 ft. Best for eve for us seemed to be 4-8 ft.

last year for the first time, I tried trolling that area later on in the day (anywhere from 9-and on) shallow and deeper 19 ft with Shad raps and did awesome on Walleyes and Big Smallies. I always caught fish that way. Biggest Eye around 20". Got a Smallie almost 22" , 21 3/4 " to be exact. Took photos and released it. How do you get photos on here?? I would like to post it. Post your Eye!!

I know they get some Monster Eyes in the Fall there.

Still trying to figure out how to get up there this Summer in July for a week. Kind of hard with baseball tournaments at that time . may have to make a Thurs-Sun run if we can't go for a week. Have to hit the fall up there for sure!!

There is a spot on Farm to catch Crappies also, before you get out to that spot. There's a sunken pine tree in 28 ft or so. I caught and released a 17 " Crappie, and have a replica from Matt at Artistic Anglers in Duluth. He is the best by far!!! WE have never caught a crappie under 9 1/2 ". Most seem to be 11-15 ". We don't keep them. Take photos and release.

Rodmaker

Fished Farm this last Friday from 3 until 8 and Saturday for another couple hours at night after leaving Burntside. No crappies between the four of us and only 1 walleye (10"). Pretty dead and did not see any one else on the lake.

I have been trying to figure out how to post pics on here but it never seems like i can just have the time to do it. I will have to try trolling shad raps around that reef. We have stayed at silver rapids lodge in the past but have decided to abandon that and have found a really nice lake house to rent. We are going the middle of june and i cant wait. we have been going in the fall and the fishing has been tought both years. Ever have any luch crappie fishing in garden lake. My dad loves crappie fishing but it always seems like we will catch one or two and that is it. Although they are huge when we get them. hope you can get that july trip in

How much is the lakehouse to rent??? Do they rent it out all year to people??Is it on farm??? Try trolling the Shad raps. Colors: Perch, Crayfish, Gold. It really didn't seem to matter.

Never fished Crappies on Garden, so I can't help there.

If I go up in Fall, I'm trolling bigger Shad Raps & Husky Jerks. I know the guide from Timber Trail does this and catches big Eyes!!!!!

There are actually 2 that we ran across. the first i found in the ely echo, called the people and they were extremly nice and sent a brocher. very nice 3 bedroom cabin with a loft on garden lake. the second one is also on garden lake and here is the website http://www.canoecountry.com/trailsend/

The first one is the one we reserved and it is 1100 for the week, has tv vcr and just looks like a really sweet cabin.

the second one is 1400 and has satellite tv. the only reason we did not book this one is because you need a 50% down payment to hold it. If you would like the number of the first cabin let me know and i can give it to you.

They look pretty nice. How many people does the one you are staying sleep. Do you have any photos??? How is the dock as far as water level. The place we stay on Timbertrail is up to $1595 a week. Money is tight with my wife becoming disabled.

I dont have the brochure with me but I will try to locate it and scan it for you. I beleive that it sleeps up to 8 but i am not sure, there are 4 of us going. I do know that it is three bedrooms, has a fireplace, and a brand new deck they just built. I beleive the cabin is only 6 or 7 years old and the people that own it are from minneapolis. not sure how many boats you are bringing but i told her we were bringing 2 bass boats and she said that there is ample dock space and the water depth is fine. It really seems these ely resorts are jacking the prices up on their cabins. the one we used to stay at at silver rapids is now 1600 per week.

Sounds good!!! If you can't find it, I'll call up there Mon. How far of a boat ride is it to get to Farm from there???

I want to get up there again so bad!!!

I know what you mean about prices going up. When we first went to Timber trail it was $800 for the week around 7 or 8 years ago. We would get last years price of $1,575 if we went again this year.

Are you from that area???

it is not a very far boat ride at all from what they told me. It sounds like it is just as you enter garden lake. I am not from the area, i live in nashville tn but have been making trips to the ely area for 25 years, started going when i was five. We used to stay on the moose lake chain. I look forward to the ely trip all year and would love to be able to make it up there twice a year. I have yet to locate the brochure. 1,500 for a cabin, that is so steep. You can rent a cabin down here at dale hollow for about 500 a week.