• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
pike fisher 02

fishing report /hillmans road "? sunken island?

pike fisher 02

arived at the lake last friday 1;30 fished out of sunny beach in 13 ft didnt mark any fish moved around abit drilling holes caugt a few perch so we headed north about a 1/2 mile set up in 9.5 ft of water by about 3;30 caugt one walleye imediatly then it was slow till about 5;00 and then the bite really turned on and we had our limit of walleyes by 5;30 then we headed down to blackduck to fish a local lake for crappies that we fish quite abit and did fair there on 11-13" crappies not quite the 14-15 inchers you get on red but we knew where to fish them on this lake and it was on the way home so we decided try it all in all it was a good trip.

was planning on making a trip up this weekend dose anyone know how far the road is plowed out of hillmans and where the ridges are id like to try fishing the sunken island actauly ive wanted to try fishing it for a few yeers but just never wanted to drive that far but i figured this year with no snow id try fishing it for northerns and walleyes do you think id be able to get out there with a wheel house or should we bring the sleds and portables and does any one know how shallow it gets on the island ive heard 8ft and ive heard 12ft any info on this would be apreciated

kelly-p

Follow Hillman's road to the end (marked with balsam boughs along the south side) and turn south. Clear sailing with no big areas of rough ice and no pressure ridges. About 15 minutes from from the end of the road to the island.

To save miles as soon as you cross the bridge on Hillman's road you can head straight to the island. Slower going with more rough ice to work around but shorter distance.

The best part is that every foot of the way you could be driving over the "mother load" of crappies that we are all looking for. cool.gif

If nothing is happening around the island try about 1 mile north of the north edge of the island. The last time I was there 4 out of 5 holes over 1/2 a mile caught crappies or walleyes.

Enjoy the trip, you're about to see just how big URL is. smile.gif

pike fisher 02

kelly do you think its worth the drive or would you suggest i try somewhere else for northerns and do you know how shallow it gets out there

kelly-p

I think it should be good for northerns. There were a few hard houses out there last week and it looks like more there right now.

traviskoster

kelley any house avil for the sunday

Badger_55

hey kelly, a group of 4 or 5 of us our heading up there to one of your houses. Pretty pumped up, was up there last saturday, I took my little brother up for the first time. I tried to play guide but the only way I could get him a fish was through my holes. Anyway it was nice to get him a way from that xbox. Anyway, fish or no fish i am sure it will be fun, looking forward to meeting you, heard a lot of good things about you guys. Thinking about bringing up my portable as well. Ya have any tips for me with equiptment to bring, never rented a house before, always been on my own up there. Thanks, Ben

kelly-p

Your portable will be very usefull. Time and time again a portable will catch fish 20 feet from a hard house while the hard house catches nothing. Fishing eq., bedding and pots and pans to cook with. The house has an oven.

Tripleplay

I had a conversation with Patsy a couple of days ago and one thing that I learned was that I needed to bring my own clamp-on rattle reels. I just assumed they were in the sleepers and I'm really glad I asked!

Probably my bad for not knowing this butthis is also my first experience in a sleeper.

Random guy

Rattle reels are great but keeping them in the house and working is another story. Just bring the clamp on style and clamp them to the shelves, works great.

Although with as light as some of these fish hit I would use a rod over a rattle reel.

Pike are fun on rattles, they spin so fast the force pins the rattle to the outside and no noise, just the crash n splash when the rattle hits floor after it ran out of line. laugh.gif

Tripleplay

Picked up three and lined them and have them set up in the event that I actually try to get some sleep.

Part of me would love to watch the fire drill if one starts going and those boys come bailing out of the bunks. That might be worth the price of admission alone. Of course it could be just as funny watching me try to bail out!

It is going to be a couple of tough days here at work until we hit the road.