• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Wild Thing

Rapid suggestions, please!!!

Wild Thing

We're fishing Saturday and Sunday in 26 feet of water several miles off Pine Island.

What's the strategy, besides dirnking heavily?

Hammered gold as usual? Pink or red glow? Full minnows or heads? Jigging spoons or jigs?

Only fish this part of the lake once a year so any help would be much appreciated. Leaving noon Friday.

Gracias.

Mike Patenaude

I'll also be coming up this weekend as I do every weekend. I'll be out in about 28 ft off Pine Island. My suggestions are not far off what you already seem to know. Gold hammered when the suns shining, red glow and rattles during low light. I usually use about 1/2 the minnow that seems to work well. I always use a dead stick with a red hook and a shiner on my other line. The last couple of weekends this scored better than jigging. I also make sure that my minnows are really fresh, I do this by sinking a plastic minnow pail (has to be just the right size) in an extra hole I drill. This keeps the minnows fresher than any other method I've used, and a lot less annoying than having one of those pumps running in the house. smirk.gif

Royal Dutchman

When you get to 26' you may want to turn around and come back in! The great bite in 29-30' has vaporized and all the fishin' is in 20-25'.

Moved my house back in today so that will probably start the deep bite going again though. LOL

Only had a few minutes to fish after moving but popped a 15" on a red rattle varmit/shiner head and a 19" on a fathead/Genz worm. Dead stick was down several times but didn't get to it in time for the others.

Fish didn't like movement(except for 1 sauger) and would have tried some different presentations if more time.

Good Luck!

bturck

Wild thing: I would all of the above, and keep switchin up. They will all produce, depends on how agressive they are. But everything you mentioned did work for me two weeks ago. Good luck and hang on. Bill

bturck

Royal Dutchman: Is this a weird year or what over Pine. Normally we would be out in 30+ feet. Two weeks ago, it was the same, started in 31-33' and found all the action in 20-24'. You should be getting pretty good at tearing down and set up by now 'eh? Good luck and hang on. Bill

Boar

Hey dutch, Hows Things an the new addition to your Family? I've been working on putting my wife through her bachalor degree so's things are a wirlwind for me. I've been up a few times, did well once, but I have to agree with you that the bite moved shallow i wish I had the gumpsion to move my sleeper shallow but then I'd have to move it deeper cause I missed the shallow bite, my luck. I see you use the sacred Red Rattle Varmit, The ultimate weapon in my book. Also most of my fish have been on bobber rigs with a #6 hook an a phelps glow tube on the shank. A great addition to a dead stick presentation. Anyway If I can make it your way I'll stop in for a soady. Later boar

Mike Patenaude

Thanks Dutch, I left my house ready to move last weekend, Brian from Lakeroad was going to move it over to the gap for me if things were hot over there, but I called him yesterday and he told me that even though there were more fish getting caught there, they were small. Bottom line is that it's ready to move so maybe I'll just meander in shallower right away in the morning.

Wild Thing

Thanks everyone! We're on our way...

Royal Dutchman

Bill,

Yeah it does seem strange. We were catching fish in there but it got crowded so we moved out. The generators and blaring truck stereos 50' away do not make for a relaxing day on the ice for me. We usually play leap frog and go past the end of the road & end up making fresh tracks & catching fresh fish all season but not this year. We moved out to 30' before Xmas and caught consistently till 2 weeks ago then dead. Jan. 8th we had our best day all year & then could hardly mark a fish. I'm just glad we're catching fish & not like last year!

Royal Dutchman

Boar,

Good plan to get the wife the learnin' so she can make the big bucks and you can afford a better boat, fishhouse, rifle,etc....

Yeah, I whined around & layed awake for 2 weeeks before I moved back in. No one realizes just how much stress I'm under! LOL! Might have waited longer but my kid is coming up from Nebraska & got to get him into fish.

Might have to try that glow tube. Can't believe I was actually beginning to question the power of the glorious Rattle Varmit. Heresy!

Stop anytime but hope I'm out fishin'!!