• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MIKE IN lINO III

Computer problem

Question

MIKE IN lINO III

My computer at home won't turn on. I brought it our IS guy at work and he says I need a new mother board. Anyone know of a place in the NE metro Ican bring it???

Thanks,

Mike

11 answers to this question

crackcrappie

computers by jfc by perfect 10 carwash

Sandmannd

General nano systems in MPS is a great place.

upnorth

Offer your IS guy a few bucks to swap out the motherboard.

Whoaru99

It's not that hard to do - I just got done with an overhaul of one of my computers. Besides, what have you got to loose??

You can order a new mobo anywhere from about $40 and up - assuming that's all what is wrong. But then there is labor to put it in and then quite possibly reloading (presumably) Windows and the software. If the computer has an OEM copy of Windows it may not be possible to reactivate it. The Microsoft OEM license typically considers replacement of the motherboard akin to getting a new computer.

If the computer is more than 3-5 years old, you might just want to consider an upgrade instead of fixing that one.

PierBridge

Quote:

If the computer is more than 3-5 years old, you might just want to consider an upgrade instead of fixing that one.

Do you have any more information on how he determined it was the Mainboard it could be something simple.

Otherwise I agree it might be time to upgrade, the PC repair may not be cost effective.

upnorth

OK here are a couple trouble shooting tips.

1st make sure the power supply is working- fan should come on, ethernet card light should be when plugged in etc.

2nd unplug everything from the PC and power it up, any faulty periphials will cause it to not power up.

3rd start uplugging any add on cards to see if it will then boot up.

I worked on someones PC that would not boot up not that long ago and it wound up being a faulty wireless card they added. But keyboards, mice, scanners etc that are bad can keep you PC from booting up too. It may be that you only have a faulty power supply, less than $50 cures that issue.

MIKE IN lINO III

My IS guy tried to jump the button that would start it up, that was with everything disconnected. He also tried some other ideas to get it going, that is how he came up with a bad board.

Mike

Spork

Quote:

My IS guy tried to jump the button that would start it up, that was with everything disconnected. He also tried some other ideas to get it going, that is how he came up with a bad board.

Mike

Did he try a different power supply?

Valv

Mike, the best place to fix your problem is.....Dell website, go to their Outlet section, they have new systems with no monitor for $ slightly over $ 200.00.

Much better than pay $ 100.00 for a new MBoard + installation and config, and the best point is the new systems will have new software with it.

Trust me it's well worth it.....

MIKE IN lINO III

Thanks Valv,

I can build decks and putz in the garage but when it comes to computers I'm a little slow.

Are hard drives compatable? I think I have some stuff on my current computer that I would like to keep.

Mike

Congrats on the youngin'

Valv

Yes they are compatible, you should be able to install yours in the new one as secondary, you might have to check with a tech to find out how to install it.

Be sure to get a system with a larger case, so there will be room for it