• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Have you seen the new Navionics HD map of Kabby? cool.gif

I got my '07 version a couple days ago thru my contacts there. Interesting! wink.gif

JAK, yes I saw it at the Tackle show, last week. I've ordered some in for the store, and I hope by May or shortly after I'll have the paper map. It is very interesting and pretty complete, I only saw it for a short time, I didn't reasearch it much, but I noted a few areas not before shown.

Hope all is going well. guts

Is Kab on the lakemaster chip? What is the difference between the lakemaster and the nav chips?

icatcher, I have the lakemaster Kab chip and the earlier Navionics chip. The lakemaster chip had more detail, more locations of sumerged reefs and overall better data, or more updated data. The new Navionics chip with a new last year survey of Kab has more detail, shoreline identities, more little known reef structures, and has a decent Namakan presentation. There has not been a Namakan lake survery for a few decades, so if you or any other readers would like to push the Navionics people a little bit, who knows maybe they would consider doing it. The state has no current funding or plans to do Namakan.

The navionics people told me there most recent survey of Kab is proprieity information, so I don't expect it to be passed on to other companies.

Guts-

That is really good info. I will base my next electronics on that. I want to buy a combo GPS/Sounder and I will definately buy something compatable with navionics. I've been fishing Kab for 20 plus years and even though I am beginning to know a few little areas, I don't know squat.

What a lake!!

Big Al, I've had a Lowerance Color Sonar/GPS, with the separate antennae, had several problems, and got tired of it so I bought an Eagle color sonar/GPS with built in anntenae, and I like it much better, less interference with other units. Both Lowerance and Eagle are same company, but I do like Eagle unit better. I was just at a Tackle show and saw the new Hummingbirds, I was very impressed with them and would consider one of those units as well.

I personally prefer the units that hold chips, rather than the units you download into.

I'm sure a few other visitors to this site wll have an opinion, so I hope they add to this topic. guts

Guts, How does this chip work? Just the map of Kab or are there other lakes on this chip? I'm not too sharp on electronics. smirk.gif Thanks !

I've looked at Eagle and that is likely what I will end up with. I have an older Hummingbird right now and it does have the original side view(with a special tranducer) which I really think even now that it is great.

I've used Garmin GPS's for years and would really like to go with that product but I understand that the maps available that are compatable with Garmin are only the poor detail DNR maps? If Navionics is the only one with the detail from the latest survey, then that is what I want.

Guts,

Can you tell me why you like the Eagle over the Lowrance?

When you say “it has less interference with other units”, what do you mean? In what kind of conditions? How deep?

What kind of antenna problems did you have? I have heard of a couple of different issues with both the integrated GPS and the stand alone GPS puck. Both of these had different "fixes".

Are you going to be able to get a paper version of the new Navionics HD Kabetogama Chart? I have not heard of them doing any printing of hard copies.

I know previously that the Navionics info on Kabetogama was bought from FHS and it was an electronic version on that paper map. That is why there were errors and lack of detail. Don’t get me wrong …the FHS map was and is very useful and is complete enough for most people, but once you’ve spent some time exploring, the more detail the better.

BTW, I have been asked to beta test a new Humminbird unit this coming season. I have not decided for sure what I’m going to do. I really like my Lowrance electronics and would have a hard time letting them go.

Double Barrel,

The "chip" is a memory card of some kind. It is dependent on what brand of electronics you are using as to exactly which memory "chip" you would need to be compatible with your unit. Don't sweat that ...all of the chart makers can supply the information in the format you need. I am going to refer to the memory card as a "chip" for our disscussion here.

As far as how many lakes are on a given "chip" depends upon the manufacturer. Even then, each manufacturer may have several different versions having different detail and a different list of lakes that are on the "chip".

I would post a couple of links, but that is not allowed. Maybe Guts can post a link to Navionics and Lakemaster.

Each person needs to look at what bodies of water they fish in order to decide which product is best for THEM.

I agree with Guts that I like electronics that have a slot for the "chip" so I can upgrade or change the information based on updates from the maufacturer or based on where I fish. This also allows me to use my "chip" in a friends boat if I choose.

JAK, First off, my Lowrance suffered a stroke, when we had an electrical storm, I guess and it knocked out the GPS. Unforunately it was summertime, and you probably know you don't want to have to talk to a human at a electronics manufacturer then. Well I did get it sent in for a fix and it did not work when returned. I needed an immediate replacement, so I decided to buy the Eagle with the integrated GPS, while Lowrance took their time getting back to me and sent me some new cables. I've not checked out the Lowrance again to see if it works, but I will before I put it on ebay.

The Eagle works just fine, much simplier to understand and operate, of course it lacks some bells and whistles but it was a lot better priced than its cohort.

I consistently had an interference proplem between my Garmin and the Lowrance. When I turned on the Garmin, it caused the Lowrance to go wacky, depths of 500-650' aren't common on Kab. The Eagle on the other hand causes no interference, however I've been told adding anything else electrical may or may not cause problems, there are no guarantees against cross interference I guess.

Did you find I place to relocate up here yet? I've not heard of any other availabe spots other than what I told you. good luck guts

DbleBarrel and Big Al, The new 2007 Prem. Hot map N-3, has the new Kabetogama survey results taken last year. Be careful you don't by the 2006 N-2 map, it will be cheaper but it is the old FHS map not nearly as updated as the 2007 version or Lakemaster chip. The chip (Navionics) contains lakes of nearly all popular N. Minn lakes, you can go to their website and get that info, its navionics.com it will list all the lakes on the chip. For instance, the 2007 chip will have the new Kab information, but the Namakan, Sand Point, Crane, Rainy info will be the same as on earlier versions, as no new surveys have been done. Hope that helps some.

Big Al, the new chip does work in many units, but you are right Garmin is not one of them. The newer units have capabilites of hold 2 chips which can be nice, if you change lakes and prefer one chip over another, its an easy switch. Before you buy, I would go to a store that features Eagle, Lowrance and Hummingbird, all three have great features, and now the Hummingbird added some real new technolgy, high definition Side imaging sonar, 3D Quadra beam and more. Personally thats more than I need, but they are loaded with features. My Eagle incidently has a great screen, integrated GPS and is easy to use, the Lowrance was okay as well, but had much more than I would use, and I didn't like the GPS puck and extra wiring. let me know what you get, guts

What you were told about interference is correct. Isolating inducted electrical problems can be a real “treat”.

What model Lowrance did you have? What model Eagle do you now have?

I have used both Eagle and Lowrance. I found the two very comparable. The one thing I give the edge to in the Lowrance is the amount of detail. This is true both when crappie and walleye fishing, especially noticeable in deep water.

For now, we are staying at the same place. I was able to show them comparables from around the lake and we came to an agreement.

Thanks for the info you provided, I explored all of those options along with others. We are going to see how it goes.

JAK, I have an Eagle 642C and the Lowrance is a 330C, I agree on the detail of the units, but as I said, for my purpose at this time at least, the Eagle is fine. Glad you worked things out for the summer.

Big Al,,, Just a little thought that hasn't been talked about.. I see you are looking for a combo GPS/Finder.... I use a unit like that and I use the split screen alot. That is half the screen is GPS mode and half is Finder mode... with the smaller screens, like Lowrance 332, 51/2 inch screen, the views of the info. get quite small... Those are the cheaper units. If you want to use split screen, I would look at some of the units with larger screens... I lot easier to see and use... They do cost more.... Just a thought... Fishkab

Guts,

I'm sorry to say, but I filed a discrepency report with Navionics this morning. I found some problems on the east end of Kabetogama.

Some of these same problems existed before on the '05 version, but were corrected in the '06 version. Now that they added the HD map of Kabetogama,the problems showed up again.

I have been working with them since Sept of '03 to fix the problems. I had hoped that with the new lake survey that all of the problems would now be fixed. frown.gif

JAK, it would be interesting to know how soon they will make the corrections, I hate to advise people to buy the new chip if they are going to revise it. To you have a clue if they acknowledge the discrepancy and if they are going to fix anytime soon? thanks guts

Guts,

I don't know how long it will take. My best guess is that it will be at least until next year's release. So far any corrections that they made from my various discrepency reports have been included in the next years release.

I have had no problem in the past with them acknowledging any of the discrepencies that I have sent in. Only time will tell for sure.

BTW I did see on their web site that they do sell paper versions of some of the maps. However, I did not see the Kabetogama one listed yet.

fishkab-

Thanks for the advice on the screen size. I will have to takke a close look at all the models and make a decision. I'm thinking that if I go with the color, I might be able get by with the smaller screen. It seems a lot easier to see than the greyscale.

Guts,

Sorry I haven't been on for a while but thanks to all for the information. Lots of options to sort through. laugh.gif

• 1 month later...

JAK,

Do you care to share what is wrong with the east end of Kabetogama on the '07 version? I would like to buy the chip but if is a big issue I will wait until '08 version if and when they make the changes you brought to their attention.

Sorry it took so long, but I don't make it here everyday.

Kab seems Ok from what I have seen so far. Namakan has missing depth contours on the west end.

The depth contours are completely missing and/or missing at certain zoom levels.

I checked the chip in both Lowrance and Humminbird product, so I know it is chip related.

I just received a note from Navionics cartography acknowledging the problem.

My best guess is that it will take a year maybe two before they correct the issues.