• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
zelek

Derby on Lake Bronson

zelek

My uncle called the other night and said the derby on Lake Bronson is Sun Feb 4th. So to you folks who have participated in the past....is it a well-run event that's lots of fun or would you pass??

CatManLee

I love it and will be there again this year. Last year I placed 2nd in the Perch division and just missed winning something in the Northern Division. I would say there was atleast a couple hundred people there last year, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

I really like it because it's like 6 or 7 hours long and you get to fish out of your ice house anywhere on the lake!! I like fishing most derbies, but really like the ones where it's based on some more skill rather than luck and just plunking down a pre-drilled hole in a designated fishing area. And the fact that I can stay warm in my ice house instead of freezing my but off outside...well that puts the icing on the cake.

Entry fee (I think) is only $5.00!! Prizes aren't huge, but first for Walleye is $150 I believe ,same for Northern and a little less for Perch/Panfish. Plus they pay down I think 4 places in each division as well!! So it's not too bad.

If you do decide to go, good luck...

bowhunter_20

yeah i would have to say it is for sure worth your time to come up to Bronson and fish the derby! its been a pretty hot year for perch and I have heard reports of some pretty big northern being caught. The only thing is that I've heard rumors that they might reschedule it for the next week because of the cold temperatures and windchill factor. and if i were you guys I wouldnt plan on spearing because a buddy of mine was out last saturday and said the water was starting to get murky again, but if you do spear i would go somewhere on the east end! we'll hopefully see all you guys up there on sunday!

bowhunter_20

I just talked to Fred Adams(bait shop guy up at bronson) yesterday and he said that the derby is still on and they are preparing for a big day on the lake. He said its gonna be cold but we are ice fisherman aren't we!

CatManLee

Good!! The temp really isn't going to matter that much with most people using shelters, and for the ones not using shelters...Your tougher than me! I know I'm gonna be sitting in a nice comfy ice house all day. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is getting everything set up, that's going to be the cold part!!

If your going, maybe I'll see you there. I have a Black Dodge Durango with a big Gamakatsu sticker on the back window. If you see me, feel free to introduce yourself.

Talk to ya later.

Wiskers

catmanlee.......... You going to make it over next weekend for ICE BUSTER DAZE?????????????????????????????? Hope to see you here..

CatManLee

Hey Rusty, I'm kickin around the idea! I'm 50/50 on it right now... It's gonna be cold and I don't really want to stay in town and wait a couple hours for the stuff to begin at 5:00? If you had the door prizes and stuff right away after the derby, or if I lived in Crookston it would be a different story. Again I really am up in the air right now, if I do come over, I'll have to find something to do for a couple hours. I thought about taking my portable out and fishing for a while after the derby, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm also trying to talk my wife into going with me, so I'm not by myself. She doesn't want to go because of the cold weather, so I'm still waiting for her decision too. I'll let you know what I decide by this Friday.

NOW THE LAKE BRONSON DERBY:

I sucked it up this year! I Didn't weigh any fish or catch any for that matter. All day long I marked fish about ten feet off the bottom in 26ft of water, but couldn't get 'em to bite. I had a few fish "tap" my jigging spoon, but couldn't hook any? Plus I wasn't going to move my ice house on Sunday, it was just way too cold, When I set up my ice house at 6am, it was -34!!! Oh well, you win some and you lose some...right?

Talk to ya'll later.

Wiskers

Well I hope you can make it.. By the time the fishing is done, and we start wrapping stuff up most people are headed out to the Northland Inn and hit the bar and start checking out the prizes. It will all be open by then. It is suposed to be warming up by Sat.... It would be nice to have a nice sunny day. Hope to see you here.

bowhunter_20

Hey catman lee....about that derby.....we were on the east end and we couldnt not get enough perch to weigh in...we were three short....it was a really slow and cold day on the lake but we had fun.....we did get third in the northern division though 3lb8oz. we were thinking about making a move...but it was so cold i couldnt even convince my buddy to move his fish trap.....o well....hope u had a good time up on bronson!!!

CatManLee

Congrats on the Pike, Atleast ya'll won something. I was set up on the "main Lake" half way between the Cemetary and the point accross from the boat landing. I should have moved and would have moved, but I agree it was just too darn cold. I should have spent more time trying to find "the spot" before I set up. Oh well, I did have fun and will be back again next year.