• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Rodric Christensen

I'm new to this thread, so don't know if this is the appropriate spot for general bdub ?'s. Is there any public parking at the end of the Gunflint trail? I see that there are a couple of outfitters at the end, do they maybe just charge a parking fee ? We have been going through an outfitter in the Ely area the last couple of years, but have most of our own gear now and were looking do some exploring over that way. I know entry point permits go fast.

Flatlander

If you are going in on Big Sag, then yes there is a parking lot just up and around the corner from the entry point. It seems like a busy enough area, with the campground and boat landing, that vehicles don't get messed with too much. My truck was there from 9/28-10/12 last year, and had no troubles.

On a side note. You can do some really cool trips through the Quetico out of Sag. Just get an early start and hope the wind isn't too bad when you come out into the main lake.

Rodric Christensen

I noticed part of Big Sag is open to outboards with hp limits. Is doing a base camp for fishing in this area with a boat and motor an option or are campsites strictly for paddlers only. We like both, would maybe do one of each if we make it up twice. I see a tow service is an option across the big water also.

Fishing Junky

To stay on Sag with boat/motor, you need an overnight motor permit. Or you can get a day motor permit and fish for the day. I've been doing it for years. You can camp on any campsite you want. Motors are forbidden past American Point. I just stay on the Minnesota side. There is no hp limit on the Canadien side. Lots of fun for sure. Junky...

Rodric Christensen

Thanks for the responses. I love walleye fishing and I know Big Sag has a great reputation.

gunflint

Not so good anymore. tongue.gif

Rodric Christensen

Would North be a better lake choice for walleye ? We got back into Little Gunflint with a small boat/motor a few years ago. I saw the portage track going into Little North,but didn't explore any further. I don't know how the lower water levels are effecting this route.

gunflint

I would chose North over Sag for walleyes. The last few years have really been tough unless you like to catch smallies.

Ice Cold

I would agree with gunflint. I make a yearly trip to Sag and there has been a noticable difference for the last 3 or so years.