• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Conditions

buggydice

I am coming with 3 buddies on Feb 3rd. we are going out of Brandt's. just wondering about how thick the ice is? I know Jerry is really good about playing it safe for us.

Road is well marked to Mile and a quarter, center bar, and Sloppy Joes. It is not marked out to 4 Mile, and the staffg is not driving out there yet, but people have been driving out there - be careful. There is a big heave between 4 Mile and 5 Mile that couldn't be crossed up to yesterday at least... it extends for as far as the eye can see both ways. Jerry was going out to look at it this week and decide if he was going to bridge it or not. This is first-hand, I planked across the heave out to 5 Mile last weekend.

Thickness depends on where you are and what you call "ice". I've seen 14" or clear blue in one spot (5 Mile), and 20" in another (4 mile) with 6" of slushy re-freeze. Sloppy Joes and inward is thicker, and much more traffic.

Thanks for the info. will be coming up in my 99 Suburban K1500. have you been seeing alot of this size SUV on the ice? or mostly the midsize SUV or small pickups? Have been coming up in this for the last 4 yrs and has always been OK, drive slow like they tell us.

Guys not intending to cause undo fear in anyone here, but I was talking to adjuster yesterday morning and he had just been up to Mille Lacs and totalled a vehicle for us that went through 7 miles from shore in 30' of water. He did not know where it had gone out of as it was already retrieved and sitting in the tow lot. Caution for sure especially around the ridges, stay on the marked roads or talk to the resort before exploring. Good luck and hang on. Bill

i am pretty paranoid this winter about the ice and havent been up there but twice so far. it probably will not help the paranoids but i wonder what the bottom line was for his total loss?

regards,

minnesotatuff

The question would be...did he survive the plunge? If so, there's your bottom line...

Hey Jim?

Are you going up this weekend? I'm on vacation this week (until Monday), was thinking about heading to Mille Lacs.

Right on Andyman, Hey my name is Jim to, Were you asking me.

Nope im not going up this weekend. Did good last two though.

Good Luck and be carefull up there. I parked on lake shore and toured with sled.

Sorry, I should have indicated that the driver did get out in time, and he is fine. Not sure of the exact total, but with the recovery and totalling the truck, somewhere around $26,000.00. Still better than loss of life. Bill

I was going through Garrison this morning and noticed an SUV with its back end through the ice about a 1/4 mile offshore from the walleye statue. It looked like a pickup was trying to pull it out. Yeah, the ice is safe up there!.............Just don't cross any cracks!