• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L -Warranty???

End of the Line

Question

I bought this truck a couple of months ago and its a 2004 classified as a "U" VIN. I've been debating on adding the full extended warranty on this truck. I have until Feb 8th. I only have 39K on it and the warranty I'm looking at is 75K w/ 5yr extention. Problem is they want $2260 for that with a $50 deductible for each time I take it in. So my question is for you owners; have you stuck that much money into yours or alot less? What's your perspective? Please Ford,Dodge, and Chevy 1500 owners dont hi-jack this post. Thanks!

8 answers to this question

buy it- especially if you plan on keeping the truck a while.

you also are entitled to a refund for partial of the warranty if you dont use it all.

also, you can get a discount on the warranty..

there you go

$2260 seems steep. How many repairs can you do for that amount. A bunch of front end work or a couple of fuel pumps or at least four window regulators or a bunch of coils or a couple water pumps or a couple radiators or half a new trans or a couple new cats. The only repair that the warranty will help you on is the trans if it fails. Otherwise you will have to have a couple two or three things go wrong during the plan to break even. On the other hand you can't beat the piece of mind!!!

Make sure you read carefully what it covers and what it does not. Most are surprised to find out that a particular repair is not covered

I've read it and it basically covers everything except the radio speakers (dont know why) and general maint. like tires, brake pads, oil changes, trans oil change, filters, etc...

so that would be the best package. The only thing I would do is try to negotiate the price on the warranty.. And do be aware that you are entitled to a refund when the warranty expires, and or you trade-sell the truck...

I would get it, and i sell them daily.

I bought the same truck about a month ago and denied the warranty, now you've made me wonder. Hopefully i don't end up sticking $2500 into it prior to 75000 miles, my luck the tranny would go out at 75500 confused.gif How long do you have to put the extended warranty on? Pick up has 42000 miles on it.

I wouldn't do it. Extended warrenties to me are a rip.

I have a duramax and granted it is a dmax but it has 150000 on it and the extended warrenty would not have done jack for me. I just put a transfer case in at 145000 but that would have been past the extend warrenty anyhow. Other than that some brakes and misc. stuff only. I had a 5.3 gas that I ran to 110,000 and the only thing I replaced was a water pump and even the pump wasn't bad but the gaskets started to leak so since everything was tore down I replaced the pump. My dad has pretty much the same truck as you and has done nothing to it. I work at a place that has several trucks like you mentioned and I don't know of anything major going on with them. For the price of your extend warrenty I just don't think you will come out ahead.

It will all depend on how long you plan to own it and how quickly you will reach the mileage limit. We see a great number of super-duties with the extended coverage, aside from some elctrical things like window switches and so forth they don't get alot of use out of the warranty. A transmission failure here and there, engine once in a great while. One of the things to consider is how often, how willing, or how capable of making your own repairs you are, I personally wouldn't purchase one, but I fix them everyday. As Air says, a coil every now and then etc., however it is easy to diminish these things when we do this. If you were unable to diagnose, or don't have the equipment to do so available for instance and it came to our dealer, that insignificant coil replacement in real dollars will set you back in the area of $400. Would I spend that, no way, I can do it myself. It all depend on your capabilities and if you have the time to spend on your own repairs. If you can't properly diagnose these problems and start hanging parts and guessing, you'll spend alot more than the repair at the shop would have cost you. I have yet to attempt self surgery or dental work, so I carry insurance for the like.

Its a tough call, if you decide to buy, don't even consider any extended coverage other than that offered by the MANUFACTURER-GM! Too many times I have had customers have to pay the difference in their bill because the aftermarket company that holds the warranty only pays labor upto this rate, doesn't cover that part because its been updated, won't pay for a new or rebuilt OEM trans or engine, but will ship a used one of theirs to you to install and on and on. If it isn't from GM, don't bite.