• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone like basketball ?

Scott M

(This rant taken from a post I was about to make in another thread) I think there is just a lot of apathy about basketball in MN. I was in Williams Arena in 1997, you couldn't hear yourself think...all anyone cared about was Gophers hoops. That same year you also couldn't hear the person next to you if they were shouting when the starting lineups were announced for Timberwolves Sonics in Game 4 of the first round the NBA playoffs, featuring Garnett and Stephon Marbury. It's ten years later, we are mired with the most mediocre (at best) of teams for both men's hoops Div. I collegiately and professionally, and there is absolutely zero interest or concern. And I guess I really can't blame fans, because those who were in the position to do something as things changed over time (read: Taylor and U of M AD) sat on their hands and let things get out of hand. To this day that is the case.

The point is still there. Take a look at some of the other sports forums on this website. People still talk about football, baseball, NASCAR, and hockey year round, and not every one of said sports are successful year in and year out. But basketball is all but dead. There is a lot of potential for basketball here since we have so many venues and so many good players. Is it just fishingmn? Or do Minnesotans hate basketball?

This may sound ignorant and maybe even racist, but I can't stand the overall presentation of the NBA as a 'gangsta' league. Their marketing made them out to be an enhanced street league. Although it does not seem as prominant as in recent history, but it is still there to me.

My enthusiasm for Gopher hoops will return when they field a decent team: Typical Minnesota Fan!

I follow somewhat 3 college teams. UW, UW-Eau Claire, and tiny Milligan College in Tennessee.

UW simply cause I'm from Wisconsin. I will check and see how they are doing and read an article or two when I come across it. If they are on TV and I'm free I'll sit down and watch the game. Don't watch basketball otherwise, except for the NCAA Tournament.

UWEC- I'm an alumni and was involved with the athletics program throughout my years there so I will frequently check the website and see how they are doing.

Milligan- Worked for them as a GA while I was at East Tennessee State, and was then hired on staff. Recently got inducted into their Athletics Hall of Fame as part of the 1999 Men's Basketball Team. Once again will check their website routinely to see how they are doing.

About 2 times a month I will check the NBA standings just to see where the Bucks are.

About the only time I actually watch Basketball on TV, as mentioned above, is the NCAA tournament in March.

Now I have a 5 year old in Hockey, and have him steered in the right direction... I hope.

I would second(or third) the gangsta league image. All of the players are basically overpaid thugs who think they can get away with whatever they want. All the players are all about self promotion and not winning as a team. I think they are horrible role models for younger kids and high school athletes.

Ditto Franchiz and Edge- Primarily a bunch of spoiled overpaid criminals. I would rather watch open heart surgery than a Wolves, or any other NBA game. Gophs? If they ever field a team worth watching again, I will...

I am a huge basketball fan, and I grew up with the extreme fortune of seeing the last of the great NBA greats . . .Jordan, Bird, MAAgic, Olajuwon, Barkley, Isiah, Joe D, and a bunch others.

The gangsta rap image that developed around 1996/7 really turned me off of the NBA, though I still love college ball.

However, in the last couple years, I believe the NBA has really changed for the better. There are still a few thugs out there (there were in the 80's and 90's as well!), but it seems like the game has more offense since the early 90's

Just watch the Suns or Mavs for one game .. it is so beautiful! There are new stars in the making, such as D Wade and Gilbert Arenas. Even Yao is coming on strong, though that is also due to the afct that there really is no other dominant center in the league.

What hurt the NBA ws the gangta rap image, as well as going from NBC to ESPN/ABC. NBC did a phenomenal job showing the game and promoting them.

Keep a few things in mind:

1. Minnesota has always been a hocky, Vikings, and Twins state.

2. Most Minnesotans won't waste their money attending games of subpar teams, especially those whose GM has made more mistakes thatn the Bush administration

3. Basketball fans will re-emerge in March for THE GREATEST SPORTS PLAYOFF TOURNAMENT IN HISTORY!

You think it has changed for the better latley. How about Indiana, or how about the Nuggets, Kobe Bryant in Eagle CO....there are still alot of things happening that would sour even the most die hard basketball fan, as long as you have people that come from nothing and are all of a sudden given everything they want, you are going to have problems. The leauge needs more Tim Duncans and less Ron Artests.

So the NFL doesn't have their issues? Hank the Tank? TO? The Cincinnati Bengals? Randy Moss? The Minnesota Vikings love boat escapade?

Baseball: steroids . . . steroids . . . . steroids.

Hockey: violence is part of the game. Most fans are there for the fights anyway!

Racing - well, we'll stick to real sports . ..

The NBA isn't perfect, and in no way am I defending the behavior of a few idiots, but its too easy to lose sight of the good things when a few bad apples get the attention. It is the media age - anything for a headline!

And when a fight happens, the proximity of fans to the court makes these altercations that much more attention grabbing

I'm still a fan of pro and college hoops. I just don't get the time to watch as many games as I would like.

Well we were talking about basketball.....I didn't say a thing about other sports. I simply stated that I don't think it is getting better, the only thing I liked is the fact that Stern finally stepped in and made them pull up there pants and lose all the jewelry....

But I agree, all sports have issues, they always will. It's a part of that society and culture. You don't hear much about golf though...unless you watch sports center then I guess the fact that Tiger did his own stunt for a commercial is a huge story....

Actually, now that you bring up golf, how 'bout my favorite golfer: John Daly. He's had some issues, but I like the fat guys in sports...

personally I can't stand to watch h.s ball anymore either. Since the inception of the 3 pointer in '86, seems like the fundamentals and offenses have gone down the drain. Can't stand watching 6'5 guys standing around the perimeter for the 3.

No... WEll i think u can just look at the number of post on this website its second to last in post and its right in front of GOLF. Who so no one cares just like no one does about gold because we are all fishing or hunting insted.

i see why they call you smartguy.

i agree 100% the nba is doing a good job of cleaning up it's image, and putting a better product out there. too many teams play an ugly style to really keep the fans into it. if more teams were like the mavs and suns, i would watch. the nba is like watching an adult city league game. 4 guys taking up space and one guy going one on one.

if you love the beauty of the game, most ncaa games will not dissapoint. moving without the ball, and playing defense for an entire game makes it great. i wish more people would watch in the months that aren't associated with any kind of maddness.

as far as hockey goes, my kids will be on the ice as often as possible....staring down a hole cool.gif

I have not read any replies, just the main post....IMO NBA is totally pathetic, the NCAA is great.

To coin a phrase from a long-time sportswriter, it's called "win baby win".

In this state there are simply too many other good options for your time to watch sub par teams.

I refuse to watch NBA BB - IMO the officiating overall is a joke and pro sports in general has become too much about the money for all sides.

I still love watching high school and college hoops but it's not much fun watching the Gopher men these days. They don't get enough of the top local boys to stay home, their pre-season schedule is pathetic and they don't even win through that this year. So my attention turns more to hunting, fishing, hockey, high school sports, etc.

Just my .02 worth and it may worth less than that.

Quote:

I have not read any replies, just the main post....IMO NBA is totally pathetic, the NCAA is great.

37 days until the Madness begins!

Ah yes, hoping for a good showing from the Big 10 - especially the boys from Madtown. I do worry about the teams that start so well, like the Badgers, cuz everyone has tons of time to watch, prepare, and throw the works at them to find any weaknesses. Also, seems oftentimes teams that do well in the Big Dance are teams that had good but not great seasons but have meshed, transformed, whatever you want to call it and start playing great ball about tourney time. Will be awesome as always!

• 1 month later...

I know the great thing about college hoops is the team play and unselfishness, but I think I'd watch more games if some of the big name kids would play college ball a couple years.

The new rule has helped as we get to watch Oden and Durant play at least one year of college ball, but they'll both be gone next year.

It seems like the best college coaches are good at recruiting talented players who aren't quite talented enough to jump early to the NBA.

Good team play is fun to watch, but some times I like to see a player take over a game or to watch a marquee matchup between two superstars.

There is so much turnover in college ball that the players almost become anonymous. I guess that's what some people like about it. As for me, I like watching Lebron and D-Wade go toe to toe in a huge playoff game.