• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Harriet

headed out on thursday evening for my first time on that lake. wondering if anybody knows of any areas to avoid, or of a good bait shop close by. thanks in advance

Neth

I was out on Mon parked on the SE side and walked out by way of the beach to the 46 st bar or weed pt whatever you want to call it and had at least 7 in of good ice. the north half of the lake was open 2 weeks ago so without knowing I can only reply on the SE part of the lake. Good luck

I was out there last night. West side. 4 walleye, but none over about 12". Nice night to be out though. BTW - Moore's is closed on tuesdays. Found out the hard way. One gentleman on the lake was nice enough to share a few minnows with us, which we were grateful for.

HGS 24 and Neth -

How was the fishing this week on Harriet? I used to get out there all the time, but haven't tried it yet this year. Nothing revolutionary here, but I've always fished the weedline and found that the walleyes only turned on (or maybe simply moved in) for that 45 minute peak period around dusk. Also, the majority of the fish ran pretty small the last 5 years. Just curious if you guys (or anyone else) had some good info that was different.

How was the bite?

John

cornfed - you got it everything you stated is still the same. 1st one came at 4:30 2nd 4:31 and the other 2 somerwhere after 5 and 5:20. one was 12 and the other 3 were 11. They are mainly small but its nice to see the are getting bigger. Your right on as far as the window goes for about an hour its primetime the perch move out and in come the eyes and before you know it there gone and the crappies are hanging around. I usually miss at least 3 or four bites on any given night maybe those are the big ones!

Headed out tonight to try and find a few. Thanks for the info everybody! I be sure to let you know how I do.

Neth, let us know how you did.

I'll likely be out on the south side someplace tomrrow late afternoon into the evening hunting the ever-elusive 12" plus Harriet walleye. And if not the crappies are always biting on my spot anyhow!

I headed out to Harriet today for a few hours before work. Found myself on a good 6 inches of ice in about 12 ft. of water. Got into a few fish, mostly perch and some crappies here and there. Fish were really finicky today. The flasher had fish stacked in that 7 - 10 ft range the whole time. Just not many takers. Still fun to finally get out and do some fishing on this lake. I was using larva and waxxies today, however I usually use crappie minnows because I feel the fish on Harriet respond to them better. Does anyone else get this feeling? It seems every time i use the waxxies the fish dont bite well. Maybe its just me. Anyways good luck to all, be safe out there as I'm sure there are still some iffy ice spots.

I was out last weekend. We had some great success. However, if your off your spot, it is no good. We were on the weedline, in 16-17ft of water. It was on for about 35 min. and then it shut down. We caught 8 walleyes, some perch and crappies. The biggest walleye went 2lbs. I missed something that was pretty nice, set the hook and had 2 seconds of hard fight and then lost it. It just let go. We are going out again this weekend.

Was out last evening, couldn't find anything on the flasher in more than 14' of water, & nothing ever touched my tip-up. Caught several perch, bluegill, & crappie until the magic hour & then got on top of a big school of 8-10" crappies. The madness lasted about a half-hour & 20 crappies & then someone flipped the switch & everything died. No hits or action of the Vex after about 5:30. I packed it in around an hour later.

The wind was ripping pretty good, too!

We did really well last night. Two of us caught 9 walleyes, Tons of perch and a few nice crappies. We actually had a lot of success from 3:30 right until 6:30 and then it shut down. We were in 17ft of water on the weed edge. It was a real tenative bit. They would respond to jigging, but would only bite when it was stopped and then raised slightly.

Thanks for the reports.

But is anyone driving out there? How about calhoun?

Thanks again!

I have never seen a car on that lake and Ctuma makes a good point. I don't think they are allowed. I definately wouldn't right now even if it was. I would say there is 8" to 9" of ice.

Sorry I did not get back to you all sooner did real well Thursday night. Will be going back again! stay close to the weeds and hold on tight I can now say there are some big muskies in there!

!

• 2 weeks later...

was out last nite for the first time in a week and a half. Missed at least ten and caught all but one on a set line with fatheads. I caught only 5 - smallest was 7 and biggest was 16. Stayed out from 4 to 6 and man was it a cold walk back in!!! The past years the water has beeb very clear and last night the water was murky and cloudy visability seemed to be only 3 to 4 feet that was unusual. 2 weeks ago I killed the 12 inchers by jigging and the set line produced maybe 30 percent and even had 2 doubles until my heat ran out. It is a great 2 hour primetime bite lake.

Honestly I don't even look at depth on the vex. I just use it to find the bottom. I use my camera to find the edge of the weeds on the 4 main structures and stay away from the edge about 3 feet last night I would guess it was 18' I have caught them as shallow as 12'. I've never missed the bite using this highly complicated technique!! grin.gif

This is indeed a "magic" hour lake, I caught 3 perch before 5, then caught 8 walleyes (biggest was 11") from 5-6:30, after that the crappies moved in and I caught 3 7" before I called it a night. I was right on the weededge in 16.5' of water...

I was out again on Harriet last night. Three walleyes and some crappies around dusk. The walleyes were all small.

I know you usually have to do some sorting through small walleyes on Harriet, but does anyone have some tips on finding larger ones? Fish the classic structure in the lake, or find the weededge in a less "classic" spot away from any other fishermen? Fish shallower, fish deeper? Last night I was in 15 feet, with 30 feet about 20 yards away.

I've been using both jigging spoons with a minnow head, and dead-sticking a live minnow. Both ways catch small fish. Any different approach for bigger fish?

Just curious. I haven't caught a walleye big enough to keep out there this winter.

I was out on Harriet again last night too, and I had a problem, I was walleye fishing and caught 31 crappies, all 8"...i was literally 20 yards from a guy who caught 7 walleyes, his biggest ran 16", but most were smaller. My best action came right when I got set up, I put down a waxie to see if there were any perch around before dusk, and a 6 pound northern slammed my 1/32 ounce ratfinke. 5 minutes later my ultralight rod and 3 lb line brought him to the hole, I will try and post the picture later today. I was out on the 46th street bar, where were you at cornfed? I echo your question, does anyone know any tips for some bigger walleyes on this lake?

Yep, WallyGator, I was in the same area. Did you come out about 5 pm? Were you the middle shelter? How deep of water were you fishing?

You weren't the guy I talked to were you cornfed? I was in brown carhart bibs, I had the blue fish trap guide and I was in 16 ft of water, on the middle of the point. There were two guys without a shelter closer to shore from me, and then another guy and his son (who I talked to at the end of the night) in a blue yukon closest to shore. I came out about 4.

I was out on the east side bar, I guess a "nice to meet you" is in order RincRat! I am going back to Harriet Tues night with a buddy, we will be on the same bar, assuming it isn't packed....