• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

UPLR at Chester Report & Pictures (1/22/07)

There seems to be a pattern to night fishing at Chester Woods. The deep water fish are ever present, but it’s tough to get them to bite. It’s frustrating when your flasher is full of fish, but not a single one of them will hit.

I’ve found downsizing to be effective. I had my best luck on Custom Jigs and Spins diamond jig (#12) glow white tipped with a waxie. The 2 larger gills I caught last night were taken on a #16 Marmooska with 2 spikes (1 red, 1 white). I didn’t catch anything on minnows, but I didn’t fish them for all that long. We setup on a 31’ all evening.

What worked best for you?

Here are some pictures from last night.

1st Place

jon_crappies.jpg

2nd Place

ty_gill1.jpg

3rd Place

brian_gill1.jpg

While the fish I caught didn't quite make me richer, I did have good luck with an Angel Eye with a treble hook with three spikes on each hook, also caught a nice 8 1/2 inch gill on a Forage Minnow jig tipped also with spikes. I mixed and matched that colors, but it seemed that red spikes did get me more bites. I did lose a nice crappie at the hole on a number 10 diamond jig in fire tiger.

did u guys find the crappies in deeper water? were they suspended at any certin depths? i fished out there sunday morning and couldnt find any just sunnys and bass

Shawn,

I was in 31FOW. Most of the gills were in the bottom 6FOW. Many of the dink crappies were coming at 7-10' off the bottom. I found the larger crappies up higher than that. Sometimes as little as 5' under the ice.

I fished in 28 feet of water. I mainly used a white glow Northland Doodle Bug (don't know the size number but it was small) tipped with a waxie. Found the big crappies just below the ice 5-10 feet down, a lot of small crappies 10 feet off the bottom, and the sunnies I caught were scattered. If I marked a fish that was up high I pretty much knew I was going to get a bite, they were very aggresive. All the smaller crappies and bluegills would look at it a while before nibbling and it was hard to hook into them. I am definetly looking forward to the next event, wish I could have made the first two. Now I have to go fish Zumbro, I have never been out there in the winter.

For those that don't know, Buzzin' won the last event by a landslide. He had nearly a pound more fish than the 2nd place finisher. He knew what he was doing out there, thats for sure.

Congrats Buzzin'!

i guess i'll have to try deeper and up higher in the water, thanks for the reports,crappies are one of my favorite fish to catch but without electronics they can be hard to find, most of my "fun money" was spent on bow hunting stuff this year, maybe my next toy will be a vx-1