• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
berdman

Which Lake for Walleye?

berdman

I am starting to plan a trip to the Alexandria area for next September. I'm coming from VA but have fished Lake Long near Sauk Center past two years with my family. I was wanting to get some input on the better lakes for walleye. From reading your reports and previous postings I have narrowed it some to Ida, Miltona and possible Chain of Lakes. Can you help me narrow it somemore, also possible lodging. Thanks for the replys and info so far.

WaveWacker

You have narrowed your search down to some good options. I am biased towards Ida since it is the lake that I do 80% of my fishing in the Alex area on. Betsy Ross Resort is a place to stay on Little Ida (connected to Ida). Ida was good to me last Sept./Oct.

A very close second would be Miltona.

I can't honestly say that I put any real serious walleye time in on the Chain.

WW

hoggs222

The chain can be really tough at times for walleye. There is a lot of stucture and too many spots to try.

berdman

Thank you for your replies. Lake Ida and Betty Ross Resort looked to be the best options. Can Ida get really ruff and is the cove by Betty Ross somewhat protected. Planning to get the end of September booked since most resorts close in October. Looking forward to some good walleye. If ever out in the VA or NC area, I can help with some bass or surf fishing spots. Wish you all the best on the Ice Fishing, been a while since I done that (grew up in Northern Iowa)and miss it. Thanks.

ghotierman

berdman...welcome to the forum!

As Wavewacker noted, Ida and Betsy Ross resort are a good choice. You can easily take a day trip to Miltona as well. The big part of the lake can get bumpy, but the area around the resort is pretty sheltered. September will be a magical time around here. Lots of off water activity too...check out the fall festival at the winery, hike up to inspiration peak, I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

good luck and keep us posted if you have any other questions..

WaveWacker

Write back in when things get closer and hopefully I will have some good reports on what's going on. That last part of Sept./first part of Oct. is usually awesome (at least to be in a boat). The first week of Oct. was great for me last year. Plan on saving up some money to buy bait. I typically run with Redtails and they can range in the $6-$8/doz. range.

Wayne Ek

Ida is a good fall option. Betsy Ross is a good resort option. Even if the main lake gets rough, little Ida bay, where Betsy Ross is located is almost always fishable. If your bring a boat along then you can go to Miltona to fish also, it's close to Ida. Also in Sept. Ida should be producing some of the big smallies we all like to chase.