• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mike jupiter

loring pond

mike jupiter

... two years ago i read in the outdoors news that loring pond was abundant with crappies... some even over 1 lb.

i fished it last summer... sunfish were everywhere... i've never seen that many sunfish in my life.

anyone ever ice fish it?

fisherman-andy

It's pretty shallow & may get occassionally fish kills. The stories you hear of are of old & exagerated. Best time to fish it is in the Spring when the water levels are up and the Crappies are more aggressive. Sizes will vary as their stock locally by the DNR. They are spotty and there aren't alot of them so please C&R. Loring has mostly small sunnies. Summer & fall are bad due to low water levels unless we get large amount of rain. It practically managed as a children's fishing pond. I would not ice fish it but that's just me. It is just way too small of a pond.

fishwax

I have heard the same rumors. I would not eat anything out of there but I think it would be funny to see a portable set up in the middle. Would make a great picture. Let me know if you are going to go. I'd like to see that.

mike jupiter

yeah, i thought the same thing... hell, i might do it... my fiance's little sister kind of likes fishing, and i know we could catch a ton of sunnies.

i wonder if the ice is safe in winter though?!? don't they have weird oxygen systems hooked up in summer?

fisherman-andy

Somehow I find it funny grin.gif that you guys actually want to attempt this. Even though loring supposely has a dept of 16ft max, you may want a water depth map of the pond just in case cause you may find yourself trying to drill an ice hole on 2 ft of water depth in a bunch of different spots. The pond is alot shallower & smaller in the winter than in the spring. Take a good look at the size of Loring pond and it's enough to discourage most anglers. Good luck if ya'll try it! grin.gif

P.S. Report back to us sailor shall you locate any of them green submarines!

Cyberfish

Hey there are some huge gold fish in that there pond! and turtles too grin.gif

SupaMan

I caught a 24 inch walleye in there last spring... I released it too... So for sure, there should still be a nice wallaye in there.

fisherman-andy

I can assure you there isn't walleye in the pond. If there was it was probably a few stock locally by someone. I have fished Loring since I was a small kid in the 80's.

Goldfish, bullhead, sunfish & crappie are the only fish I have caught out of Loring over the years. The pond's fish population is probably 90% sunfish. Last time I fished it that was just last spring w/my little neice. There is an annual take your kid fishing program held by the DNR yearly on Loring since the pond is managed as a children's fishing pond.