• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Final Burntside Bash details

Almost ready shocked.gif This is my first BASH and I am glad to be going, It will be fun to meet new and old friends smile.gif. I hope to catch one fish see ya there grin.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Northlander

• Wade Joseph

• Xplorer

I would like to echo the sentiment that everyone pick up their trash. This goes way beyond the mumblings of a few lakefront homeowners. This is about keeping the great outdoors great. Minnows and biodegradables are ok, Beer cans and cigarette butts ARE NOT biodegradable. I have and will pick up beer cans, plastic wrappers and other trash regardless if they are mine or left by someone else. I however refuse to pick up cigarette butts and you can bet if I see you toss a butt on the ice, you will hear a comment or two from me about picking them up. Best idea, keep an empty can in your bucket our shack for your cigarette butts.

Lets all have a great weekend and leave things the same or better than we found them.

I just talked to a Ely resident who gets out on burntside quite a bit. He said it is ok to drive trucks, but to make sure we stay far away from the marked areas because no matter how cold it gets they never freeze good. He also said the lake trout fishing has been good lately. grin.gif

I still wouldn't drive a full size truck on the ice, even though quite a few people have. Keep in mind that if one person drives on the lake, others follow, whether it is safe or not. We have a few cool nights coming up and the thickness may change for the better before the bash. Snowmobiles and wheelers would be safer if current conditions continue.

Steve,

I will be up by noon on Friday, do you need help with setting up headquarters or anything?

I am bringing my weber up does anybody want to get together and grill early evening on Friday or should we just wait till Sat?

I'm with Great Outdoors with the driving. Unlike Mille Lacs, where the resort owners are monitoring their ice roads, no one is doing that here. Just yesterday on Mille Lacs some one went through and died, trapped upside down just in 4 ft of water. My guess is that he may have ventured from the "marked" roads, which are hard to follow anyway because of lack of snow. There are parts of Burntside that could be 20 inches and parts that could very well be 5 -7". It's been a very strange winter and it's not worth it.

I've got a picture of a friend that caught a nice 8 lber on North Arm last weekend, but couldn't get it to post. Good luck everyone and have a "blast." Wish I could join ya.

I wasn't trying to give bad advice. That's just what I was told. After listening to you guys I may bring the wheeler.

Hey guys I'm new to the site but i went to burntside last year and i am going up to burntside this year with jiganator, wade, and bluegillguy. Can't wait. See you all there.

Hey spinner, glad to see you signed up here. grin.gif

As for the trucks, it's still best if you have ATVs and sleds to bring them and plan on using them. That's by far the safest way to go.

Leaky, e-mail me the pic and I'll post it. grin.gif

Its nice to hear from some people that there is plenty of ice in some spots, but Great Outdoors, stfCatfish, ST and the other "locals" if you will, will know a lot better than any other second hand information.

I was on 16" of ice in Mille Lacs 2 weeks ago and there were people driving crewcab longbox diesel pickups weighing over 7500lbs (I used to own one)on the ice. People are sheep and will follow.

If one truck ventures out on unsafe ice this will become a very bad weekend. Lets just avoid the dangers and use what you've got. If you can only get there by foot, many people here have offered to help shuttle a few people to HQ. Lets listen to the people organizing the event and selling bait to the fisherman in the area. If they say don't drive, I'm staying off the ice with a truck.

The gear is almost packed and we're heading to ely tmrw. My SWR (more of a lake superior rig really) is all tied and ready for the big one to bring to babe's bait before it hits the table. Just wanted to wish everyone some luck and be safe! See you at THE BASH!

Maybe headquarters can be set up only a couple hundred yards off shore so those who have to walk can at least get there by foot and BS and make arrangements for a shuttle?

I have the itch now I need to get the Landermobil fixed tomorrow and hit the road 6ish Friday.

Anyone in the Duluth area want to caravan up. I think ST, Reefraker, Loonasea and myself will all be headed out of town at the same time so anyone wanting to follow along let us know.

chaffmj,

Sounds like we will be there around mid to late morning Fri. Leaving Cloquet around 6:30am. So if you want to stop by and chat, maybe play cards, BS or do some grilling or just stay and have a brew or something, someone should be around HQ's to join in. Pretty sure around dark thats where I'll be and you can always stop by! Open invitation. HQ will be within walking of the access if I can help it.

I'll be up Sat morning around 8ish. Me and Pops are bringing the wheelers, Jiganator and crew should be caravaning with us, they are bringing sleds. If anyone wants to drive on the ice, I say go for it, just please stay away from me. Ive been thru the ice before, although it was on foot, it ain't no fun!

Quote:

Maybe headquarters can be set up only a couple hundred yards off shore so those who have to walk can at least get there by foot and BS and make arrangements for a shuttle?

No worries, bubba. That's about how far out the 50 FOW breakline is, and that's where we've been planning to have HQ. Just like last year.

Cool and thanks Steve for getting this big event goin! Sure has taken off since year 1 hey.

The tip-ups are respooled, new rods are rigged, house is packed and charging and the OHV is in the garage. Heck the wife is almost excited to fish for trout.

Steve, I plan on leaving Poplar around 5:30ish and picking up I'lltakewhatIcanget and Quickstrike on the way.

Chalet parking lot at 6:30? Do you need me to bring any HD Kitchen bags from the restaurant? smirk.gif

Yep, it sure has, Steve. Can't have a great event without a great bunch of people attending it. I think one of the reasons for its popularity is that lakers are a bit unusual for the average walleye crowd, and coming to the Minnesota Arrowhead to fish them brings people to something that seems more wild. Then, once you come to the bash and catch your first laker, which delivers an uppercut stronger than Ali did and fights like a heavy juvenile delinquent on meth and steroids, you're hooked for life, and then, well, you JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH BASH! grin.gif

Cheffrey, you can probably leave the bags behind. After that last episode, I think N'lander will hold his shnit for hours rather than face the trauma of what happened before. blush.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I made great strides today as far finding all the Laker gear. Will be packed tomorrow and on the road around 6AM Fri.

A caravan would be good or at least travel in pairs just in case of a break down.

The citizens of this great state can rest assured that the crew from Fishing Minnesota. com leaves no mess behind.

One last reminder to pick up that trout stamp if you don't have one. You can do so at Fisherman's Corner, Great Outdoors or Babe's when you get your bait.

Im leaving my place about 6am. Cheffrey call me and we can meet at Fishermans Corner. I need to pick up some Slender Spoons to donate to the Bash. Ya bring some bags they have many uses. grin.gif

Im still hoping to have a sled or wheeler to bring along.

Steve,

If the sled thing falls through. I believe that I will have an extra along you can use. Just need to make sure there is enough snow to cool my liquid one.

Thanks Paul! I will know more in a few hours. Ill e-mail ya and let ya know. Thanks again.

Myself and EOTL (we're riding up together) should be getting up to the 33/53 merge shortly before 7am tomorrow.

Keep your eyes open for his pickup with the wheeler in the bed and the "HQ" behind heading up Ely way smile.gif We'll be the ones with "Cars" playing on the dvd in the backseat as you pass bye grin.gif

Steve, I may have to buy a couple of those slenders off ya since there is no way i'm gonna have enough time to get up to the Corner today.

So I've got just one quick question......are we going to get to see the rarest of fish this weekend, the originator/founding father of this fine event, the elusive one we call chunkytrout??? wink.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

EOTL,

Thanks for the invite. I'll stop by and chat on my way out Friday. I am still hoping to drive my truck somewhere if not maybe I can drop my weber and charcoal off near you for use on Friday and Saturday. If I can't drive I will be hoofing it and not going real far from the access. See ya Friday.

I am going to make it afterall!! bringing my rookie dad up with me. he has only caught lakers on open water. but he likes to b.s., with his german accent. we do not have any sled/wheeler, so i guess we'll be fishing by hq like last year. is it a donation thing for the suds again this year? hope to ice one this year. drive safe and see you guys on sat. anyone heard from casaloma yet? he's on the same lake as our cabin is.

How much snow is on the lake this year?

Is it better than last years glare ice and ruts.

I was hoping for enough snow to lube the slides and cool my Liquid cooled snowmobiles, along with better protection(snow instead of ruff ice) for the sled on my Clam portable

Anybody?

Thanks, Chuck

After reading some of the posts, it sounds like its turning into a 2-3 day bash. I'm excited though I'm only going for 1 day.

Truck is all set to go and snowmobile will be in tow. Leaving at 6am so I will hit B-side in the am and hit a local walleye lake in the afternoon. See ya all there.