• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
centralmneyeguy

generator

Question

centralmneyeguy

My brother and I are building a wheel house and are contemplating which generator to buy. I called a local Honda dealer and for a 2000 watt they want $949.99. A little more than I want to spend. I know they are fuel effient and quiet, but don't really feel like spending that kind of money. Are there any other brands that are dependable, somewhat quiet, and fuel effient?? We want to be able to run a tv/dvd player, battery charger, burner, and other small appliances. Any recommendations under $500 that would be sufficient and supply enough power?? Thanks for any help.

8 answers to this question

Tony Holland

I have seen one on a local site for 600.00. Search for Honda generator on craigslist.

lawdog

There are tons of copies of Honda Generators out there too. I bought a brand new 3000 watt one off eBay a couple years ago and the guy told me that literally every single part on it could be replaced with a genuine Honda or one like it came with there was no difference. The thing works awesome and I've run lots of stuff off it in the pits at the race track. Think I paid $346 for it...

PierBridge

With out a doubt spend the money and a get a Honda EU generator you won't be sorry I promise......no noise and very efficient.

hoggs222

We went out of Hunter Winfields on Mille Lacs and they use the Makita ones, they're about 300-400 cheaper than the Honda. They are really quiet too. They ran the heat, and all power for their wheelhouses.

End of the Line

You can buy NorthStar brands that have their own generator but still use a Honda engine; Northern Tool carries them. I bought a generator 5 or 6 years back from Harbor Freight. Its bigger than I need at 5750W surge & 5000W continous, but I also use it for back-up power at my house. However it came with a Briggs and Straton Vangaurd engine. Its very reliable, fairly quiet even for its size, and at the time I only paid $550 bucks shipped to my door. I dont use it everyday but its got a fair amount of hours on it, and when the truck didn't start because it was so cold at LOW the generator did so I could plug in the block heater to get the truck running. grin.gif

I would also consider a Generac, but whatever one you buy make sure it has the idle down feature when there's not a load on it; saves fuel. If your just using it for ice fishing a few weekends a year most should last you a long time anyway.

centralmneyeguy

Thanks for the replies guys! lawdog, what brand is the one that you bought? I think 3000 watts would be plenty for what we are using it for. Does it go through a lot of fuel?

Whoaru99

Well, one of the problems with the less expensive generators is that their watt ratings tend to be overstated.

In some fairly recent reviews, Honda and one other brand (can't remember which) were the only ones that met or exceeded their specified ratings. All the others were under spec by a fairly surprising amount. If I recall, one particular brand was over 1000 watts less than the rating.

So, when comparing prices to a Honda 2000 watt unit, it's probably wise to use pricing from units that are 3000-3500 watts for more of a true power/price comparison.

Also, don't forget that when comparing noise levels, 10dB difference is equal to twice as loud - i.e. 70dB is twice as loud as 60dB. That's not just consideration for you, but others within earshot of your generator too. wink.gif

hoggs222

Here's the Makita I was talking about. It ran the heat, tv, ps2, lights, charged all flashers & cameras.

Makita Generator