• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Caesarfishinguytoo

Christmas Lake Ice Report?

Caesarfishinguytoo

I know this lake is by far one of the last lakes to freeze in the area and I did see an earlier post that said it still had quite a bit of open water, but I was wondering with the frigid temperatures if there is any kind of an update that I can get with regards to ice thickness? Is it being fished yet? Do I still have to get the lund out to fish it?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

schr0563

Most of the lake froze last Friday night but there was still a small patch of open water out by the sunken island on Sunday afternoon. Both the north and west bay had 6-8 inches of ice. I would imagine its even thicker now. The ice that most recently froze had 4-5 inches just prior to the snow.

Fishing has been average. I go out there with good intentions to focus strictly on the practically nonexistent trout. After a couple of hours of this I revert back to the same old sunfish, crappies, northerns, and bass. It's time to scout out some new waters...

mnmuskiemaster

Im thinking about heading out there on saturday for a while with some more or less "first time" icefishermen. I've never been to that lake and was wondering if anyone knows of any "hot" spots on the lake that they wouldn't mind shareing.......(a general description would work and gps points would be wonderful)

Wookiee

You're kidding right?

SWMuskeye

Jeez guys,

He asked for general info, I'm sure he was kidding about the GPS deal.

What are you going for? Pannies can be had along the steep weed drop offs in the northern bay (near the access).

Or near the west bay along similar structures. Its not a bad sunfish lake, crappies are few, but pretty decent size when you find em.

Its cool out there, you can sight fish in 20 feet and watch them bite. But make sure you slush your holes a little and keep quiet or you'll have a tough go at it.

Crappies can move in real shallow at night on this lake.

Good luck.

Caesarfishinguytoo

Quote:

(a general description would work and gps points would be wonderful)

Hey MMM,

I went out Thursday and we got into a nice group of sunfish and crappies at the following spot. You had to pick through the Sunfish a little about 3 to 1, but all the crappies were nice eaters.

N 44 53.887 // W 93 32.652

and good luck to ya,

mnmuskiemaster

hey SW and Caesar,

Thanks for the info im sure it will help!!! ill have to check out that spot on saturday hopefully its still hot!

Im the little nieghbor kids dereck and traivs will have a great time on there first time out on the ice!!!!

oh and notenuffun thanks for the comment tongue.gif

mnmuskiemaster

WOW GREAT SPOT CAESAR WE SLAYED THE CRAPPIES A FEW REAL NICE ONES WE ALSO SNAGED A COUPLE OF 3-4 LB NORTHERNS ON THE TIP UPS A LITTLE CLOSER TO SHORE

WHAT A GREAT DAY UNTIL LIL DERECK SPILLED THE BAIT ALL OVER HIMSELF WHY HE HAD THE BUCKET ON HIS LAP IS BESIDE ME

OVER ALL HAD GREAT TIME

got fish?

What is the ice thickness? I haven't fished this lake in a few years and I am looking to go out tomorrow afternoon.

Caesarfishinguytoo

Quote:

What is the ice thickness? I haven't fished this lake in a few years and I am looking to go out tomorrow afternoon.

When I was out a week ago it was a good 9+ inches

PiKeGuY101

I heard rumor that you need a trout stamp to fish Christmas Lake, is this true? I live in the area and have always wanted to try it out... Have anyone had issues with your camera spooking the fish out there???

ctuma

You only need a trout stamp if you plan on keeping a trout.

Maximum12

Ahh, I'm not much of a trout guy, but make sure you read the regs 'cause it's not just needed when keeping trout.

The regs say you need a stamp "when fishing on designated trout lakes." I have no clue whether Christmas is a "designated" trout lake but you may want to check out both the regulations & the status of the lake before you try it out. Or perhaps there is someone around here who has definitive info on either or both of those matters. grin.gif

got fish?

I have fished Christmas many times and have had the DNR come and check for my license and have never encountered any problems with not having a trout stamp. You will be fine as long as you don't have a trout in your bucket.

Caesarfishinguytoo

Christmas Lake is NOT a designated trout lake, so you do NOT need a trout stamp to fish the lake. You are also allowed to use live minnows on the lake if you choose.