• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trapping- What did you catch today?

leechmann

Quote:

Well I think I might be pulling my traps tommorow, since we are getting the "Storm of the Season" this weekend. Kind of a dissapointing season for me this year. I think I caught as many cats as I did wild animals. Catching feral cats has really put a damper on things for me. I live in a new development but I have a little over 10 acres on the Rum River and I have seen a lot more houses going up in the area. It just makes me mad that people just let their cats run free and cause havoc on the natural habitat. I guess I dont know if they are cats being released as pets or just feral because none of them have collars or looked to be taken care of but it is still frustrating. I have had wood ducks, turkeys and grouse here before but have seen a decline in the last couple of years and it makes me kind of wonder. Well I guess I am done venting about this issue but I was just wondering if anyone else has ran into this type of problem. Hopefully I put a dent in their numbers this season.

It's probably on the decline from just the loss of habitat combined with the cats. I wish people would keep better control of their animals

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leechmann

• fishermann222

• xHCxOutdoorsman

• The Grebe

It looks like this thread is wrapping up for the season. I just wanted to thank all who contributed, it made my day coming in here every morning and checking out all your experiences from the day before. Thanks also for shedding some good light on the sport of trapping.

I know absolutely nothing about trapping but somehow I was always drawn to this thread. With that said, I too want to thank all that posted their stories and pics!! I have opened this thread usually 2 or 3 times a day to read and I especially enjoyed all the pics! I see some are talking about a spring beaver trap, so maybe we will see some pics of those!

I never did get to see that Skunk skined out.

Caesar, I agree with you...never trapped but at the cabin and before that my Grandparent's cabin and especially Great Grandfather's cabin before that there are/were plenty of furs around and I was always intrigued by the sport.

yeah this is the time of the season that is a real bummer. My season is still open, but it is not really ethical to continue to trap rubbed fox. Better to save the population and animals for next year. Glad everyone enjoyed the thread.

I'm sorry Fish Guy. I didn't know you were waiting to see tha skunk skun out. I have four of them which are flesched, stretched and dried. I am shipping them to the tannery today. I will post a picture of them in 60 to 90 days when they are tanned and returned to me.

Thanks to all those who participated in this thread. I have to say I looked forward to posting my daily catch and seeing how everyone else did each day. Thanks to Fishermann for all the Alaska pic's. This is a great thread, lots of information on here. I look forward to starting a new spring beaver season thread soon.

Here's those skunks!!!!!!!!! Stinkers

skunkspelts.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally i got back on i had a crap with the comp but now i have a new fast one and i am going to attempt to get my pics up

Leechmann 222 and fishermann, (as well as other trappers!!!)

Have you guys been reading the post titled "COMMENTS FOR THE DNR" on the Hunting Forum????

Maybe you have, but I feel I am one of the few defending the use of the 220 on there and need some other knowledgable trappers chiming in. Thanks...

I will check it out, thanks for the heads up. I know the MTA is working hard on this battle also.

Well its that time of year again. The MTA is doing their annual raffle. This year there is a lot of big prizes and a lot of guns being offered. I am selling tickets if anyone would like one let me know.

Thanks for the support.

I also read that artical in the great outdoors section that is so irritating i was not very happy when i read that... you know that is the risk you run when you run hounds and bird dogs and especially when your dog leaves its yard (not on a leash)it there own fault i have had my bird dog get into a leg hold when i was hunting i didnt get mad i just got him out then reset the trap i have already come to the fact that it might happen with my bird dog or my hounds its just somthing that happens and its a risk when ever you got out and do it...... but on a lighter note does anyone know how to put pics up i have them scanned on to my comp its just getting them here thanks

XHC Now you have to register with photobucket.com. Then you upload the pics onto your album. Then copy the url and come to the site, click on post a message and below the text box click on image delete whatever is in the box and enter the url, and bam, you got the picture uploaded on the site

Well with a bit of help form you nice guys i was able to put my pics up so this is my first year of trapping mainly in the cities of mn at least close to them near forest lake i started trapping when i got back from south dakota where i learned from some family friends that i guided bear hunting here i only trapped from mid jan through the end of feb

Image4.jpg

Image9.jpg

This was my frst yote and its skin

Image5.jpg

My second yote 3 days later

Image3.jpg

Third yote 2 days after the last

Image2.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/xhcxoutdoorsman/Image8.jpg

First Grey Fox four days after last yote

Image7.jpg

The next week after grey fox

Image1.jpg

Fisher i caught back in dec on last day of the season

Image6.jpg

The end of my season got about 150 for all i caught another racoon up at my cabin that i didnt have a pic of but it brought 15$ in the round

thanks all of you who helped me out can't wait for next season

Ps i went to gander mountain (i just turned 18) i went to get my sports license (fishing and small game) i was also going to get my trapping license for next year and the cashier took my drivers license and started going through the prosess and he comes back hands me my DL and sports license and i asked him why my trapping license wasnt on it, he told me i didnt need one because the small game covers it and i told him it didnt and he shouldnt say that because it can get people in major trouble i told him to look at his sheet again until he found it then i talked to the manager i just explained to him what happened and that the employees should be better educated and informed about that kind of stuff since they "live outdoors and what not" any how i emailed the corperate head quarters and told them all of my complaints and i dont plan on going back for a while until something happens am i going over board on this alot has gone on with me not liking gander so yeah well sorry for the tangent but any how see you guys later and thaks,

xhcxoutdoorsman

Great pics, XHC, you had a real active start to your first trapping season. Glad you were able to share the pictures. Hope everything goes well over the summer, look forward to chatting with you next fall.

Take Care, Leechmann

• 1 year later...