• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April 20th, 2007 - Sturgeon Excursion

Basscatcher, If you still have room for one more it would be a dream come true. My email is [email protected] I live southern minnesota so try to hook up with you on thursday early morning or meet you up there. Man the old fishing blood is boiling now. Hope all can work out. Thanks in advance for everything.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eyepatrol

• harvey lee

• hanson

• iffwalleyes

Quote:

I know of a couple of places, but have never fished them. Brianna (and I) would love it if we could get together and fish a bit closer to home. Heck, I would even trade a trip and show you everything I know about the river around St Cloud or a muskie trip (I could supply all the stuff.)

Thats a deal! smile.gif

I don't want to speak for Schuster's, but if it is like last year's event, you do not have to fill a cabin. We were in a 2 bedroom cabin, that could easily have slept 5 people. We had 3, so it was $60 a night. There was no dock fee and the cabins were clean and comfortable.

I don't mean to rant, but I am kind of surprised that there were not any other young people there. It's a relatively cheap trip, the fishing is catch and release, so if a fish breaks off, who cares, you were going to release it anyways.

Last year, Brianna (13 at the time), had largest and most fish in our boat. She posted photos and told the story on her Myspace page and wrote at least one paper about it. She has a photo of her with her big fish in her locker at school. That trip has been the highlight of her fishing career.

It seems to me that this is the PERFECT trip to introduce a kid to a weekend fishing trip.

So, for those of you leaving kids at home that weekend, maybe give it another thought.

Tom B

As for the cabin rate, I was told a little differently if we didn't fill the cabin. But, it looks like we're going to be full now with wall-eye-assassin potentially coming on board!

Getting the kids up there I think is a great idea too. I'm definitely going to get my kids up there some year too, but right now, those fish could pull my kids into the lake instead of the other way around. smirk.gif

Btw...wall eye assassin....I'll send ya an e-mail tonight.

Quote:

I'm definitely going to get my kids up there some year too, but right now, those fish could pull my kids into the lake instead of the other way around.
smirk.gif

Those fish could pull me into the lake too! wink.gif

Quote:

I don't want to speak for Schuster's, but if it is like last year's event, you do not have to fill a cabin. We were in a 2 bedroom cabin, that could easily have slept 5 people. We had 3, so it was $60 a night. There was no dock fee and the cabins were clean and comfortable.

I don't mean to rant, but I am kind of surprised that there were not any other young people there. It's a relatively cheap trip, the fishing is catch and release, so if a fish breaks off, who cares, you were going to release it anyways.

Last year, Brianna (13 at the time), had largest and most fish in our boat. She posted photos and told the story on her Myspace page and wrote at least one paper about it. She has a photo of her with her big fish in her locker at school. That trip has been the highlight of her fishing career.

It seems to me that this is the PERFECT trip to introduce a kid to a weekend fishing trip.

So, for those of you leaving kids at home that weekend, maybe give it another thought.

Tom B

I couldn't agree more. What a great deal for the youngins. The only downside I can see is that they may get a bit spoiled reeling in all those large fish. smile.gif

I mean you could literally hand the pole off, tell them to push the button, or open the bail (no casting required) let the line out till it stops. Turn the handle a few times and now hang on!

Quote:

The only downside I can see is that they may get a bit spoiled reeling in all those large fish.
smile.gif

You don't know how true you are. Brianna refuses to fish for sunnies, rarely for walleyes and refers to 15 lb carp as "cookie cutters."

It is a treat though to watch her back reel and lead fish right into a net, including her giving the netter directions on when and where to scoop.

It was also fun having her in the boat. We were making sandwiches in the boat during last year's trip and she had 1 piece of bread left. "Throw it in the river, the gulls will get it." I said.

She replies, "but there aren't any gulls around."

After alot of cajoling she finally threw the bread in the water. Within 5 seconds, there were 2 gulls try to figure if they could get the bread without gettng to close to the boat. Another 5 seconds, there were 5 more and one finally dropped down and gulped it down.

We laughed about that for an hour.

We also had a pair of binoculars and she used them to watch the gulls, an eagle and what everyone else was catching.

Anyways, you get the idea that I think bringing a kid along is a good idea.....

Tom B

I'm there, but Itm taking Harvey Lees's corner of the boat. I have to redeem myself this year!

It is always a fun time when you can refer to a 39 incher as a dink! There is nothing more crushing than seeing both fishing partners bot a fish over 50 inches and I can't break the 40" mark.

mw

Mike,just be aware that Paul charges a HONDO for that seat. She is not cheap, but a good one at that.

Guys,

With how hot that seat was I think this year the price will have to go up to two hundo laugh.gif

Sitting on ML catching fish on Rattle Reels......Gotta love Technology laugh.gif

Anyone know what time we can check into the cabins? Doesn't say on their site and I thought I'd ask here first in case someone knows off the top of their head.

I would bet you can check in as soon as you get there. This is usually a slower time of the year for them there since the walleye season is shut down. So you probably can check in right away.

Our number has doubled, and now are at 6 for the trip. We may have room for another in one of our boats if anyone is looking. Brent

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a fishing program on tv today and they were sturgeon fishing. All I can say it it has really made me excited to go now. I think I have one guy talked into coming now I just have to work on the second guy. You catch just one of these fish and you are hooked.

I just made myself some reservations at Schuster's they were all out of smaller cabins. So I book a 7 person cabin I think I will have about 3 with me so there is room if anyone wants to bunk in with us let me know and we will fill the cabin up. 20 bucks a person per night you can't hardly pass that up man.

Well, I have 15 guys lined up and ready for Sturge Excursion 07!

Trouble is most have never been up there. I have a feeling I will be feeling a tad crowded on the water.... crazy.gif

I cant wait!

I know this is still a little ways off yet, but anyone planning to eat dinner at the lodge at least one night? Would like to know so that we get a chance to meet folks and put faces to names, etc. smile.gif

If not dinner, surely we'll be in there for a soda or something. wink.gif

Bass last year the only people in the Lodge were FMers. We had alot of fun. Probably one of the funniest parts of the weekend was the socializing.

Eric, If I remember correctly, I ate all the meals I had there at the resort. I think I even had a soda pop there, but only one.

Awe if you get that record sturgeon you just have to put the boat in gear and drag it to the docks. We will get you fixed up with a pop there grin.gif.

Quote:

I guess all I have to do is to get Paul W to get me to the right spot and then shes all history.

Oh No! You are relying on Paul to get you to the right spot?? blush.gif

If you get into a mess of suckers, please keep them for me alright!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone on this great posting site. Myself and my 15 year old son would be very interested in going on this trip. However, biggest problem is I don't currently have a boat. Harvey Lee or Basscatcher, I grew up in Gaylord and actually graduated in 1978, oh oh, kinda dates me. Anyway, parents still live in Gaylord. Would be great if it somehow worked out that we could come up and participate in this awesome fishing event. I fished all over the place, but have never fished for the elusive sturgeon on the Rainy River, this looks like an absolute riot and my son would never forget a trip like this. I fished with Paul W. one halloween night on Mille lacs two years ago, so maybe he remembers me too. Anyway, let me know if something could possibly work out with anyone out there. Tight lines to all and Thanks.