• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If I had a 100lb cylinder laying on it's side...?

Reynolds

Question

I had my two empty 100lb cylinders laying on their sides for the past few months, should they still be alright to use? I have heard some people say that if you lay them on their side you can damage the valve. Does the same hold true for an empty cylinder? I would assume they would be alright. Figured it better to ask and than assume.

6 answers to this question

Stand them back up for 12 Hours so the Freon drains back to the bottom of the compressor......wait a minute thats for Refrigerators sorry.

Empty you'll be fine.... grin.gif

Interesting on the Gas valve never heard of that.

Maybe that part about the valve being damaged is with respect to the new-style tanks that have the OPD or what ever it's called.

100lb'ers not a big deal except you leve the valve more vulnerable to being damaged. Like somebody mentioned if it has any liquid in it (in order for the pressure relief valve to function properly) or any time really, its best to have it secured upright.

We have noticed quite a few 20 lb tanks where not filling. After a while we noticed a trend that these tanks where taken out of the vehicle after being transported on there side. "dropping" the tank (litterally hold it upright and smack it on the ground) would allow the propane to again flow into the tank. The conclusion that I came up with was that these cylinders where being transported on there side allowing the liquid propane to constantly slosh up against the float for the OPD device. If this float sticks in the up position it will not allow the tank to be refilled. The sloshing in theory could also ruin the calibration of the device. Allowing more or less propane into the tank before the OPD device enables itself.

I've also encountered the EFD tripping while filling. This is a different problem. Initially you will hear the flow of propane into the tank and then it suddenly stops. Turning off the valve and waiting for a little bit will reset this and everything is fine.

When did they start putting OPDs on 100 lb cylinders? I have only seen them on 20's.

OPD valves are not required on 100 lb cylinders. The reason tanks should be in the upright position is so that the pressure relief valve in the vapor portion of the tank. When the tank is laying down there could be liquid propane in contact with the relief valve and it would not function properly in case of fire. They function properly as soon as tanks are in the upright position.

Anything over 40 lbs does not require an OPD valve. I did forget to mention the intent of my post which has now been edited.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.