• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

never been to millie lacs need help

SkinnyVinny05

i will be heading up there on wensday morning but ive never been and need some help

like where should i go to fish?

how do i access the lake?

if all possible whats the best way from st paul?

and last of all is it worth the 3 hour drive?

thanks alot

skinny vinny, read the last 15 pages of posts on this site and you will be able to make some pretty good choices when you arrive. In short, the south end has more ice than the east and north ends. You are best off going out of a resort and usually pay a trail fee to get onto the ice. Best times to fish per posts seems to be sunrise to about 11 am and a bite from near sunset to about 8 pm. Again, read, read and read and you will be informed....

well to answer a couple of your questions.where to start... hmm its a very big lake and if ya got a GPS with any map chips in it, it will save alot of time in finding a spot. it all depends on what side of the lake yo go out of. best way to get on the lake is to go out of a resort. they will know the ice contitions and will tell ya if there are spots to stay away from. and the way to get up there from st paul i would think takin 35 up to 18 out of hinkley that will bring ya to te east side of the lake. and it shouldnt take ya more then two hours to get there. i live in brooklyn park and a hour and a half is all it takes me to get to the big pond. and i think its worth it for the day trips i just made one yesterday didnt have family comin over tell 6 so i left at 6 in the morning and was home by 5 for the family gathering. saw lots of fish on the flasher but only pulled in three perch. good luck.

iceman

yesterday i was about 1/2 mile out on the south side. i could have walked but i had my snow machine with me. there was alot of portables fishing between me and the shore. there was trucks out in wahkon bay but i would NOT recomend it i only mesured 11-12 inches.

iceman

thanks alot iceman i dont mean to bug you but how would i get to the south side everyone keeps saying the south side is safter right now since ive never been i dont wanna end up in the wrong spot or on someone resort or anything

well i go up 169 and when i hit 27(highway that runs the south end of the lake) find a acsess or resort to go out of. from that side of town now that i think about it the easiest way might be take 65 up to highway 27 go west and youll hit the south east corner of the lake. email me if ya want at piratesofbpATaolDOTcom

iceman

ok thanks alot so it be 494 east/west to 169(n,s,e,w) to 27(n,s,e,w) also do you have to pay to get out on a resort? hey iceman what kind of fish do you target?

check out this other thread i made

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB30&Number=936614&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

these things work i swear on anything when nothing else is getting bits these do i dont even tip them with anything usually just jig with em but if you like them and wanna make some i can hook you up with a 10 count of 5 inch gulps for all the help

thanks alot for all this help

ok bear with me i am a north metro guy and dont venture south to much so if i remember right take 494 to 94 west and take that to rogers and head north on 101. and 101 turns into 169 and then go up tell right after onamia and then youll go east. on 27. right on the corner of 169 and 27 is a good bait shop. can ask any questions about fishin depths and ice thickness. i might be headin up there tomorrow morning if i get the day off. be back late tuesday night cause i wanna fish the night bite. and will report how i do. i have been goin through my maps and reports for the past three years on early ice i think i might have found a "text book" spot ill let ya know how i do.

iceman

well i didnt get up there today. a guy at work called in and i had to fill in for him. might be headed up around noon tomorrow if i can get the day off. this week is spotty for me on workin days. email me with contact numbers and in i get to go ill get ahold of you. good luck if i cant get up there.

iceman