• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
frabillfisher

What duck gun for next season?

frabillfisher

OK i have been researching long and hard on my next semi-auto duck gun and am down to 3 choices...The browing gold stalker, franchi 1-12 or something like that or the stoeger model 2000....they seem to be basically the same gun look and have basically the same inertia driven design..the only difference i see is the 1.the price is higher on the browning and 2. i have heard more complaints about the franchi, havent heard about the stoger...i am really just leaning twoards paying the extra 400 bucks or so for the new browning and just know i bought one of the best guns i can but would be nice to save a few bucks if the cheaper models will do just as good as job...what are your opinions on these 3 models or you experiencs...can never start preparing for next waterfowl season too early}!

PikeBayCommanche

Have to go Beretta Extrema for my next gun. Seen it in action during duck season. Great Gun. Saving up for it right now. wink.gif

IceHawk

I personally like Rem 1187's. They are definately my gun of choice for waterfowl. Of the ones you mentioned I would go with the Frannchi. I have guys I hunt with that have these and they like them alot.

RAJ

Brownings are gas operated, aren't them??

My 2 cents is that you get what you pay for. So I would stay away from the stoeger just because a $400 auto isn't going to stand up to the MN winters. My brother has a franchi and loves it. My next gun, either a beretta or SBE2.

stretch

i think your wrong RAJ! i have a stoger and it has lasted for 5 years. i haven't had a problem at all with it. this year alone it's been in three different states and canada. the only problem i have had is when i don't clean it for a week or two of hunting, it gets a little slow. the one gun i would stay away from is the beretta extema. i think it's junk. my one buddy has had nothing but problems and he cleans it all the time. when we had this last cold snap, it wouldn't cycle a new shell threw and if it did the bolt wouldn't close all the way. i were to get a new gun it would be a new stoger or a benelli super black eagle. her's my 2 cents

RAJ

I've never owned a stoeger, it's just what i've been hearing from others.

You are going to hear good and bad on any gun! It just depends on who you talk to. Pesonally, I'd see how the gun feels to you and go from there.

Sartell Angler

Rem. 870 Mag!

Oh you said autoloader? Then I can't help ya.

hanson

1 question...

What's wrong with your current gun?

Bushwacker

I have a Browning Gold 3.5" and really love it. If you would have asked me two years ago I would have said it was the worst gun I ever owned. I switch solevants and it has performed flawlessly since then. From -20 degrees late season goose last year to 90 degree sporting clays it has worked great. With something like a auto-loader you will hear good and bad about every single brand. I have a buddy who is on his third SBE2 because of problems with each one. He paid $1600 for it. There are some many parts and variables such as shells, cleaner, ect that have to work together right for the guns to work. My advice would be to buy whichever gun feels best for you and go from there.

I like my beretta 390. It cycles shells in the coldest weather, and shoots very well for me. The 870 will never fail but it will beat the heck out of me every time geese fly over(I kep it to the side with goose loads).. they shoot very well.

With any auto loader in extreme conditions(duck hunting can do it), you have to keep your gun clean.. how and what a person uses to clean there autoloader of any kind will determine how well its going to stand up in very cold conditions. Newer guns usually have less mishaps.. nothing has any wear, there is no charred powder remnants built up anywhere.. the test over time generally tells more than one season. If you want to learn the best cleaning methods for your gun, and the best lubricants to use.. getout and bust some clays this winter if it ever gets cold outside again. The peformance of the gun when your shooting cold is most important because that is what is going to be late season duck hunting when you pick up the gun. Any lubricant heated up will work well, some make things worse when they are cold(rem oil).

Get the gun that fits you best, avoid the guns people have a ton of problems with, and take care of your gun and you will be happy with your choice.

stretch

i'm sorry RAJ. people who i know that own a stoger have all said good things about them.

Gordie

I have a browning gold hunter in 3inch and love it and if I was going to get another gun just for duck hunting I would have to go to benelli a buddy has one and he wont even use anything else that he has. its light wieght and recoil is considerably less Thats what he said.

frabillfisher

The only reason im leaning twoards the browning gold is because i;ve used my uncles a few times before when mine had broke down and it seemed to fit me realllly nice, both times i had it the first i got 2 deer, then i used it duck hunting the next time and semmed like i couldnt miss a duck, my dad also recently bought a new win superx3 and i shot that and is still didnt feel as smooth as the brownings action did...the bad things ive seen and heard about franchis are the bolt handle falling out in the field, the guy i new used a screw to open his chamber?Keep the reports comin guys got some money saving to do so i have time to decide

fwp

Have to go with the Benelli SBE...you can't go wrong...survey said...Benelli...the best of the best...good luck

Pistol Pete

I've owned my Benelli super black eagle for around 10 years. This year after much hard use and little cleaning I had my first ever load that did not cycle. Cleaned it that night and works fine. It has worked in -20 shooting south dakota pheasants and 103 shooting MN crows. Would I buy another, you bet

ec30_06

sbe2 gets my vote

cat-man

SBE with a patternmaster is the the gun for me had others but the benelli is the only way to go. my 2cents

woodsandwaterguy

Ive also been looking for next season. My buddies shoot all sorts of different guns and the one ive been impressed with is the benelli M2. Its basically a mini version of the SBE2 and shoots only up to 3 inch. He shoots it because it fits him so well, hes a pretty small fella. I think that is the key, go to a local gun shop and stay there for a while. Shoulder as many guns as you can with a coat on too is a good idea. Feel and fit i think are the most important. The SBE2 seems to fit a lot of hunters and it fits me like a glove so thats what i will be going with. Now i just have to raise the 13 benjamns.

RAJ

I've seen 2 stoegers come back with the barrels in pieces, so i don't recommended them.

mpester

I used my father's new Browning Gold this year and liked it a lot. I went to buy a Browning Gold to replace my old, beat to hell, A-5 but tried out the fit of the Browning Silver and ended up buying the Browning Silver. It cost a bit less than the Gold. I used the Silver for half of the duck season and I like it a lot. I killed more than a few ducks with it and it works well. I like the style of the Browning Silver more than the Gold. For prices, I got the gun at Cabela's because I had a lot of gift cards and they had a sale. I saw both the Gold and Silver for less money at Gander in Woodbury this Sunday.

RBuker

I've got both a browning gold and a benelli. I like them both but turn to the benelli almost every time. I just like it better over all and it's never ever failed me. I've had the browning get a little bucky in extreme conditions or if it was getting dirty.

mpester

I was just looking at the Browning web page and I see that they are offering a $100 rebate on the Browning Gold valid until 11/30/2007. If you have a Cabela's Visa card, they regularly send offers in the mail to spend more than $450 and get $100 off at checkout. With these two offers you could save $200 plus you get an extra 2% in Cabela's bucks for using the Visa. Gander Mountain may still be cheaper since the $100 rebate is from Browning.

frabillfisher

Well i went to look at guns today and i delted the stoeger completely from my list because the rib seemed way to blocky and felt kinda cheep...i looked at one of the franchi and it fit ok but didnt seem the best...the winchester superx2 fit pretty good and all they had was a browning gold deer gun and wasant the same as the gold stalker but i liked the feel of that also...i geuss im just gunna keep shopping and wait till i limit my choice to 2 or 3 and shoot them all at once and see wat works best..any one else have opinions?

Rost

M2

I'd bet I have shot 5000 rounds through my M1 in the last 12 seasons without a single problem.

river huntfish

benelli super nova ( go to the pump)

bassNspear

I have a 390 berreta camo, and i will never get rid of it.

bassNspear

My new one is ither going to be a extreame, or a teckney laugh.gif(forgot how to spell it LOL)

frabillfisher

I already owned a bennelli nova and didnt like it due to the size of the bead...the only thing i like about it was the 3 and a half capability..my dad just bought a superx3 a month ago and thats a pretty dang nice fitting gun too, just added another gun to my choices...another advantage i see to the gold is the price, its top of the line yet it still has a lower price and there offering the 100 rebate...still have to come up with the money i geuss i'll be "window Shopping" untill about spring.

Ufatz

Gee. Lets see. What duck gun for next season. Well, yawn, I guess it'll be the same old 1958 Browning Superposed I've used every season.Ho hum. cool.gif

caseymcq

I have a Beretta A391 Extrema 3.5 and I love it. It is a great gun. I actually bought the Extrema rather than the Extrema 2 because it was $500 cheaper. The Extrema 2's offer more recoil dampening features but with the gas operation even shooting 3.5"s wasn't too bad.

If I wouldn't have bought the Beretta I think I would have been looking at a Benelli SBE. Those seem like they are the cream of the crop.

I don't think you could go wrong with a Browning.

Remington just came out with a new semi-auto, the 105 CTi. If you are a lefty(I am) one nice feature of this gun is that it ejects the shells out of the bottom. I know manufacturers make left-handed semi-autos but they aren't always easy to find. The gun is pretty much ambidextrous.

Good luck with your gun search.