• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Current Ice / Fishing Report ?

Northland Sportsman

From what I heard the guy with the red truck was heading from rodgers up here to Waskish along the shoreline?Any one no if that is true?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kelly-p

• Random guy

• cookie129

• Meadow Creek

It looks like that was the case Cookie as I see that it is now set up out from Aggaziz along the last sandbar.

I just came in from Hillman's road. 3.2 miles straight west where there is a small pressure ridge then NW another 3/4's of a mile where it runs into a new crack. The road isn't crossing any cracks. Buddy isn't going to try bridge anything this early in the year but we are out deep enough to look for some crappies. It stayed pretty consistent at 12 to 13 inches of ice. Nice and smooth once we are past the first 3/8's of a mile. The patches of rough ice are easy to see yet as the chunks are still sticking up above the snow. 90% of it appears to be be good clear ice.

Buddies's first impression is that from 2 miles and in there are a lot of walleyes but not many small enough to keep. Out from 2 miles there seems to be a higher % of keepers.

Westwind was working on their road out to the pressure ridge yesterday but I am not sure if they are allowing vehicles out yet.

Mort's and Rodger's are letting light vehicles out.

Hey Kelly turn on youre A/C at home and open all youre doors and windows so it will cool down up there!! grin.gifgrin.gif Hopeing to head up there the 29th for a couple of days with the family. Need a little more ice for the missus though.

No it is not Red Lake and it is not this year, it was posted to bring to light what happens when you go out driving on sketchy ice.

Yikes! I understand trying to look out for the safety of fisherman in which might not be familiar with the current ice conditions but???

Anyone have a guess if i'd be allowed to take my Tahoe out this coming weekend from hillmans?? or south shore?

The ice looks like you will probably be able to drive out by this weekend, but I would call ahead. The walleye bite is really close to shore on the south side.

Quote:

This is just one of the reasons that I trust what Kelly says every time.

This was just posted on Roger's website

Sunday, December 17, 2006

The walleye fishing is still very good, just about everyone is leaving with their limits, you may have to sort through quite a few fish to find 2 in the slot but it is possible, the good parts is we do not have to go very far from shore.

I had to pull the bridge back to shore this afternoon and I have shut the access down to vehicle traffic because of a bad crack just a few hundred yards of shore. The ice at the crack was not breaking it was just sinking from the weight of the bridge itself, the ice conditions are not a whole lot better than they were a week ago, the ice itself is measuring close to 12 inches but it does not seem to have a lot of strength in it and every little pile of snow seems to gather water around it.

One fisherman today decided not to take my advice and started to take his own fish house out, well from today’s photo you can see he did not even make it to the bridge, he insisted that the ice measured 15 inches and would be safe to travel on.

Luckily he did not get out into deeper water…

12_17_2006%20oops.jpg

What an (Contact Us Please). I dont like to call names but this is silly. all this warm weather you know the ice is not ready for this yet. I dont want to know how much this cost him but i am sure it wont be cheap.

Lets put this in perspective? The guy was attempting to haul his house from Rodgers to agassiz lodge over 7 miles along the lake shore. jeff went and pulled the house the rest of the way with no incedents and the house is now sitting on the ice ,being fished in.A little common sense goes along way. From what I heard the area he drove through did not look right?And was he even going to a bridge?I do not think so he was bringing his house to waskish?

We got down to 0 again last night and made some ice. I started moving my big houses out today and that went OK. I saw quite a few of the big houses on skids moving out to deeper (crappie) water today. Where there is rough ice with snowdrifts there is not as good of ice so be careful of those areas.

Merry Christmas.

We are looking forward to being there next weekend.

How are the current conditions? Fishing & ice.

Ron M

One place we hit today on BARE ice with no snow was 18 inches. Yesterday under a snow drift caused by rough ice I found 12 inches.

want to go out of hillmans on jan 1 with crew cab and large 16 foot wheeled house. is it good most places out to 5 miles?

From what I have heard, 5 miles is not going to happen with your set up.....atv or snomachine maybe....be safe and ask the minnowstation staff...

You don't mention how big a truck. 1/2 ton, 1 ton, diesel? you have. As Jerry posted on Roger's report we have better ice right now then mid January last year. I did see one, 1 ton truck out there today on another road. My 1 ton is staying on shore for awhile. The ice is from 12 to 18 inches. The 12 inches under snowdrifts by rough ice or plow banks.

Hillman's road hits a pressure ridge at 3.2 miles. There will not be a bridge there for awhile as we feel that the ice is too thin yet to support the repeated traffic going over a bridge. If we put a bridge in and it kept busting up people could be stranded on the other side with out a way off the lake. frown.gif Besides there is plenty of lake to explore on this side of the ridge for now. The ridge runs WNW and doesn't hit shore until Rocky Point. Yesterday I set up 2 houses along the ridge that didn't have any other fishermen for 1 1/2 miles. smile.gif Seeing as Hudec's doesn't have a road yet the entire north shore of URL is wide open.

NOBODY is fishing for walleyes along the 8/9 foot breakline all the way from the mouth of the Tamarac to Rocky Point. shocked.gif

Quote:

NOBODY is fishing for walleyes along the 8/9 foot breakline all the way from the mouth of the Tamarac to Rocky Point.
shocked.gif

I got a kick out of that. For years and years the north shore was like bumber boats in the summer and you could map the breakline by the old holes from walleye fishermen in the winter. Guess the crappie madness makes one forget. smile.gif

Speaking of madness Jon. crazy.gif You suggested a place to drop the little house to try it. With my advanced age and experience I took it the opposite direction cuz I knew best. blush.gif Well,,,, today I move it again to where you suggested. grin.gif

Quote:

. With my advanced age and experience
blush.gif

You have the experience but I think the age is starting to work against you. shocked.giflaugh.gif

Buddy made me a liar and put the bridge across the first pressure ridge. He found another way across the first ridge further west that can be used to get the people back if the bridge busts up. Also the first ridge appears to be freezing solid with all of the movement happening on the ridge further west. People started heading west acoss the bridge yeserday.

How is it going in Gods country cool.gif I'd like to bring my 18' house up with my 3/4 ton truck next weekend any chance confused.gif Would not mind just bringing the wheeler but i would have to sell it for a place to stay mad.gif thanks

I've been using my 3/4 ton with a straight plow on without any trouble. I've been seeing a few other 3/4 tons running around out there. Just be carefull of any snowbanks or bigger drifts as the ice will be thinner there.

Thanks Kelly. Are there alot of snowbanks out there or can you get around pretty good? I hope to get up there next week sometime.