• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Current Ice / Fishing Report ?

Northland Sportsman

Anybody have a current ice and fishing report. I am planning to head up that way on Sat. morning and would like to know where I can get out and how far. It would also be nice to know if anyone is having any luck lately. Any help appreciated.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kelly-p

• Random guy

• cookie129

• Meadow Creek

Their is 9-12 inches of ice. With the warm weather tommorrow fishing should be pretty good. The later part of this week has been pretty slow with the cold front. I've been going out of JR's Access. You should be able to get out at least a mile and half.

Went out on Sunday and got my limit of walleye. That was before the cold front however. Went out to the west side of the lake and one spot measured 15 inches of ice!!! Fish were in 7.5 feet of water. Good Luck

Quote:

and one spot measured 15 inches of ice!!!

This is how people die. frown.gif What did the thin places's measure???? 6 inches? In the new crack/pressure ridge that rings URL that is open water 4 feet wide how thick is the ice there??????? Irresponsible posts like this are how people die.

Other then JR's landing I know every person that runs an ice fishing road on URL. Everybody else says 6 inches to 9 inches of ice with many cracks mixed in. So far nobody has opened a road for more then wheelers or snowmobiles.

Trust the people that run the roads, they know what is happening out there. 15 inches MIGHT only happen where the ice is piled.

I went out on the south shore today I drilled about ten holes spread all over from 3/4 mile to two miles. 11.5 to 13.5 inches of ice. A lot of cracks, some with open water. One about 3/4 mile out that should be watched. It was getting slushy in the afternoon. There is one small permanet house out on the lake.

Kelly, you said except JR you know everbody who runs a icefishing road..

As usual it must be nice to "KNOW EVERYTHING"

Just stay on the eastside of the lake would you.

Quote:

Just stay on the eastside of the lake would you.

Sorry cann't do that. I always like going north and west. Maybe you need to turn your map 1/4 turn counterclockwise to understand. grin.gif

Puting out accurate info is fine. But I don't think somebody should be flamed for posting the conditions that they encountered. I would much rather see a post that says "I drilled a hole and there was 15 inches of ice at this location" than the speculation so many post. I can do my own guesswork.

How many posts do you see on this board that are little more than theories about how the ice probably is or will be a week from now? Give me an accurate report of conditions you actually encountered and I am happy.

If there is a danger spot, post it and be specific - a new thread titled "DANGER thin ice" would be a nice start. But if you find 15 inches of ice post that too. I will not be driving my big pick up out on the ice just because one guy found 15 inches of ice. But I will not bad mouth him for posting what he found. Kind of hard to report on something you haven't seen.

Fished the south shore Sat. and Sun Morn. Yesterday we found ice from 6 inches all the way to 3 feet (ice was stacked over each other). This morning we went out 3/4 of a mile and found a crack that was at least 2 feet wide. We ended up fishing the crack shocked.gif. Please be careful out there as the ice is not consistant. Below are a couple pics from the weekend.

This is me fishing "The Crack"

p1010049xk9.jpg

Heres the pic of the ice piled up 2 miles out.

p1010040hd5.jpg

Now that's a great report. Let's see some shots of you on the wheeler trolling cool.gif Will the ice "magically" become safe again this year for big rigs about the same time cancellations start coming in for New Years? confused.gif

Why is everybody so paranoid about the ice being behind schedule.?.?.?

Its still over two weeks until Christmas and we don't have a deep snow layer yet. It'll happen...

Call me irresponsible and anything else you want behind my back. The only thing that is false in my post is the direction which i apologize for. Other than that, there was 15 inches of ice. If you don't believe me thats cool and you can find permanents out of Jeff's place that are sitting on 15 inches of ice, go check for yourself. See thats the beauty of ice that is frozen to the shore...if a wind pushes ice on the outside edge of a crack away from shore, the ice that is connected to shore doesn't move crazy.gif and therefore is able to continue to freeze while the open water has to start from scratch. Other than that, I don't have any more to say to you Kelly except to grow up and don't call people liars because of something that is true because that is what 3rd graders do. Good luck to everyone else this year on the lake.

Great Pic Ben. Your dad sent me a email and said you guys had a hoot. Hate to hit that on a wheeler in the dark

Ok boys n girls what it simply boils down to is the mass of outdoorsmen/women that read this forum. Many have been ice anglers for years, some are just getting started ice fishing and some that have never seen a frozen lake but they are willing to travel to Waskish to check it out. I also understand that 15" inches of ice could be possible in some spots, heck I bet some spots you can't get an auger through due to the stacking yet last weekend I put my sled through the ice and was lucky enough to be moving at a good clip and crawl out, and I mean crawl out. So it is spotty. Now when a simple statement is made about 15" inches of ice many will read it not knowing any better and head north and pull onto the lake thinking it is 15" all over. It is just a safety thing when making public statements about ice conditions. You wouldn't think that many people take a silly little forum as the official word although when a statement is made about a big fish, ice conditions, good fishing or something free the phones start ringing off the hook with people heading to the lake because of something they read on these pages.

The best bet is to contact the resort or access you are going to use directly and get the current ice info.

Sorry Helmutguy, like me or hate me it's your choice but I have a responsibilty to the people that read this Forum that the posts concerning ice thickness or safety be as accurate as posible. "15 inches of ice" simply was not and still is not an accurate report of the ice thickness on URL. I could go out and drill by some of the piles and 6 feet of ice. Many people that read "15 inches of ice" forget how big URL is and assume that is the case all over lake. That can lead to some pretty bad situations.

Roger's posted that today he had 9 to 11 inches. Buddy is out about 2 miles with the drag and finding 9 to 12 inches. Both are advising no cars or trucks right now.

Remember that usually V-Plows will be able to go over thinner ice then a regular truck as the V-Plow spreads out the weight and the truck has had all the extra weight taken off it. Buddy had a situation today when he was out there working on his road with a stripped down plow truck and suddenly there was a fully loaded pickup out there with him. shocked.gif

Sorry Kelly P, I aggree with Capt John. I think you were too harsh with Helmutguy. I know where you are coming from, but he never said there was 15 inches all over, or even in an area, he said in "one spot", and that was probably true. You should not doubt his word, or put him down for reporting. You can comment without the attitude.

Just talked to a relative out on the lake right now fishing the first break and he is measuring ice just over "15 inches thick". Though it is not by any ice pile, it is not the best quality ice ever, but I hope everyone will take this information as they wish, but it is the truth straight from the east side of the lake out from Jeff's resort.

Hopefully everyone remembers that this "15 inch ice" was formed during the wind. Small pieces of ice and slush pushed together and frozen. More frozen slush then ice, it is whitish and has far less strength then clear ice. Sorry but I still feel that right now posts of "15 inch ice" are just plain dangerous.

Just remember one thing when getting ice info:

car2oy9.jpg

This one was luckily in shallow water, any deeper and it could be a bad way to go.

I'll check my own ice.

I will agree with you Kelly. We were out today and on our way in my hubby WALKING put his foot threw on an ice ridge. Not a huge ridge, only about 1 1/2 foot high. Just walking over it and he went up to his mid calf. Thank goodness we were only in about 3 foot of water.

Be careful out there guys.

[Note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.

We on site will not quibble when it comes to safety. While helmutguy may have seen 15" of ice, a clear clarification is necessary when giving that information.

Common knowledge says "with ice that thick folks drive their vehicle on it." It is irresponsible to leave a post like that without clarification such as Kelly gave.

We do not need someone to die because they thought there was 15" of ice on URL.

Folks are starting to get argumentative about Kelly's clarification on ice thickness. Bickering is simply not allowed here and Kelly was just doing what he was supposed to do.

Kelly would never say this but I will, if you have an ax to grind with Kelly this is not the place to do that.

We also appreciate the big heart we have always seen from him. He's likley saved a few lives just by being there when others needed him most.

He moderates this forum and is very helpful to countless folks. Please respect that. It's not as easy as it looks.

Please be sure to read forum policy before posting a post that bickers or attacks one of our staff or anyone for that matter. Let's have fun instead.]]

I've known Kelly for many years now. I think he sincerely is worried about people constantly 'rushing' to get on the lake too early. He's been around for many a vehicle that needed to be pulled up through 'safe' ice.

I guess I didn't read anywhere that he called anybody a liar. He posted that a 'range' of thickness should've been posted. I guess I can see his point. A lot of people 'read' into any post the way they wish for their benefit. I believe you did indeed find 15" of ice when you posted, but why not post that it varies from 9-15" or whatever it is. If it is a constant 15" post up if it is good clear ice and if there is vehicle traffic... I bet the road your accessing still isn't allowing vehicles which would be the norm if we had 15" of ice.

Kelly's phone number is posted right below every one of his posts and I bet he's fielding calls of "is the ice safe for my sleeper yet" umpteen times a day... He is the one everyone goes to for such info, until any one of us wants to step up to the plate and post our cell phone number to be the Red Lake contact for ice condidtions we should trust what he posts for safty reasons... 50 years on the lake does carry some privledge! Only a handful of other people carry the knowledge of Red that Kelly does.

No slams intended for any one who's posted here... I think we just need to remember what we are posting becomes 'gospel' for some people who read these posts!

Hope the lake settles down some over the next few weeks... I will be up just after the new years to put the houses out.

Good luck!

Ken

If you check Rogers site he has pics of his road along with one of the wonderful cracks that are showing up. He said he is letting smaller vehicles out(ONLY BECAUSE HE CAN'T STOP THEM). He said himself he won't be headed out in anything bigger than his suzuki.

I think that the situation has clearly been resolved and we should no longer have to dispute it... One guy says 15... whoops i guess that he must have been on some thick ice.. Just cuz jimmy said to jump off the bridge doesnt mean i listened.. Knocking him down about his statement may not have ben right but listening to resort owners would be the route i took thats for sure.. Best way is to check it your self i got wierd looks all day and people in disbelief after i got back from fishing last week reporting 9-11 inches on devils lake... well me and my friend checked it every 100 yards and thats what it was... anyone that is reading these forums waiting for someone to say over 12 inches so they can drive there truck out is nuts thats all i have to say... check it yourself or look up a well known guide.

When you try to protect people from themselves, situations like this can get hairy. Settle down everyone, most everyone who doesn't fish that lake often goes out and has to stop and pay someone for an access fee, and with that money, most people expect a current update on the fishing and the safety. It is up to that person to take the info and be intelligent about it. You can't fix stupid, people... (truck down in st. cloud yesterday, 6 inches of ice!!) confused.gif

Another from Nisswa area went through yesterday and died down there apparently thought they had 8" inches all over hit a thin spot.

I can appreciate Kelly's concerns of folks jumping to conclusions maybe would've handled same same maybe not. Bottom line is get plenty of info before making a judgement

and be safe. Hope to see ya all up there soon.

bd