• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If they are just sucking on them as you said. Try dropping the lure down to them and pulling it up slowly, they will "suck on it" and then don't screw around, just set the hook. You'll jurk it out of their mouth sometimes, but more often then not it will increase you success rate. They were doing the same thing on Mille Lacs last weekend. I actually caught one because my line didn't seem right (slack), so I set the hook, it ended up being 19" walleye that was just holding it and not moving.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrophyEyes

• fishroger

• phillyfacks

• B420

Hi Everyone.

Coming up to breezy pt on saturday to stay for a week, this is are 4th year now, can anyone give us some tips on where the bluegill, perch or walleye bite is right now? or how the fishing has been lately even on other lakes around here. Any info would help, everyone we have met has been very helpful every year. We love ice fishin up here. Anything you can tell us would be great. smile.gif

Thank you very much.

Sincerely Your fellow ice fishing buddies from the East.

I haven't fished since new years. I have heard they have moved shallower and are really on the weed edges 17ft or so. They have not been biting aggressively anywhere so smaller presentations are better. Look on all the forums and see what is working and don't hesitate to stop in at one of the bait shops on the way in, they will have up-to-date information. The biggest thing is if you don't get a bite, don't be afraid to move.

The channel going into breezy bay has a few sunnies and crap. small glow jig with waxies work good. Need at least a vexilar to spot them. Almost need a spring bobber there hittin so lite. Lots of fish near weeds just have get them to hit.

Has anyone had luck on pan fish in moose bay? I fish for bass in there during the summer, but never pan fish. That would be a pretty easy place to access. There are some 15 ft weed edges in there.

they usually get some in the hole in moose, but havent seen any houses in there. There all about 1/4 mi. out from the entrance of moose. They werent in breezy bay this year either. Usually they stack up there in the fall.

I have only caught 1 crappie on the lake and it was a monster. That was over on the east side when I was walleye fishing. I have never even tried to catch crappies in Pelican. Has anyone had success in the spring? Where do you even look. I would have said the hole in Moose bay, the hole in breezy bay, there is another spot out from the north side of Gooseberry that could hold some, but other than that, are there areas known for crappies?

Pelican has excellent crappies in spring. Breezy bay, moose, and the bays on the north end of lake are usually pretty good in spring. The docks in breezy bay are popular when there hittin.The low water isnt helping much though gotta be careful in some of the shallow areas if in boat.

My family has a cabin on Pelican and I have fished almost every weekend during the summer for 4 years and have only caught one. I honestly have never even checked it out.

Speaking of the water level. What is going on? We can't even keep our boat in the water because we can't get it on and off the lift. We have 309 ft. of dock and when we pulled the boat out in August it was only 16" at the end of the dock. Its rediculous how low the lake is. If the water gets any lower, I don't even know what access is going to be feasible because if Breezy bay or the northeast access loose any more I am going to have to get out and push the boat through the shallow area. I am exagerating, but it is bad. My dad ripped off a prop at the end of last year because a rock that hasn't been in play as long as we have been on the lake.....obviously was in play now. We need some rain/snow.

The summer crappie bite on pelican is a nite bite after the traffic settles down. Need drop off with a good weedline. If you have trolling motor troll very slowly with 1/16 oz. crappie jig with twister tail glow body until you hit some, then you can anchor if you want and start hittin em. Bonus is you might snag a few wallys at the same time. Problem in summer is bugs can be bad a nite. Water level will be problem unless we get some big time precip. Some of the small bays like cree bay may be inaccessible like they almost were last year. They surely will be this year.

I always get amused when people get all up in arms about low water levels. MAny of these people are the same ones that start yellign if the water gets higher than normal.

Didn't you consider this as a feasability when you purchased your lakeshore?

Most of the lakes aren't reservoirs, so the water levels surely will not remain the same every year.

Its mother nature at work. What do you expect - FEMA to declare the lakes federal disaster areas?

Until then, look at the bright side of things: fish are more concentrated, water is usually more clear, and some of those pesky speed boats can't get to some of the smaller bays.

BTW, this message is not aimed at any of the previous posters.

I would say that when most people buy lake property they don't expect it to be this low. From what I have heard, this is the lowest ever. As I understand it, this lake was at one time dam controlled, but they block that off. Someone that has been on the lake for 70 years said they have never seen it this bad. I know there is nothing we can do about it, but it is worth commenting on don't you think smartguy? We are on a fishing forum and I know that changing water levels change fishing conditions and accessibility is a lake concern for many and especially Breezy Point resort if their accessibility to the main lake is diminished.

Trophy,

I see your point, and I'm not saying that low water levels aren't worth discussing, or even griping about.

I am just saying that when some people seem to go to the next step, in demanding answers like someone has drained the lake, then I chuckle. Its called DROUGHT.

All people considering buying lakeshore should look at the slope of the land and the drop offs of the lake, in order to get an idea what high/low water levels can do.

I grew up on Edward, when several years ago the water levels jumped up. People who owned land on the west and SE sides of the lake were furious that the water was overtaking their lawns . . . yet they built on lowland. As a potential lakeshore property owner, one has to consider this type of problem before buying. Now that water levels are so low, folks on the North end south ends of the lake are complaining about the water levels. Obviously, not everyone is happy with a specific level.

Seeing as how this thread is centered on Pelican's fishing, I will stop talking about water levels. Good luck fishing everyone.

I think water levels are a worthy topic to talk about. They can influence many things we do on the water. Lower units aren't cheap. The level for pelican is the lowest ive seen it. Theres reefs that we can hit with the motor where we didnt before. Information helps.

I watched a guy and his family ripping along the east side of the lake. And he obviously didn't know the sand bar came out that far. He hit the sand and everyone was thrown in the boat. He ruined his motor and broke the back end of the boat. I would sure like to know these trouble spots before hitting them at 30mph. In years past he would have had no problems, but last August it was a problem....obviously. It is his fault for driving so fast without knowing the lake, but at the same time if he was just visiting the lake he would found these discussions very usefull. I can tell you that the east side of Gooseberry will be interesting this year if we don't get any precip.

If you can afford a place on the lake and a boat, you can surely afford a $500 GPS with some map chips! Anyway, was out last night on a little saddle that has been untouched all year. We got 4 walleye from 15-17" and some smaller ones too. 24-28' feet sand and rocks, small shiners on tip ups, one fish on jigging spoon with minnow head.

Well, I tried for a few hours the other day. We went in between the ends of gooseberry island. I found a turn in toward the island where it dropped from 15 ft quickly into 22 ft. there were standing weeds and then instantly sand with no weed. There were also however no fish. 2 six inch walleye and an even smaller perch. I normally don't complain about catching vs. fishing but with 2 guys 2 wives and 5 small children drilling all the holes cleaning them out getting everyone setup and before I can even get my line in the water one kid steps in a hole, the others are complaing about not catching or there cold and teh wives are yelling at the kids. And I'm thinking I should have stayed at the pool.

We never did get to go out and "actually try to fish" But its was still an enjoyable time up at breezy point.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new question for this group. What are the biggest walleyes that people have caught on this lake?

I measured a 31.5 inch fish someone pulled out of there right in breezy bay. It was in the spring but very skinny for some reason.

I know this may be a strech to believe but my dad pulled a 35incher out of Pelican in 1976.The fish was 12lbs caught the first week of August.The only night I didnt go out fishin with him frown.gif,But my mom was with and she was as proud to net this monster as he was to catch it.He brought it to Koeps to have it weighed and measured.Ive still got the mount,had to have it restored once,Ill keep fishing and hoping one day the fishing gods will reward me.

12lbs seems really light for a 35 inch fish... not saying that i dont believe it but sounds fishy to me!

I was going to say, check that scale. It should easily be in the 14-15lbs range. In late August I would have even said it had a shot at 17lbs. If you still have the fish, re-measure the length and girth (it won't be perfect). It would have to be pretty thin to only be 12lbs. My guess is that you have a much bigger fish than you stated earlier. To put that in perspective I have a 29"- 10Lbs 11oz., a 33.5" that was 14lbs. and a bunch in between. Yours would be the most anorexic fish I have ever heard about.

Keep the "fish stories" coming! The bigger the better.

Ok.....This did peak my interest so I measured the fish.I dont know the calculations for weighing fish by dimension,but here is what I measured.This fish is mounted on a board and the length I took was just over 33inches and the diameter was 17 to 18 inches.I based the girth measurement by measuring half the fish since I couldnt go all the way around.Im not sure on the length since its a skin mount and the tail is not pinched together.The fish doesnt look skinny actually it looks pretty good.Ive got a 29.5 that I caught in Canada post spawn that is 8lbs.Ill try to get a pic of both and figure out how to post it

croixeyes, by your dimensions that is a pretty skinny fish. I used a generic fish calculator on Walleye Central online and it said it was about 13.3-13.7lbs. I would say this fish was probably on the way down and not really eating. The fish calculator is not exactly a science, so I would say its pretty safe to say its over 12lbs but definitely under 14lbs. Sorry that I cannot get it anymore specific, but we are basing this on a mounted fish. I have a fish that all I can do is base the weight on the length and girth. I know it is within a range, but with a fish that big, who cares, it is an amazing fish no matter how many ounces you are off.

• 1 month later...

How are we coming on the ice removal?? The ice is all gone down here in the cities and I was wondering if Pelican would be open by next weekend? Maybe I can come up and get the boat out.

I can't say for sure how Pelican's ice is, but I was up to the WF chain this past weekend and still only a little open water in the channels. The ice still looked like it had a little beef to it..not black and on the verge or breaking up

A lot of the local lakes are now black - it shouldn't be long now!

Still alot of ice on pelican. Depends on weather. Get some sun and wind and it can go fast. I'll say at least another week. Seen a guy ice fishin on round a couple of days ago.