• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went out there yesterday and the ice is about 3.5 - 4 inches thick. We where fishing in 28 ft of water out by cigar island. Caught about 50 crappies and 4 walleyes in about 4 hours. Only about 10 crappies where over 10 inches.

The ice is safe for walking, There was about 5 other houses out there.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evinrude19

• CrappieAttitude

• Bubbasfishing

• GRUMPY1

Now I see that rush point reported that parts have ripped back open due to high winds. Be carefull out there. It would be easy now to go from the 3-4 some are fishing on to a brand new skim in the next couple days. The skim will look the same as the old.

great...had to hear that report AFTER trying to convince the Mrs. i need to go ice fishing this weekend after being gone for hunting every weekend the last 2 months. Not what she wanted to hear and not what i wanted to hear. Looking forward to heading out soon...wait I better go lie down i'm still tired from ducking household appliances. good luck to everyone, stay safe, and keep those reports coming.

well rush i think is better left to later in the season. The crappies tend to bite better and harder and more in numbers. Rush is getting better and better every year. For the last two years i have been pulling out nothing less than 11 in crappies and the biggest was 14.5 inches so you have to look for them drop offs and you'll find them

yes Rush is way better late in the season, i have a sweet spot for after the end of Jan. and the best part is i am way away from anyone 11-14 inch slabs

yes thats another great thing about late season. people are more spred out and were you see people out in the middle of no were you think what the hell are they doing? Well they could be the one bringing in those 14 in slabs

From Rush Point Store:

RUSH POINT STORE, STANCHFIELD, MINNESOTA EST. 1879

12/7 Snow mobile and two people through the ice by Wilson island. Both ok we hear taken by ambulance please be careful out there!!!

How much ice are we talking out there? Have there been any reports on East Rush Yet.

Any one out there in the last day or 2? A friend and I are heading out tomorrow. If there was really 3.5 - 4.0 on Monday, I am thinking there should be 4 - 5 tomorrow. Have all the safety gear ready for tomorrow, so we plan to be safe.

thats a good idea, I'm also heading out there but not wandering off to far good luck tomorrow. but there is at least 4 inches but always be safe.

Make sure you have your ice cleats on. You wouldn't want to have your season start off with a spill!!

I fished by Cigar Island yesterday from 2-8pm. 7 crappies 9-11". 30 fow 2-7' otb. 6" ice. Wheelers all over. Threw back lots less than 9".

Have a. Good day. Today.

Ron

just wondering how the ice is holding with these warm temps..thinking about walking out early am tomorrow and want to know how things look before springing it on the mrs. probably head out via the public access.

yes i had some good walleye bites out there but i think they moved on cause i went there yesterday and couldn't find a single one

Was out on 12/10 from 2pm to 4pm. Left early because my vexilar battery went dead within the first 15 minutes i was out there. I had it on the trickle carger for a week before going out and the battery was brand new at the end of last season. Go figure. Anyways i tried to fish without it and just couldn't seem to do it. I feel like i can't catch fish without it. It's sad how dependent i have become on that thing. So mostly i just talked with other anglers and found the fishing to be very slow. I was just out from the public access. There was around 6"s of ice or better over 38' of water.

Fishing was very slow on Sunday afternoon until the crowd went away. Then, the fish started biting. Caught them anywhere from 12 feet down to 5 feet off the bottom in 34 fow. In regards to the vex battery, mine did exactly the same thing. I used it maybe 3 times last spring and it wouldn't charge up at all this winter. Lucky for me, I checked it out pretty well before I went out.

I agree, fishing was very slow last Sunday afternoon.

Fished south side of crane island in 38, 38, and 34 feet of water. Only small perch. Most ice was 6-7 inches but some very unsafe ice in spots. Must be that time of the year, my vex battery was dead too. Like fishing blind.

With the ice being spotty, how are you getting all the way down to south end of crane. Are you coming on from the south somewhere? I have some spots down there but its a long ride around the shore from the access

To be specific, I fished the south/east side of Crane.

I have a friend that lives on Bayside Ave. I used her access to get on the lake, and followed the shoreline south and out to crane. (The ice in the middle of the large bay is bad!)

If you want, you can access at CJ's and head to north end of crane. You must hug the shore of Crane on the east side. (There is a large crack or heave running from shoreline at bayside cir. to crane island). Then the ice is good around the S/E end of Crane.

The fishing has not been that great out there, and with the warm weather I would not recomend anyone go back out there.

any updates on how the ice is holding out. I can imagine it will be too long before it is not walkable.

well with the rain we had and the warm weather made for crappy conditions for the ice. My opinion don't go on the ice this weekend it could be a little to unstable.

From Rush Point Store

RUSH POINT STORE, STANCHFIELD, MINNESOTA EST. 1879

12-13 Ice is reportedly holding at the 5.5 to 7 inch depth, some people have cut back to walking as opposed to wheelers, but there are still guys out on wheelers in some of the bays. Watch where the people are and stay off the shiny spot south of Wilson. Waxies are hot, larva and crappie minnows....A guy in Coveralls has been out telling people that he is DNR and asking to check ID. No one has given it to him, as he cannot provide his! He has been reported to DNR, who asked us to get the word out to watch out and call him in if he bugs you.....

Anyone who has been out lately...

With the highs of today and the forcast for the next couple of days, would you advise people to continue making the trek out. What is the status of the ice down there? My dad is considering going out on Saturday, and he is one of those that tends to always think the ice is good. I know that up here in Brainerd the ice conditions have changed in the past few days, I can only imagine what it is doing down there. What are your thoughts?

CA