• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Detroit Lakes Area Ice Conditions

Any size to the eyes? I live about 1/2 block from where you were fishing. Now I am jealous, I was sitting in the house all night while you were catching fish only a few steps away.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• DEADhead

• fisherdog19

• huntnfish

Ok Here it IS me report. Now by no means am I to be trusted as safe or not safe lake ice but this is what I found and you can do what you wish with my info:

Pelican Lake 2-3" not to far from Millionare Point and close to river channel.

Lida Lake 1.5-4" according ot my customer who lives there. I saw a few portables.

Lizzie - Water open near river but saw 3 inches were I checked.

Prarie Lake. area by landing was open because of river but Guy fishing in permanet house in the middle of the lake near the rock piles.

Tamarack: Lots of activity from spear sites and noticed an ATV pulling a house. saw 4-6 inches were I drilled not to far off of access.

Nice girl working at the Dunn Villas store said she had sold a ton of minnows today, no word on were people were fishing.

HOpe this helps somebody. I heard Tom Symanski say -9 on wed for low. that will help

Did you check any other spots on Pelican? I would think there would be better ice in other spots? That channel can't help.

No due to some time constaints I had to split. My second job on Pelican was on Broadwater Bay and the lake infront of the private access had 2 feet of snow on it. I did not venture out there. SOrry

I got a report from a buddy and said there is 3-6 inches on pelican. He was out lastnight and got 3 nice eye! I will be heading that way this weekend

Measured from 6-9 inches on Middle Cormorant today. 9 was near shore and out further was 6. Saw snowmobile tracks across the lake too.

unconfirmed reports of 6-8" as of Monday. I'm sure there was more ice being made the past few days though.

I saw a clown driving a ranger pickup out of the J&K access on my way home last night. I don't know how far he made it; I kept seeing him reverse and change direction... I didn't see any broken up ice this morning on my way to work, so either he turned around or made it out safe. I think it's a little early to be driving yet, to say the least....

I'd be real cautious around the ice near shore. Much of the North and Western shoreline has had open water at times. No one at work can figure out why this is happening, except there may be some groundwater intrusion in these areas. When you get out there, you'll see the bad ice, as it will most likely still be wet, as well as a ton of pressure ridges along the border.

The ranger was on Little D.L. last night in front of the condos near the pavilion. A snowmobile went out on Sallie tonight.

Quote:

A snowmobile went out on Sallie tonight

Bob I was on my sled this afternoon for a little bit. There was also a wheeler out too. Ice was good where I was riding on the NE corner

Deadhead, It was nict to meet you at the access Friday night. I thought I would let you know that I measured 8 good inches of ice in the places I fished. Fishing wasn't great, I caught 7 eyes but only had one big enough to keep about 17". Nice night to be out there temp was great.

Thanks for the report Jay, nice meeting you. Were the other walleyes about 6-7" long? Those little runts are everywhere... did you catch any perch?

ccording to Jon the Master Baiter at Quailty Bait there is 11" of ice under his house west of the pavilion on Little DL.

I can confirm 11" inches of ice on Little DL form one side to the other side, seeing as how we got a bug up our shorts to park on the beech and walk across the lake pulling protable, augers, heaters, bait, rods, etc. 2mile round trip. 11" all the way to the other side.

Lida:

7-9 inches...at least that is what my father said. I will be out on North Lida tomorrow....I will up date the ice report at that time.

Cliffy.

A few Swings...and of course...a few misses to follow. We were marking fish...but no takers. We only tried for a few hours and never bothered moving...so we didnt feel to bad. I am going to try again on my next set of days off.

I didn't mark anything on middle, but we were making a lot of noise in 16 feet of water. We were still attaching the lights and banging around during prime time. crazy.gif

I was out on Melissa yesterday and there was 8-11 inches of good, clear ice everywhere I went. There was still a little snow on the ice also, so I don't think this warm spell or rain hurt the ice too much.

Hunt is right. Good ice.

Big C went from 8 inches last weekend to 10 this weekend.

Minnow-man helped me move my house from Middle to Big.

Thanks, Minnow!!!

I kind of like these ice conditions as they are now....keeps everyone and their "mom" from driving their trucks out all over the place. Makes for better fishing too smile.gif

There was a vehicle out on the middle of Melissa on Saturday. I would have to guess that they were from the shallow end of the gene pool.

The best part is then feeling obligated to help them after they go through. I just dont get some people, they must have some kind of special "flood" insurance for their vehicles!

Finally made it out yesterday - hit Little DL. Walked out from shore about 1/4 mile - in the area of some of the other houses out there. Was still about 11inches where I drilled as reported a week or so ago. But the ice was sure noisy - lots of creeking and cracking going on all the time I was out there. I also saw the truck on Boyer when I went - not smart IMO, not yet anyway. Fished for about 2 hours - caught a few crappies, bunch of sunnies, and a couple small perch -- everything went back - all were on the small side - but it was nice to be out. The fish were active - but light biting - lost a lot of bait, but they'll only get bigger if we feed them, right??

Quote:

Just saw an idot driving on Boyer.

there was a clown driving his blazer on Sallie last night, pulling behind a his 10' permanent at about 30 mph mad.gif. I grabbed my ice picks while i was in my house just in case. You could hear the ice buckling as he neared all the other houses. Of course he came rolling in right at prime time. You could hear a few 'comments' in the air when they pulled up. And the even had the graciousness to leave and not fish after all the disturbance. confused.gif

There was 11" of clear ice where I was, and a case could be made that that was enough for the blazer, but these guys need to drop their house during the day. When you get on a alake like Sallie, where the primetime bite can fall within a small window, this kind of stuff is not cool. All I ask for from these guys is a little courtesy to the anglers out there fishing.