• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Carpeted Load Guides = Paint Wear/Boat Damage???

LetThemGo

Question

I just installed some load guides on my Shorelander Trailer and they contact the sides of my boat when it is loaded. When trailering down the road, are these load guides going to move enough to wear paint off the sides of my aluminum boat?

I tried to move the load guides out laterally so they won't touch the boat when it is loaded, but when I do this the boat won't load straight and sits on the fenders. Loading without the guides has been a nightmare, so this is the last straw with this trailer. It has been a huge source of frustration all year.

If anyone is willing to share his/her experience(s), it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2 answers to this question

Yes, the bunks will take the paint off the rubbing point. I don't have a solution for your but I had soem too and they took the paint off in few weeks of use.

It's the vibrations and continuous shaking that cause the damage, nothing you can do about it.

They shouldnt contact the sides of your boat when loaded. Back them out a ways and you wont have to worry.

Or go to the roller ones or horn ones. I had the tall horns and they ran across the sides of the gunnels and they worked well. I have never used the rollers.

Plus the tall horns make backing up a breeze.