• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Propane tank on its side?

icemac33

Question

Is this a big no-no? I was looking at an 11 # tank fitting under the seat of my Fishtrap.It would have to lay on its side. The tank on the forklift at work is on its side.Different tank or valve design?

14 answers to this question

Yeah, that's a big no-no, simply because the pressure relief device may not function properly, thus this also allows a tank that isn't burning to allow liquid to escape quicker and relieve pressure more quickly. They do have a tendency of blowing w/o you touching it by laying down due to increased pressure on the valve.

I've seen the one's you are talking about, and I believe they are a different valve design that allows this to happen. The above mentioned relates only to propane tanks that are designed to sit in the upright position.

Hope this helps.

depends on the valve the type used for mr heaters and bb q"s and a vapor type, the ones you see on there side are a liquid propand, they have a longer tube in the valve and use a liquid form of fuel instead of a vapor hope this helps

As mentioned above, not a good idea! A tank should always be in the upright position whether its in use, in storage, or being transported. The general idea for this is to reduce the chance of knocking off the valve. Because its made out of brass The valve is the weakest link.

Quote:

They do have a tendency of blowing w/o you touching it by laying down due to increased pressure on the valve.

?

I've never heard of that. The valve is designed to relieve the pressure of the tank through the release of vapor. Its easier to reduce pressure by venting vapor rather than liquid. The pressure on the PRV is the same whether its on its side, upright, or upsidedown.

The only time it would blow up by itself is if were on the side for an extended amount of time and there was a huge pressure build-up. It not something that is "common" per say, but it is possible that it may occur.

Don't even think of getting the 11 lb tall propane tank, get the 11 lb pancake tank much better to handle and they don't tip over in or out of your fishtrap.

grin.gif

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the input. I was tempted by a nice little 5# at Fleet Farm today, but I need something to get me two full days at URL. Sounds like its the 11# pancake for me.

Well, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I have had the same pancake for a number of years, there super nice and don't ever have to worry about knocking them over. GL and hope that makes your fishing alot easier.

Quote:

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the input. I was tempted by a nice little 5# at Fleet Farm today, but I need something to get me two full days at URL. Sounds like its the 11# pancake for me.

I have a 5# tank that I use all of the time when I really need to reduce weight. It lasts for 2 days easily on my Buddy Heater.

I have to second the 11# tank though as that way you will not have to have it filled as often.

I usually carry a 20# tank in my Otter sleds.

Cliff

A short true story about propane tanks on their side. A few years back my uncle was transporting a 20# tank on it's side on the back of his four wheeler. Well he didn't secure it good enough and it started to rock back and forth. A bunge worked open the valve and the escaping gas ignited from the exhaust resulting in a rocket powered Arctic Cat 500. shocked.gif He luckily was able to shut off the tank before anything real bad happened.

I like putting my tanks in milk crates. It's easy to carry and easy to secure.

You're uncle isn't Clark Griswold is he? grin.gif I would assume the next stop was home to change his shorts.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.