• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishwax

Horseshoe Chain

hoppe56307

i am looking to do some fishing on Saturday, just wondering if anybody would be interested in going with me, since i have no experience on the chain of lakes, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Kodiak

so why do the locals throw them on the ice to die??? catfish are to good to do that too, they are not carp.

Eric

Quote:

catfish are to good to do that too, they are not carp.

No truer words have ever been said. AMEN!

They're the same guys that think they are heros when the keep a limit of 10-12 in walleyes.

Eric

Also was out on the chain today and picked some trash including a battery for a vexilar. Always make it a point to pick up around your fishing area. Toss it when you get home or when you gas up.

Eric mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

hanson

Quote:

They're the same guys that think they are heros when the keep a limit of 10-12 in walleyes.

Last trip up to the chain, we caught about a dozen of them pesky bait stealing walleyes while fishing for cats. Probably should have tossed them on the ice eh since that was not my targeted species. blush.gif

Cats are way too good to eat to be throwing on the ice for the birds. Its complete disrespect towards the resource and totally illegal (wanton waste). Please let them go so the rest of us can enjoy the fishery!

soft

I agreed with Hanson.

Are Horseshoe and Long safe for walking?.

Thanks.

duckslayer27

Good point hanson

Did you stay late enough on saturday to get into the pesky crapies too. wink.gif Glad to see you and your dad had a good bite out there too. See ya on the water

SportFishin'

Anyone have a recent ice report for the Horseshoe?

Thanks,

Chris

so haaad

I was out on horseshoe on Wednesday afternoon. The fish were biting. smile.gif

SportFishin'

so haaad,

How thick was the ice? Would like to run up there with the family Christmas afternoon.

Later,

Chris

Eric

Ice is doing fine. Most are using atvs.

SportFishin'

Thanks Eric,

Merry Christmas!

Chris

'eyesmaster89

Me and a friend went out their yesterday. First time fishing cats. Went to a sharp drop and looked around a little and found some on the depthfinder.

Then it was unbelievable. Looked a little more, found spot that showed 20 feet, until I turned the power down on the vex, then it showed 35. Punched some holes and dropped the camera down. The cats were so thick the vex couldn't shoot through them. There had to be hundreds of em. shocked.gif They didn't seem to interested in the bait though, but we did manage 8 between the two of us. That was one of the coolest things I ever saw. grin.gifgrin.gif

Any one else ever find them this thick?

IceHawk

I have fished areas on the chain that are real similar. Cats winter in certain areas on the chain and you were probably in one of the areas they really school up. I call it danceing with the cats, quite the show on a underwater camera. I have had schools so thick that they literally run into each other. Cat fishing is a blast especially winter fishing for them. The chain is definately a pure cat meca and one of the few areas you can ice winter cats. As a request I ask all cat fisherman please keep some for a meal and release some back for the future. I know alot of people are tossing them on the ice etc. I have talked to the warden and he is looking into the problems etc. I personally have been working on this for years by showing and preaching to locals how the catfish is a important resource to our community etc. Cats are great tablefare and put up a excelllent fight and they are starting to find out. I have talked to alot of the locals who consider cats roughfish, and through time I hope they change their minds, respect the fish and enjoy what the chain has to offer and that's Cat-fishing at it's finest.

Eric

Well said IceHawk. The chain is a jem! I wish more people respected it. The walleye bite has been awsome too! You will catch little ones but those 20"s are nice surprises. I asked a gamewarden why I don't see the much on the chain. He said that "it's the land of 10,000 lakes and 25 wardens".

Blainebob

Never iced cats before,going to come up for the get together in march-sounds like a blast!!!

steeplechaser2

Last FRiday we managed three nice cats and about a dozen small eyes in 21 to 27 feet....great day...tasty cats! don't waste 'em....eat 'em or release 'em!!!!

Blainebob

Not sure where to access ice from. My folks have a place at the ranch,EL RANCHO MANANA-only been up in the summer.. Is there anywhere to get on near Brinkys liquor store? Not looking for hotspots,just a place to get on the ice!! Any help would be great!!

IceHawk

BlaineBoB- There is a winter access off of Hwy 22 past the public access. Most people use this one and it's the best area to go on. If you turn off HWY 23 onto HWY 22 go about 2 miles or so on 22. Look on the the right side you will see where people go out it's across from the Cedar Island winter access. Don't venture out from Brinkys canal to reach Horseshoe there is unsafe ice out near the mudflats and the bridge!

Ralph Wiggum

Are folks driving out there with trucks???

I plan on running out tomorrow afternoon, but I think I'll be making a long hike crazy.gif

IceHawk

No they are not. The ice ranges from 8-10 inches. Foot travel is easy and safer right now. Good luck!

Ralph Wiggum

Thanks! I'll definitely hoof it. I hope those kitties are hungry!!!

Huskiedevle

You are recommending foot travel on the ice, but what is the real deal on ATV's? I read a couple of the posts saying there are folks out there on 4 wheelers, but are the ice conditions good to go for ATV's? An 8-10 inch average seems good for ATV's/sleds, but I don't know the ice conditions overall, that some of you others have found out there already.Like most forum users here, I am just looking to be safe on the ice, not inundate any one spot on the chain. Thanks for any feedback.

The Chemist

Here's one suggestion I would give you.... if you are unfamiliar with the chain, I would first go by foot. Typically the first time I go out I walk to find out the status of the ice. I tend to stay in one specific area and if I drive out the first time I am out there I will park a good distance from the area and go out and scout as to where the open spot is as I have seen it move over the years at least it seems as though it changes from year to year.

Energypti1

I am heading out to the chain this weekend. can any bdoy give me some advice as where to go to get into some cats or walleys,on cedar island or I guess anywhere on the chain. Thanks