• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ever been attacked by wild Turkey? I have and am tired of it

Jim43

This last couple a years wild turkeys have moved into town since the development work around has closed off much of their habitat. 3 weeks ago a lone Tom who has balls of steel decided he was going take over the area we live in. I Manage 2 large Apt complexes with about 5 acres of land. There is large hill behind us that has woods and a new housing project. This lone turkey has decided to target me. everytime I would go out the door between my buildings he chase me down and start pecking at me and jumping up and try to catch his claws into me,I would have to kick him and punch him off. This has gone for weeks and finally was getting tired of it. Called animal control 3 days

ago. My residents have also had this happen to and I had to do something.

This morning I had just finished cleaning my other building and walked out the door at around 9:30am and wouldn`t ya know it. Darn Turkey spotted me and ran across the lot to start the attack again. Had enough, ran back to my entry where I placed a broom just for the this purpose of defending yourself.

I charged him back with the broom and missed one swing and he pecked me. I took another swing this time landing it right against body full force and it sent him flying. broke the broom to. he backed off for this time till a got across to my building and he decided to go for it again. I had just got into the doors when he got there. Told the wife if animal control does show in 5mn I will take care of business myself. 3mn later the police commander shows up. My old buddy Myron Weiland. I had the turkey fixated on me in the window on the side of the entry and Myron tried grab him with gloves to strangle him. Well, that was funny to watch since the turkey decided he wanted no part of Myron. He ran out and crossed between my buildings behind one with Myron right on his tail. Myron pulled out his 9mm and took 2 shots just outa site of us and all of a sudden there was turkey standing on top of my building roof 4 floors up. Myron comes back around and asked if we saw it. We just pointed up He just laughed and says that he is not so good hitting turkeys with his 9mm. I pointed out to him at the turkey that he did manage to seperate some feathers though.

About this time backup arrives and half my residents are hanging off their decks after hearing the gunshots. Half could see the turkey on the roof. Dino, Myrons sarge shows up with his riot shotgun filled buckshot. We stand around chatting while turkey decides his next move. About 5 mn later he decided he would fly over to the other building roof. Was a cold morning around 16f and there was frost on his flight plan landing. He landed and slid down right awayhe had to try fly again this time to the grass covers hill behind us. Dino quick ran up and lined up a shot and hammered it. Or so we thought, just as he got to the turkey it got up and ran up the hill before he get another shot.

Dino climbed up the hill to try and spot it but it had run off. He gave up and cam down complaining about how out of shape he was. the hill is about 80 to 100 ft high. :winkbiggrin:

Told Myron and Dino I would climb up and check for look for him after I get some warmer clothes on. Would give them a call if I found it. Never did see it anywhere up there. Probably ran into the housing development and died.

Oh yeah, I did get some of it on tape. Been an eventfull couple days, caught buck deer rutting on the hill out my window the day before to. All on tape.

Quicktime mp4 video:15.3mb

turkey001.jpg

Windows Media Player video:17.3mb

turkey002.jpg

Deer Rutting season quicktime mp4 video:12.4mb

Deer001.jpg

Deer Rutting season WMV video:13.8mb

Deer002.jpg

Been one of those weeks, Got tired of being attacked by the local wildlife but still love to watch it out my window.

I know how ya feel, two years ago with my summer job as a tree inspector I was attacked by a squirrel, licked by a deer (that was really weird), bit by a dog, and chased by 5 turkeys.

Ya need to watch them turkeys, they like to hook ya with them

rapter claws on the feet. They don`t feel to good when they

dig in. Touched a nerve in me after that, I was not gonna

take it anymore. Should have just let him charge me again and

twisted his neck myself.

Sounds like baseball bat or machette time to me.

Myself, I'd probably just let him have it with a shotgun. I doubt anyone would complain from the sounds of it.

Wish it were that simple, this has been happening right out in public in town. Every resident on the frontside of my buildings can see the action. Would have done it that way long ago had it not been for this. Someone would have reported me for sure. I figured let the police and animal control deal with it. Make it their problem. Sad thing about it is, I have no idea if its dead or not. Going to walk my son to school this morning first time in weeks since the turkey put a stop to it. I`ll take care of business this morning if he comes back.

Get a dog, have it next to you while you're outside, it will take care of the turkey in no time, I wish I was closer or I would come and "help you out" wink.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Get a dog, have it next to you while you're outside, it will take care of the turkey in no time, I wish I was closer or I would come and "help you out"
wink.gifgrin.gif

Neighbors have a Golden retriever and the turkey is not affraid of it. He would even try and attack the dog. Nieghbor had to start keeping a leash on the dog or else the dog would run home.

Just got back from walking mt son to school, first time in 3 weeks. No sign of the turkey. We will see in time if its really gone or dead. The later I`m hoping most for.

I would have easily been able to strangle it myself personally but it would have happened right out in public with may of my residents watching and neighbors across the street. I was not comfortable doing it that way. Was going to lure him into my underground garage but for some reason he would chase me into it but he would not follow. Would have quickly taken him out down there.

Quote:

Was going to lure him into my underground garage but for some reason he would chase me into it but he would not follow. Would have quickly taken him out down there.

LMAO grin.gifgrin.gif That is/was a smart turkey.

I have my daughter's dog, she's a female 1/2 boxer and 1/2 border collie, very mellow and well mannered dog, but don't mess with her "master" or "friends" she's afraid of nothing, I've had to stop her going after cows, bulls, ram sheep, and more (daughter married a farmer) just to keep them away from us

She will take the turkey in a hartbeat.

Anyway I hope it's over for you, I understand how frustrating it is.

Frustrating yes, but ya have to admit it's kinda funny.

For the record, yup I've tangled with turkeys.

i had the same problem on the farm i used to live on only it was two chickens. they would chase anybody with their back turned to them and peck/spur their legs. i watched them chase the UPS guy around the yard for about 10 minutes one day. they were kind of funny until they got on the hood of a car while we were out of town. they got the #6 shot after we had to pay for a new paint job on the hood.

We had a problem chicken when I was a kid too. It wouldn't bother anybody except my little brother. The minute he stepped off the deck that chicken was on him. Must have been his big ears or something. Absolutely hilarious (for me). He was pretty happy when butchering day came around that fall.

I had some "wild" turkeys do that when I was younger. They were raised in a pen and released so they weren't real afraid of people. They chased me into the garage one day where there just happened to be a paintball gun. There was an orange splattered turkey running around for a while. They never bothered me after that.

Well, its been quiet for 2 days now, either the turkey is dead

or it finally got the hint it was not his territory. I hope

it is dead. My son had been searching the woods on the hill

since the day it was shot at by police. He keeps saying he will

find it. grin.gif

Nice video. I just about st!t myself last night. I went outside the back door, 3ft to get an arm load of wood and out popped a possuim. Holy cows dropped the wood on my foot, going to lose a toe nail but man did that get the heart pumping. I live in the city. My heart is still racing just writing about it. The animals are revolting!!!!!!!! Are possuims dangerous?

Quote:

Nice video. I just about st!t myself last night. I went outside the back door, 3ft to get an arm load of wood and out popped a possuim. Holy cows dropped the wood on my foot, going to lose a toe nail but man did that get the heart pumping. I live in the city. My heart is still racing just writing about it. The animals are revolting!!!!!!!! Are possuims dangerous?

They are vicious animals, very quick and blood thirsty, they aim for your throat and don't let go until all your blood has been sucked up...... shocked.gif

Juuust kidding !!!!! They are not dangerous at all, but I wouldn't go and stick my finger in front of his mouth, althought they are funny to watch "playing dead" and that's probably what it did when you dropped your wood, they are a slow paced animal, rarely seen during daytime.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As I read your story I was wondering if this might have been a tom that the local news did a story on a few years ago in New Ulm, (at least I think it was New Ulm). They called it a hen that had taken up residence in town. One quick look at the tape showed a jake not a hen. I turned to my wife and said, "In a year of two this will end badly for the turkey. He'll get older, dominate and territorial with longer spurs and go after pets, childern and adults. He won't be nearly as cute then."

Phenomenal. These are the birds I'm hoping to run into this spring. Suicidal Turkeys. Sounds like a band-name.

Great video.......and, to all you turkey hunters out there, check out the video to see just how much heat a turkey can take. You can drill the crap out of these things, and they can still elude you. More reason to pattern your gun this spring!

Joel

no turkey incidents, but I had a coyote 6-10 feet behind me one morning.

No birds so I decided to stand-up and when I looked behind me - there he was! I jumped, but he stood motionless for a few seconds, then it jumped about feet in the air and ran - I suppose I should have shot that turkey chasen fool.

Loud talkin hens end up as coyote meals??

Quote:

As I read your story I was wondering if this might have been a tom that the local news did a story on a few years ago in New Ulm, (at least I think it was New Ulm). They called it a hen that had taken up residence in town. One quick look at the tape showed a jake not a hen. I turned to my wife and said, "In a year of two this will end badly for the turkey. He'll get older, dominate and territorial with longer spurs and go after pets, childern and adults. He won't be nearly as cute then."

Never heard of a news story about the turkeys here, I have

however made quite few videos of them around my buildings

the last couple a years.

Turkey fights in front of Garden Terrace MP4 video: 1-26-06:27.6mb @ 320x240

Wild Turkeys outside my window MP4 video: 1-15-06:10.6mb @ 320x240

Wild Tukeys in front of Garden Terrace MP4 video:5.2mb @ 320x 240

This was crazy back in Sept. looking out the window. Turns

out the deer spooked because of a cat stalking them from under the deck I could not see until they spooked and ran.

Was pretty funny watching a cat big game hunting.

Cat spooks deer out my window MP4 video:9.8 @ 640x480

Just wondering how this topic got placed in the hunting forum ?

Since the open water forum didn`t fit it, maybe the photo forum

shound be expanded to include real life video to and placed in

there ?

Quote:

If you get another turkey visiting you at your apartments(or this one comes back), try to get some footage of when its chasing you!

grin.gif

Actually the first part of the video it was chasing me across the parking lot. edited out the parts where it was

pecking me since all that was on that part of the video was

the parking lot closeup and some foul langauge as I kicked

it back. Turns out some residents guests have come forward

and told me of the turkey attacking them. They used the

broom on it to. grin.gif

When I was a kid we lived on a farm and we had a rooster from hell too. Everytime I would go near the barn it would attack and try to get me with those spurs. He even ripped a few pairs of pants. Well one day he was after me again and like always I looked around for anything to swing at it and I found a pipe. I swung the pipe at him and accidentally connected perfectly with his head. That rooster went straight down and didn't even move a wing. I got scared cuz this stupid rooster was my dad's pride and joy. I went and told my mom what happened because she hated that thing as much as I did. She told me to hurry up and take it up into the pasture and throw it in the pit that we had because dad would be home soon. I did that and not much later he came pulling into the driveway. About that time our dog was dragging the rooster down out of the pasture right past him! I thought I was dead but he just swore at the dog and figured the dog killed the rooster. I didn't argue and neither did the dog.