• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grunting vs the can

DOAducks

I have never really done either but I am interested in both. I am going out tom. and next week. I was just wondering what would be more effective this time of year? There are some big boys in the area that others who hunt their have seen. what do you guys think? Grunt call or the can call. Any response whout be apreciated.

It depends if yor going for a big buck or anything with bones on their head. in the early season it might work with a grunt but now I would keep her in my pocket until I saw a biggun'. the other night I spooked a decent 8 point with my grunt call. I saw him get beat up by a bigger buck! Now a big buck might come charging in this weekend looking for his next fix. I say use the can. and if you do see a biggun', grunt with 1-1.5 second long grunts that sound like this. nnnrrrpp decending in volume in a series of 4-6 grunts each time spaced 2-3 seconds apart. I know this because I witnessed it from 15 yards with about 5 bucks chasing one doe, Awesome experience! If your walking to your stand in daylight, in the last 15 yards run to your stand making lots of racket and grunt every step or two, but get ready they will come in fast if a buck hears it and is close, do not worry about snapping twigs, the deer I watched sounded like silent atv's going through the brush. grin.gif

That would be funny to see. Running through the woods, gun on your back, call in your mouth. Looking like some clown. I'll probably try it though. Picture it. It doesn't matter what it looks like if it works. If somebody saw you do it they'd probably think you were some kind of (Contact Us Please). But if it worked...

Great tips brassman, I totally agree with you. If you are bow hunting you better have it hooked to your lift cord or they might be on you before you are situated in your stand.

Thanks brassman for all the great info, honestly I am going to try the running grunt. I hope if you ever have your own hunting show you will call it " The Running Grunt" hosted by brassman. thanks again. grin.gifgrin.gif

With a grunt and can, I've had tons of success with this strategy. Start out with the can about 2-3 times, wait a cpl mins, can again 2-3 times then immediately follow with some grunts as if the buck is chasing her around. I run this for about 5mins then take a 20min break and repeat. I brought a dandy in once using this, he came in grunting tearing through the buck brush as if he was creating his own trail. Intense and it works good.

I agree with brassman. If a little buck just lost a battle with the "biggun" as he stated, he would be less apt to come into grunting or rattling. Opening weekend I was watching a little buck run back and forth while I was using the can call. He didn't flinch at all to the grinting, but came running each time I hit the can. IMO I don't think that there is any time of the rut where a can call would spook deer. I am totally sold on its effictiveness.

my grunt call has been freezing up lately due to the cold weather,,,i think i might go grab a can for the bleat instead of moving the oring to make it a bleat on my grunt call.

Usually there are both at our camp, especially after 15 bean soup. Then there's all kinds of grunting at the can, and guys calling for more TP. Rarely, if you listen closely, you can even hear rattlin' from the 27 lit candles being shaken on the shelf in there. Doesn't bring in too many deer for some reason, though. Maybe that has to do with scents, but I don't even want to start with that topic.

I tend to have any calls that I use whether it be for duck hunting or deer hunting, as the temps drop, they find a new home tucked into my bibs close to my body. They only come out when I need them. This helps a lot. I hear you about the sliding of the o-ring. Not a very fun thing to do when they are frozen.

My co-worker just got back from Iowa using a decoy siloette and with some sent it was unbelievable. We just watched some footage of it and made me a believer as well. What I see happeing in the near future is everything on the market has its time and place depending your region and time that your hunting. Now if you put all the grunt, can, calls with scent with a visual object your odds for sure have to increase compared to just sitting in your stand and waiting for the deer to come wondering along a trail. This weekend I'm hoping to get out and try this silloette decoy with some sent and see what happens.

meat run

Good Luck Meat-run. Something new to add to your arsenal? If you need a spot to store all this new stuff, I know a guy with a big garage. smirk.gif

How about a Ranger boat??? I can throw my decoys in the boat and you can use them both anytime you want?

mr

Sorry buddy. I already have two boats in my garage. I wouldn't think that my father-in law would be too happy if I decided to swap places with his boat.

I know I just was giving you hard time. Anyways she's put away for the winter now so I don't want to move it till spring.

mr

I have had more luck with the can then grunting, actually scared more bucks while grunting, never the dominant one, but never see him, only my brother gets to frown.gif. Anyway i had a nice 8 right before rifle season, he wasnt planning on getting to me until dark so i figured a hurry him up a little, gave him a couple cans, with a couple grunts, he was intrested in the can, but i think the grunts had him a litte worried that the big guy was there. He just hung out at 50 yds so i didnt shoot. Moved my tree a little closer the next day and a couple days later nailed him at 30yds. Those cans work good for does and fawns though, had 2 fawns run to my tree, also 2 small sixes came right ot it, but a hit the grunt once and they were gone. I also had a real doe bleat, by my statnd and the fawn that was next to me went running over to her, that was neat. But i think the can works better for all deer and the grunt is for that big one or one looking for a fight.