• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

License question..

BigWormin

I have a archery and firearms license. If I tag a doe with my regular firearm license, am i still able to bowhunt and tag a buck with my archery license?

I actually called the DNR with this same question about 2 years ago. The answer was yes.

From the book...

BAG LIMITS FOR DEER

• Hunters may tag deer on both their firearms (including muzzleloader) and archery deer licenses. This provision applies statewide, however, hunters may only tag ONE buck per calendar year.

that depends if you used a bonus tag or not to tag the doe. I believe you may only use one buck tag a year, and if you used the buck tag for a doe then you have used your buck tag for the year.

That is my understanding of the rule. That is why i just purchased the all season so i didnt have to worry about that anymore.

Hope that helps

Quote:

I have a archery and firearms license. If I tag a doe with my regular firearm license, am i still able to bowhunt and tag a buck with my archery license?

Yes, you can....A buck or another doe. I use to hunt with the same license you have, just make sure you don't tag more than 1 buck in any season(firearm, archery, muzzleloader).

No matter what season you go, you get issued one buck permit, It used to be that the permits transferred from season to season you got one buck permit and if you used it on a doe during archery season, your buck permit was used up, you could only tag a doe during firearms season. Basically, what it did was make you buy a management tag during archery, even if you only wanted to shoot a doe and save your buck tag for firearms. Now, you can tag a doe with your general license during archery, and still tag a buck with your general license during firearm. It doesn't carry over season to season, however, you can still only register one buck a year. Man that sounds confusing frown.gif

Might be best to give the scenarios.

#1 buy a general archery tag, shoot a doe, tag it with the general archery tag, you can't shoot a buck during archery but can still tag a buck with your general firearm permit during the season. (Under the old rules, if you did this, your one antlered tag was used up regardless and you couldn't shoot a buck anymore that year regardless of season)

#2. Buy a general archery tag, shoot a buck, you can ONLY tag it with your general archery tag, now your general firearms tag is only good for a doe during firearm season if it is offered.

I believe that this is correct.

Thanks for the replies guys. I did buy a bonus tag for gun, but due to not seeing any deer in that zone I'll be hunting elsewhere this weekend and wanted to make sure I could still tag a doe and be able to tag a buck with my bow. I have an awesome late season spot grin.gif

You can use your regular archery and regular firearms both in the same year, however you can only shoot 1 buck. The regular license is NOT a buck or a doe license. You can use it to tag either a buck or a doe with the key is you can only tag 1 buck no matter what. Alot of people buy the management tags for does to save their regular license for a buck. If you just bowhunted and tagged a buck with your regular license you would be limited to bowhunting does with management tags after that. So in a nutshell you can use your main archery and your main firearms tags on any sex deer as long as you only tag 1 buck total for the season.

Quote:

Thanks for the replies guys. I did buy a bonus tag for gun, but due to not seeing any deer in that zone I'll be hunting elsewhere this weekend and wanted to make sure I could still tag a doe and be able to tag a buck with my bow. I have an awesome late season spot
grin.gif

The bonus tag isn't season specific. It's a generic permit that you can use so long as you have a valid license and you're in the right area. In other words, there is no such thing as an archery bonus permit or a firearm bonus permit. It's just a bonus permit. The intent was to move away from season-specific permits and give hunters flexibility. So, if you're bowhunting (or muzz hunting) in a managed or intensive area, you can use that bonus permit on an antlerless deer. Of course, you need to be hunting with the appropriate weapon. You can't be out there during the archery season with a muzzleloader and say "but I have this bonus permit".

Wow, I never new that, so I looked real quick. Yep, same tag, I guess I have two bonus permits for 3b, Yeah. But I do have another question, when I brought this up at work, another hunter asked a good question.

If your party hunting, and you have used up your tags, what do you have to show that you are legal? 1/2 the tag stays with the deer, the other half to the registrar in return for a possession tag that is supposed to stay with the meat. What are you left with to show that you are legal?

When you register your deer, you receive a possession tag and that is what stays with your deer. You then still have the top portion of your tag to carry with you in the field.