• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My folks have a cabin on Big Sandy, about 15 min away from McGregor. The first few years we fished the lake we could find the walleyes, mostly eaters. But lately it seems near impossible to find the fish. We have been using bottom bouncers with leaches, or draging rapalas. Any ideas? Especially for ice fishing since it is right around the corner

Ice fishing is really tough for the Eye's on Sandy.

Open water I stay shallow rarely deeper then 6' leeches and minnows work best, never had much luck with cranks.

Lot's of small eyes on BS didn't see many over 18" last year but there were quite a few 10"-14"s caught, we won't talk about all the pesky little Northerns.... cool.gif

I know it, those hammer handles are always around. It seems we've used the same type of strategy. Good to know we are not the only ones who have trouble finding them. Wish there was some trick to catching those walleyes. Well maybe this year will be the year we figure it out.

Katie

No offense, but has Big Sandy ever put out big walleyes? And if not, why? Its big, adequate depth, plenty of structure and appears to have relatively low fishing pressure, all the ingredients for a stellar walleye lake. It seems this lake has always been a bingo factory.

For walleyes, believe it or not I've trolled floating rapalas under the 65 bridge and done fair, nothing big. It is true that 6 - 8 ft is the ticket, also can try slowly trolling a lindy rig and crawlers in the summer time. Anything for Ice fishing on sandy and I am as lost as the next person.