• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

favorite muzzleloading powder ?

DRH1175

What is your favorite powder and why. I am looking at picking up a rifle and doing some shooting before the season starts. What should I start with? I was thinking 777 or jim shockey gold and loose since I have heard the pellets are incoincistant and it will be in a CVA .50. Also ffg or fffg?

I have never used anything but pyrodex loose powder for most practice and pyrodex pellets for hunting. I have had great success with both. Powder is much cheaper for practice but I like the convenience of the pellets for hunting. I also use the patch and ball method for practice and just swab the barrel after every couple of shots. I have found better groupings after "seasoning" the barrel with about 75 rounds fired.

BTW, I would recommend pellets for hunting purposes. The loose powder is more likely to attract moisture resulting in a fouled shot. As long as you pull the primer you can legally keep the barrel loaded up as long as it is cased. I have done this for over a full week with pellets and still had no problem in making a clean kill. A trick to this is to not subject the barrel to rapid temperature fluctuations causing condensation. The only problem I have ever heard was someone putting the pellets in with the wrong end first.

I use Pydrox loose powder. I use 120 grains and shoot sabots. Shoots great. I leave it in for few days or a week at a time and it still goes bang. Loose is better for tinkering with loads, my load shoots flat out to 150yds and open sights at 100yds i get a small fist size grouping. Never tried it with a scope, but i bet it would tighten it up considerable.

This is the first year for me and I'm going with 90gr (loose) of FFg 777 under a 250gr Barnes Expander MZ.

I'm hoping for a bit less fouling and as much or more velocity than 100gr of 777 pellets.

FFFg loose should be reduced by about 10% to 15% from what I've read to get the same outcome as FFg. So, about 85gr of FFFg should send the bullet about the same as 100gr of FFg - at least from what I've read on some muzzleloader websites.

I also use pyrodex powder. I have found and have been told that shooting the pellets you don't get as good of a grouping when target shooting. Its good to hear people have not had problems after leaving the powder in for a week. The longest I have left it in is only a couple of days, and never had a problem.

Triple Seven loose is 15% stronger with the FFG as well.

I switched over to shooting 90 grains of FFFG Triple Seven this year. I don't think it's rated as being that much more powerful than the double FF powder but it has a faster burn rate(because it's smaller) and therefore does produce more velocity by the time it reaches the end of your barrel.

I wonder if the guys that reload have as much fun as we do with our muzzleloaders? So much stuff to talk about and so much stuff to learn.

Ryan

FFG 777 & 100Gr Patched round ball is my mainstay.

I also use those easy loaders where you have

two end caps, with your patch and ball in one end

and the powder in between. This is a great way

to go to the range or woods. I have weighed up

several of them, used one or two for my hunting

situations, and found them to still fire fine

when I go back to the range. A little less crisp

and power but still one cap, and off it goes.

I wouldn't try using old loads for hunting

the following season, but they work fine

for seasoning up your smokepole!! Don't forget the

bore butter. It is the best stuff out there.

I use those Remington gold balls and the real

tuck patches. Oh man can't hardly wait!!