• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

.270 SM question

nluchau

Anyone else have one of these rifles. I picked up a Tikka this summer and hunted with it this weekend. The gun is awesome I shot couple deer in the neck and found it put a good 5 inch hole in em. Is it just ironic that it hit the neck bone and just shattered causing this big of a hole? or how big of a hole do they leave on a perfect behind the shoulder shot? Any replies would be great on how big of hole your .270 SM leaves.

nluchau

Yep, you hit the bone that is why is had large whole. Also depends on what type of load you shoot. I shot a doe this weekend in the neck, just about took her head off simply because of a good round and it hit the bone. I shoot a .270 (not short mag) When the bullet hits something solid they expand etc. If you shot it through the cooker, most likely would zip through tearing up the vitals and just causing it to bleed to death.

I have a Browning gold hunter 270 WSM and love it, the bullets fly far straighter than the traditional 30-06 and they pack a mean punch!

I bought a Browning A-Bolt 270 SM this fall and I love it. This is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I was hoping for a long shot so that I could test it out. Today I got my chance on a decent 10 pointer at 385 yds. This is the longest shot that I have ever tried and the rifle performed perfectly. The buck was hit in the front shoulder and dropped like a stone. I think the deer was dead when it hit the ground, it never even twitched. I couldn't be happier with the rifle.

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was just that I hit the neck bone but wasn't sure. I love my gun so far too. Have yet to miss!

Unbelievable shot dillon. Congrats!

By the way I was shooting Federal 130 grains. I got the caliber because it packs a punch. I call it my cannon. You wont be trailing the deer with this gun. Bang => Drop

This is the third season I have hunted with my 270wsm, and I think this is the greatest rifle I have ever used. I have been using 150gr ballistic rounds, but they do entirely too much damage, and am looking to go with something different.

I've had a 270 WSM now for 4 years and have taken 3 deer with it. The last 2 years I've had some large holes in my deer... let's just say that it stopped them.

The first two years I shot 130 Remington Core Lokt's.. then couldn't find them and switched to Winchester 150 Grain Super X Powerpoints and have noticed some larger holes lately.

I'd like to switch back to 130 grain bullets and the remington's didn't group very well for me, but just about the only thing I've been able to find in 130 grain has been balistic tip.. and I've heard that these will make a bigger mess than my 150's.... any truth to that?

Oh, I love the gun... it's knocked deer without too many problems.

Thanks!

marine_man

I'm not the kind of guy that likes to track deer after wounding them so I guess I wont have to with this rifle. I hate to loose meat too but I guess if you hit them perfect each time it doesn't matter.

With this rifle I'm sure I could hunt Elk and Moose too if I wanted.

Quote:

I'm not the kind of guy that likes to track deer after wounding them so I guess I wont have to with this rifle. I hate to loose meat too but I guess if you hit them perfect each time it doesn't matter.

With this rifle I'm sure I could hunt Elk and Moose too if I wanted.

I have yet to have lost a solid hit animal. Now a deer hit in the leg or hind quarter you might be tracking for a while. It won't matter if it is a .223 or .300 mag. But I do agree the the .270 short mag is a sweet little gun. But after skinning Marine_Man's deer this weekend they do put a lot larger hole in a deer than my .270. He had shot in the ribs that pretty much blew out 3 ribs. I had a similar shot that out 1 rib. Doesn't matter we both got them but the .270 WSM will do more damage. It isn't too bad till you get into the back end of the deer then it is a suprise when you open them up grin.gif.

I was looking at a .270sm for quite a while until I looked at the cost of some of those shells. The cheapest I could find was around $25 a box. I try to shoot my rifles as much as I can so that I am familiar with them come hunting season and at the price of those shells it might hurt a little as much as I shoot. I am now torn between a 30-06 and a .270 but I am leaning a little more towards the 30-06 because of the wide assortment of bullets. It sounds like a heck of a round, though. I am thinking about getting into handloading and if I do there will be one in the gun cabinet for sure.

My father recently purchased a Winchester 1885 single shot with the .270 WSM. Second day of the Minnesota season he shot one and the deer literally dropped in it's tracks. It was dead before it hit the ground. When we looked at the hit, he was a little forward and put it through the shoulders (yes...both of them) the hole on each side was about 4 inches in diameter.

He figured he had to track it for about 6 inches until he found it.

Steve