• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow setup...

cupper

Hi guys. I am just getting into archery... I just ordered a bow and now it is time to get it setup. I am in the process of collecting opinions on different items and doing some research. I just came from Cabin Fever in Victoria and they were very helpful and insightful. Now I want to ask some questions to all of you. I know a post like this can get long so I will try to keep it short. Basically I am just looking for opinions and insight on why certain pieces of equipment are preferred. Here goes...

1.) sights - 1-pin vs. 3-pin?

2.) Peep vs. kisser button

3.) Drop-away rests... what do you prefer? (I have been strongly encouraged to go with a muzzy zero-effect, but when talking to the kind folks at cabin fever, they tried to steer me towards a rip cord instead. They said that the muzzy has too many parts and is too tough to tune)

4.) What kind of release?

I really appreciate any thoughts you are willing to share.

Thanks a bunch!

-Cupper

#1)I shoot 3 pins... (15-30-40yds)The 40 is more for practice than for shooting deer.. never shot past 30 yards.

#2) all of the above.. I shoot a peep and a kisser button(just an extra knock set)

#3)I do shoot a drop away rest for hunting... I have a Trophy Taker and really like it.

#4)I shoot a Scott Release for hunting.. Not sure the model? I am a much larger fan of a buckle style than a velcro.. velcro is noisy! Be sure to shoot a release before you buy it. as each person seems to feel confortable with different releases.. \

Enjoy the new bow.. I love setting them up. I'm sure the boys as Cabin Fever will get you going in the right direction.

I have a 3 pin and have since removed the other 2. I use 1 pin at 20 yds. My setup is pretty flat shooting and fast so I can use the same pin out to 25yds. I never shoot past 30 so there isn't a need for mroe pins cluttering my sight window.

I use both. I owuldn't ever think of using just the kisser button, especially since you're new to archery. Get both a kisser and a 1/4" peep for hunting.

Drop aways are gret. I don't have one but will be getting one after the season. My buddy has the ripcord and thinks its just fine.

I shoot a Tru-fire HUrricane buckle. I also agree that buckle's are better cause they are quiet. When you climb into your stand at 6am and you need to put your release on you don't want velcro ripping as you retighten your release to get it just right. I'm not very fond of my release so I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but it works fine and was around $50.

The folks at Cabin Fever are great. I bought my bow there and they've done all the work I've ever needed. The owner, Jeff, is the one who recently worked on my bow. Great guy and he knows his stuff. He had me shooting bullseyes in less than 20 shots after putting on a new peep sight.

I just got into bow hunting and I shoot a 1 pin NAP that Cabin Fever sold me and love it. I have a two rests, one is the one that came with the bow with a NAP rip cord and I have a Trophy Ridge DropZone Hunter that I got on ebay but but, I'm going to set with my setup so its going back on ebay. And my release is a Judge Truefire which I love for about $65.00. And I shoot a peep. If your buying the bow from Cabin Fever, i would listen to all they have to say, this know their stuff and very nice people.

Ken

Personally, I shoot a three pin, but really only use 2 for hunting. Depending on the arrow speed, you may be able to shoot a single pin reliably out to about 30 yards with a little practice.

Havent ever used a kisser so I have no advice there, but with regard to a peep, I suggest getting as large a peep as you can accurrately shoot with. A bigger peep is much better under low light conditions.

Regarding rests, prior to this year I used a whisker biscuit. Its a great rest, but I just felt that it introduced more random variation in my groupings than I was comfortable with. After I switched to a schaffer drop away, the consistency improved greatly. Not knocking the WB, like I said they are a great rest, but I feel the drop away is a much better way to go. If you are just starting out you may want to consider one of the drop aways that totally captures the arrow so it can't slip off the rest. That was the thing I really loved about the WB.

Another thing I would suggest are cut on contact broaheads. You will get a zillion different opinions on this I am sure, but from my experience the cut on contact heads like the G5 Montec result in a better more consistent blood trail, given a well placed shot.

I shoot a 5 pin Cobra sidewinder sure loc sight set for 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60. It'd have to be the buck of a lifetime to take a 40 shot for me and the 50 and 60 are basically for 3D shooting. I use a Trophy taker drop away and I wouldn't go any other route, it works great. I don't use a kisser button because I hold the nock where the kisser would be held anyway. As for a release go with what feels comfortable for you. I shoot a TruBall Copper head and love it, but my buddies shoot others and love theirs too. Bow hunting is a lot of personal preference.

cupper,

Your in great hands with Jeff at Cabin Fever, he is the most honest and ethal person you will ever find. I bought a muzzel loader from him about 10 yrs ago. Being a nebie to this sport I came to the counter with a basket full of stuff I thought I needed. He took one look at the basket and then at me and removed about half the contents explaining why I didn't need these items. Needless to say I spend all my money there, If Jeff doesn't have it, he will get it for you and his prices are the same as the large chain stores. Its the service that counts!!!

Thanks for all your info guys. I really appreciate it. I just got my bow in the mail last night and I am pumped. Two more quick questions:

1.) Does anyone have anything bad to say about the muzzy zero-effect drop away rest vs. a different drop away like the rip cord?

2.) What hours does Jeff usually work at Cabin Fever? I went on Saturday and he wasn't in there.

DD,

Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I'm curious about something- why 15, 30, 40 instead of the more common 20, 30, 40 yard pins?

Scoot, It always seemed like when I set up I was having a 15 yard shot. Of all your deer, what do you think your average shot distance was? So I was ending up shooting a touch high or having to think about aiming a bit low. I didn't want to do that anymore.. so I switched to 15/30 Also, closer shots with my anchor and such.. I am spot on at 10 and only a touch low at 20 using my 15 yard pin. When I shot a 20 yard pin.. It seemed like I was 2.5-3" high at 15 yards?

So, probably more than you needed to know.. but there you have it.. so 15-30 for hunting... and 40 is for practice, or if the need arised in having to finish off an animal.

Makes sense to me. I definitely agree- the vast majority of my shots have been under 20 yards. I get rigged up for 20 and use it for anything from 25 and under. If I aim 1/3 up from the bottom of the deer, I'm in good shape regardless of the yardage (if under 25). After that, all I have to do is make a good shot.

Your set up makes good sense to me. However, I don't think I can make a change- my top pin will always be a "20 yard pin" in my head. Whatever works for each of us, I guess.

Thanks for the info.

I am going back to a pendelum sight.No more trying to figure high or low at close range.I use to use one and I never shot deer so well.I set it for 20 yards and if the deer were close and I was 20 feet high it didnt matter.I rarely shoot more than a 25 yards shot and if needed can shoot just a tick high.I love tghose sights and dont know why I ever changed.

I've never used one. I've heard very mixed reviews of them-- some people seem to love 'em, like you HL, but some people seem to hate 'em. I've been fairly satisfied with my setup, so I won't make any drastic changes right now. Not too sure yet, but I might buy a new bow for next year. I might swap over and shoot an Elite- it's basically a Bowtech with better strings from the factory. We'll see... I've still got to find a deer with the setup I have!

I just started bow hunting two years ago, and i know where you are comming from there are alot of options for every thing that goes along with a bow. But I use

1)a three pin sight

2)peep

3)a drop away rest, it seemed to me that the other rests would have too much resistance and make alot more noise.

Have a great hunt!!! You'll love archery, makes for a nice long season.

Katie

Quote:

Scoot

We will find you a buck next year.
smile.gif

HL, I like your way of thinking! wink.gif I'm definitely not giving up on this year yet though. I've still got a couple spots to try my best to find the right buck. My next few weekends are pretty well shot (wedding, T-day/b-day party for son, family gathering, trip to Cities), but after that the deer will herd up with the snow and I'll be out chasing 'em. The last couple weeks of Dec is usually pretty good to me as far as bowhunting is concerned.

Katie, welcome! This is a great place for anyone who enjoys archery- you'll like it here.

Let's try this one more time...

1.) Does anyone have anything bad to say about the muzzy zero-effect drop away rest vs. a different drop away like the rip cord?

2.) What hours does Jeff usually work at Cabin Fever? I went on Saturday and he wasn't in there.

Like I said cupper, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Can anyone help him out with his two questions? I've used a couple drop away rests and have been happy with them, but never used the zero effect drop away you mentioned. Don't know anything about Cabin Fever.

Anyone know something that can help out cupper?

cupper,

give them a call @ 443-2022, he usually there in the mornings, or talk to Dawn setting something up with jeff.

Cupper,

I had a Zero effect on my Mathews MQ1. When I upgraded my Mathews to an LX the first thing I bought was another Zero effect, although I needed a different model.

I love this rest as a hunting rest. I like the fact that the one prong on the rest is very long for holding the arrow on. I also love the fact that I can put mole skin right on the rest. I've missed a few chances on big bucks when my carbon arrows still made noise rubbing against the teflon of my older rests. With the Muzzy it's big enough to just put mole skin right on it.

It would be nice if it had some form of a micro-adjustment on the rest but it doesn't. I would recommend this rest to any bowhunter.

Thank you for you input archerystud. Some people I have talked to were not in favor of the muzzys because they are hard to tune with all the moving parts... would you say that is accurate? I did wonder about smaller rests making noise because of not being able to put moleskin on them.

Thanks agian for your input!

Cupper,

I really haven't had problems tuning the rest, although it would be nice to have some form of a micro adjustment.

For tuning it seems as if the up and down is pretty much dead on for me when I installed it. For left to right I start by eyeballing it. First I line up the strings in the cams and then line up the string with the V on the rest. After that I'm usually throwing bullet holes.

Like I said before I think it is a GREAT hunting rest.