• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Varmint gun/scope combo?

bmc

I'm going to buy a H & R Handi rifle in .204 Ruger and put a Simmons Varmint scope 6.5x20x40 on it. Anyone have any experience with this gun or scope? A buddy and I are planning on doing some predator hunting this winter. I don't have alot of $$$ available and was told this rifle is a good one for the money. Anyone have any input?

Brian

204 is a great caliber. but for those yotes you need a tough bullet, i had a 32grain blitzking splash on the shoulder of one last year at 300+ yds. He let out a heck of a yip then took off. I am getting some berger bullets, they are supposed to take care of coyotes no problem. You probly dont need a 6.5by 20 scope, if you plan on calling. I have a leapold 4-12 and thats plenty. Good luck and shoot alot of them. I dont know much about your gun though. i have a savage bolt with the bull barrel, it was bout 480 but that was for the left handed model.

I have the same rifle in .223, and i love it. But right now i am looking for a 22-250 or a .243. maybe the same rifle but i am looking at bolt guns.

If I were going to buy a new rifle for heavy varmint use I think it would be .243...

It's pretty fast, flat shooter, that packs a decent punch especially if you plan on some longer shots on the bigger critters.

I've used my .270 on occasion with some factory 100gr bullets and it did pretty well too. Not a tack-driver as some of the .223, etc., but more than adequate for the larger varmints even at quite a distance.

I have a Savage .243 with a Simmons 6.5-20x44 Mag 44 and I am very happy with it, I shoot 55gr Slivertip Winchesters or 58gr Hornady V-Max and can take them at 300yds with no problem.

Gun and scope cost me less than $ 500 last year.

This year I upgraded to an AR-15 .223 with a Bushnell Elite scope, way better gun but twice the money.

Many despise the Simmons scopes, I have 2 of them and I'm very happy especially the price I paid.

I would strongly suggest a bolt action, .204 is a good caliber but just a tad small for what I would buy, but if you stay with H&R check their Varmint rifle

I agree with Valv i have a simmons scope on my deer rifle and it has been the only scope on the rifle since i bought it. I love it and it has never moved once.

BMC, if you decide to get the H&R and possibly want it in an .223, with a 4X12 bushnell, I have one that i really dont use that much even though it is a real shooter. let me know.

Brandon

I would stay with the 22-250 if I were you. It can shoot a little larger bullet, that doesn't deflect so much in the wind. I would go with 3x9 or 4 to 12 scope. If you get the higher powers they are a little slow to find your target. If you are just target shooting the higher power would be great. CAJ

OK...but what if a guy were interested in saving the pelts from fox and coyotes?? Anyone have any ideas?? I've heard the .17 Rem with a 25 gr bullet works great. Entrance hole only...and small one at that.

We save the pelts from our coyotes and fox. Coyotes can handle a 22-250 if hit solid. The 204 goes in coons and fox and doesnt come out, unless they are real close. I have heard the 17 rem is pretty good, but you dont have the knock down that you want for a coyote at longer ranges. It works but sometimes they run after they are shot and you need to get good solid hits form what i have heard. The 250's knock the crap out of fox unless they are out a ways. For night calling i like my 17 hmr where i suspect fox, but we usually go in pairs so if i carry the little gun i always have some backup for the coyotes or the longer shots.

Quote:

I would stay with the 22-250 if I were you. It can shoot a little larger bullet, that doesn't deflect so much in the wind. I would go with 3x9 or 4 to 12 scope. If you get the higher powers they are a little slow to find your target. If you are just target shooting the higher power would be great. CAJ

The .243 with a 55gr bullet is faster than the 22-250 with same grain bullet and just a tick behind shooting a 70gr bullet. A nice side benefit is that the .243 is legal caliber for big game/deer too whereas the .22 cal stuff is not.

I agree with Whoaru99 100%. When I was choosing my rifle last year I wanted a 22-250 or 25-06 after listening to dealer recommendations and comparing ballistics I did choose a .243, it is flatter shooting.

Check some factory combos, my Savage came very accurate out of the box.

Brian,

I've done ALOT of varmint hunting and can honestly say that it doesn't matter what size gun you have if you know its limitations. The h&r rifles are tack driver's, I cant say enough good about them. I used to have one in .223 but tradded it on an ar-15. Stupidest thing I have ever done. $225 rifle that would give consistant .5 inch groups at 100 yards, traded for a $1200 dollar rifle that has a hard time giving me 3/4" groups.

Anyway, as far as caliber if your short on cash I would just go out with whatever deer rifle you have. If you plan to keep the hides I would go with a .223 or smaller. .223 ammo is cheap and easy to get.

Or if it is adreneline and challenges you want from predator hunting, go with your bow. There is something magical about calling in a coyote and being able to hear him breathe, when you are using a mouth call just remember that he is hunting you!

One more bit of advice, ALWAYS wear a hat with a bill on it. There are predators in the sky also, I would hate to be suprised by a hawk or owl as their tallons scratched my temples. OUCH!

Ryan

(fishtrapgirls husband)

Zelek-

I have a .17 caliber and it works great for fox, but its really bad to use on coyotes. The bullet is way to light and the wind really affects the longer shots. I just bought a ruger .223 with a nikon buckmaster 6x14x50 what a great gun and inexpensive to shoot. Last year it took down alot of coyotes. Anyways just my 2 cents on .17 and .223

I decided on the H&R Handi Rifle in .204 ruger. A buddy had a Tasco 6x24 scope that he wanted to get rid of so I gladly scooped it up. I took it to the range yesterday and ran a box and a half through it. I forgot sand bags, so it isn't totally sighted in, but at 100 yds I could put 5 in a 2" group. I tried a couple rounds at 200 yds, but the group opened up to the size of a paper plate. I'm excited to take my first coyote or fox with this set up. Here's a pic.

204rugermb0.jpg

Brian

Make sure you let it cool down a bit between shots, when they warm up abit they tend to have a few flyers. I shot my 204 with 40grain berger hollow point boottails, Heard good results with them, anyway put one dead center bullseye at 300yds. then took 3 quick shoots at a 3by3 sqare and all 3 were within an inch or so. Not bad for leaning over a folded gun case. Hopefully i find a yote or two later this week to test it on. I sight in at 2in high at 100yds gets me 1.5 at 200yds and bout dead on at 300. I should stick it in a vice but i like to practice at those ranges.