• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thompson Center Pro Hunter

fishtrapgirl

I recently bought a T/C Pro Hunter .50 muzzleloader. I won't be able to get off of work for muzzleloader season, but do plan on using it for the Wisconsin gun season coming up next weekend. I put a Nikon Omega muzzleloader scope on it last week. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. This weekend I am going bowhunting in Wisconsin and will get a chance to sight it in at my parent's farm. Does anyone have a Pro Hunter and if you do what do you think of it so far? I know they are new to the market. I am new to muzzleloaders and with the amount of money I have invested in this thing it better be fun! Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. The gun shop where I got it threw in a bottle of American Pioneer Powder sticks. Will these work good enough or should I buy loose powder? Thanks for any help!

fishtrapgirl

The one problem you will have is that a muzzleloader is not like a regular rifle. You need to some time to figure out your load and get it sighted in right. The Omega scope is designed for 150 grains of pyrodex I believe but that powder should be close. I've not shot that powder but if its the one with Jim Shockey on the label (American Pioneer Gold) its supposed to be really really good. I have a buddy that swears by it. I shoot Triple 7 pellets and really like them. Used to shoot Pyrodex and honestly wouldn't buy the stuff anymore its so dirty and smelly compared to the triple 7 and that other stuff.

You have purchased one of the absolute best smokepoles out there and you won't be disappointed in it. You just need more time than you probably have right now in order to be ready to really use it. Also, I hope you bought a good set of quick disconnect rings/bases because you can't use the scope during MN's muzzleloader season and you won't want to have to start from scratch every time sighting it back in. I have some from Talley that are the top of the line in Quick Disconnect mounts.

Good Luck.

I have the Pro Hunter. no scope though. i got my first deer with it last night. had Barnes 250 gr bullets with 100 grs of 777 powder tablets. They recomend with that sceop you have to use 150 grains of powder with 250 grain thompson center shockwave. but I'm sure you can adjust as need. Dropped my doe last night where I shot her. It was a blast. Only problem I'm having is sometimes it wont seat just right. I love it though. Took it out again tonight but didnt' see anything. Keep me posted because I want to get that scope.

I will keep you posted about the scope. I'm so excited to use this thing I can hardly sleep at night. Thanks to both of you so far for your advice. I did put a Leupold quick-release mount and rings on for my scope. I hope I don't sound like I just ran out and bought this to use next weekend. I have shot it, just not since I put the scope on. I do know of people who run out and buy a gun or bow a couple days before the season starts and I think they are nuts. But I guess I can understand their desire to get out in the woods. I have always been interested in muzzleloaders and thought this would be a great excuse to hunt another season. But with my work schedule it looks like I won't be able to hunt the Muzzleloader season so will just use it for the regular Gun season in WI. Thats why I put the scope on. If by some miracle I get some days off from work over Muzzleloader season the scope is coming off and I'm going to give it a shot.

fishtrapgirl

I got mine in July. Had the place custom order it in for me. Nice looking gun I think. I'm looking at the getting that scope in a camo patern because I have the camo patern on the gun but haven't decided yet. How much did you pay for your set up? I got mine for 750 and I'm seeing the scope for about 250...I'm tyring to find it cheaper but it aint happening. I think I got a good deal for my gun with it being a thumbhole and custom ordered. I was looking at scheels in Grand Forks for the encore and it was about 700-750 for what I wanted and I got it for the same price so I figured it can't be beat. Hope you like it as much I like it. What are you shooting through yours? Barnes 250 seemed best for me but I haven't used a scope yet. Thanks

Code-man

Code-man,

I bought my Pro Hunter in August. I paid an even $800 no tax for it and it is in the Realtree camo but didn't get the thumbhole stock. I bought it at Reed's Sporting Goods in Walker. When I put the Omega scope on it they sold me the scope, Leupold quick release base and rings, and a T/C Pro Hunter logo sling for an even $300 no tax. That included mounting the scope for me. I was happy with that price. The sling has been hard to find, I looked for a long time. Tried to order one from T/C but could not find it on their website. Went down to Reed's last week and they had just gotten a couple in. I would usually not spend $40 on a sling but it just looks so (Contact Us Please) cool! I put the silver scope on. I thought I wanted the camo one too but it looks to be an older version of Realtree and really does not match the gun well at all. I definetely would not order it through the mail until you actually see one because the patterns are not the same. I haven't seen that scope any cheaper than $250. If you ever get a chance to get to Reed's at Walker or Baxter the guys are absolutely top-notch about helping you out and giving you a good price. All you gotta do is ask. As far as what I shoot they gave me a bottle of American Pioneer Powder sticks so thats all I have tried through it. Each stick is 50 grains. They told me to use no more than 3 stick for hunting. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep using the sticks or go to loose powder. They gave me PowerBelt Bullets but I'm not sure the grain without looking. I will know more after I sight it in this weekend with the scope on now. What do you think of the Flex Tech stock system? Thats gotta be one of the greatest inventions yet. Have you bought any of the rifle barrels for your's? I would like to get a 270 barrel but probably not until next fall. They seem to be running about $275-300 in price and was hoping they would come down a bit. I think the rifle forend is around $50-60 for the camo one. I believe they have around 15 different barrels available for it. Glad to hear you like your's. Sounds like you too got a decent deal. Now watch, next summer they will come out with something new and the Pro Hunter will be $600, but I really don't think they can make a better gun than this thing!

fishtrapgirl

Those Pro-Hunters looks sweet, too bad I've got a few other needs before I even think about one.

Loose powder will get you the best perforance, but most people like the ease of the pellets. I believe that the people that shoot the competitions for the most part all use 777 loose powder. I heard that the Pioneer powder doesn't quite live up to the hype. It cleans up easy, but the sticks tend to shave off a slight amount of powder when you put them in the barrel. I also heard that the consistencty of the powder isn't as smooth as the others, and through a chrono it can vary quite a bit in speeds. This range in speeds will give you less than stellar accuracy I beleive Pioneer powder was formerly known as, Clean Shot Technology which was sued over pattern infringement on Hodgmans pellets. Just check out Chuck Hawk page on muzzleloading, he has all sorts of current articles on muzzleloading.

I'm having no problems with the 777 tablets. It's nice and I seem to be pretty acurate with them but I am only using 100 grains. I went with the tablets because I didn't have time to play around with loose powder and finding a load that works best for my gun. Tablets are hard to beat I think for the ease.

I do like the new features with the pro hunter though. that speed breach is easy as heck, the power handle is awesome and i like how easy the easy tip extractor is. ONly problem I'm having is I forget it pops the primer out and when I break it I do it too quick and I always seem to drop the primer.

I have the TC Omega an absolutly am obssed with it, I've taken a look at the pro hunter real quick an had to turn away cause I do enjoy being married. I use tripple seven pellets an the new TC shockwave sabotsin the 200 grain an am really impressed one thing to remember is that I found out the hard way at the range after every shot run a damp patch down the barrel to remove build up of fouling residue, and give youre barrel a good cleaning when you get home right away. I waited a couple days cause of the popularity of being dad, ok I forgot, there I said it. But boy was it hard to remove the fouling after a couple days of setting up. It will eat at the inside of youre barrel an you will lose accuracy. 777 at the range is the only way to go, no premeasuring just plop plop stuff click bang. Later boar

Sighted in the Pro Hunter yesterday. Bought Triple 7 powder and T/C Shockwave bullets. Just figured this might be better than the stuff that I was given with the gun. Anyway, it worked great and sighting it in was a breeze. I did run a patch with cleaner down after every shot. Going to shoot some more today. Now hopefully I can get a deer with it next weekend!

fishtrapgirl

how big a pattern you get when shooting it? did you use 100 gr or 150? Do Tell Do Tell. I'm kinda wondering what it's like for consistancy because I got a new job and it's on the border of shot gun and rifle so I'm thinking new job present for CODE-MAN aka new scope for his new toy.

They also make a new primer out there right designed for the break open breach smokepole. the winchester 209 work ok but these new ones I think fire hotter therefore better pellet burn. I just cant think of the name right now but I gonna buy some when I remember. Good luck, later boar

I know what your talking about BOAR. It's the new primer I can't remember the name and can't look at it right now because my box is at home. They burn hotter is what I was told also and it gives you bigger error incase your powder aint completely packed and it helps with the tablets. I haven't had a problem with them. Only thing I have shot though so I can't compare. Works great for me.

Code-Man,

Shot 150 grain Triple 7 pellets. Had a 1 inch group with 3 shots at 100 yards.

fishtrapgirl

I'm thinking your good to go as well. I was going to recommend not shooting 150 grains of powder because most muzzleloader's have trouble with consistency with a full load. I shoot 90 grains of loose triple Seven which equals about 103.5 since it is 15% more powerful than the pellets. Your gun is shooting great at that load so that's kudo's to you.

1 inch at 100 yards is great!

Ryan

The Pro-Hunter has the longer barrel like the Omega and it will handle the 150 grains, that's where that grouping comes from... I personally only shoot 130 grains (50x2 and 30x1) but I know the Omega will handle 150 if I want to use that. I'm just not sure I ever needed it. I don't shoot 200 yards with that gun.

I've got an omega with the longer barrel as well. I've always chosen to shoot the powerbelt bullets which aren't a sabot. I had to when I bought mine last year because I was using it for muzzleloading in Colorado and you can't shoot a sabot out of a muzzleloader in that state. Mine just tended to start spraying a little more at the higher grain loads of powder. Technically if you we're shooting loose triple seven which you didn't state. You're load would be an equivalent to a 150 grain load of pellets.

That's part of the attraction to shooting the loose triple seven. You don't need as much loose 777 powder to get the same load, and the pellets cost a bit more. On the flip side though unless you shoot a lot it makes it a lot easier at the range, and in the field. I guess I started with loose powder because pellets weren't allowed in Colorado either.

The interesting part will be the regulations that states start putting into effect with the smokeless powder muzzleloaders and stuff.

One thing I've been unhappy with is the quality of rear sights on the muzzleloaders or at least my omega. I'm going to try to switch to a really high quality rear peep sight next year that increases in increments or a controlled manner. I used a peep last year but couldn't get it to shoot any higher and I was maxed out on elevation on the rear sight. I switched back to the factory sight this year, and I noticed it's all canted up once I tightened it down.

Ryan

I shoot two 50 grain pellets and one 30 grain pellet so its not the loose 777, its the pellets of 777.