• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lures for Icing the Big Greenies

Just wondering what some of you seasoned vets of the Iced Greenbacks would recommend for good tackle choices. I am heading up in December and have really never done any river ice fishing and looking to get a few lures that will help my odds up there.

I would imagine some jigging spoons and swimming lures would work well. What particular colors, weights, styles do you all prefer?

Thanks in advance guys grin.gif

Loren, I know they're spendy but I think those Salmo chubby darters are the way to go on the Red for BIG fish.

Go see Eddy over at Gander and I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you what to get and sell them to you, too wink.gif!!!

Yep, I agree-- go see Ed at Gander and he'll take care of you. I agree with Dead too- Chubby's are great up there. I've also done well with a couple other lures- blade baits, gold whistler jigs, and buckshot rattle spoons to name a few.

Thanks guys. I was planning on seeing Ed and having him stock me up with some goodies grin.gif Just thought I would see if there are any that he wouldn't mention.

I've got some Chubby's already but might need a few more. Has anyone tried Cicada's up there thru the ice? I think they would be a decent bait to use.

for sure ed will put you on the lures to have. In the trips i have made up there here is what i smoked em on. The chubby darter:gold and orange, Buck Shot Rattlers: glow em up baby, Kastmasters: gold and silver, i tip all of them with a saltie head or eye, and then i always get a few on the thumpers or whistler jigs. when are you planning on heading up? I want to go up early and very late. Nooner

Did you get out this week locally?

Quote:

when are you planning on heading up? I want to go up early and very late. Nooner

Did you get out this week locally?

i will be heading up dec 10th & 11th so hopefully things will be rollin by then.

also, i didn't get out on the river since the weekend we were out. i hit big c with only 1 eye there. give me a ring if you get a chance.

I got all the colors of Chubbys in stock, in all 3 sizes (4-5-6's), so you should find a few that look like they are worth wigglin in a sumos face. I do have a few favorites, and I like the #6's for walleye where many loose there nerve at the #5. The 6 is my go-2 walleye lure.

I'll be heading up for the 4th straight year this December as well. Stock up on every color of 3/8 oz whistler jigs you can find. Jigging spoons and salmos will be almost impossible to see on your flasher so you'll be fishing blind, but they work. Also, we have had great luck with a dead stick, 3/8 oz slip sinker with a 1/0 amberdeen hook worked as well. You'll mostly be using frozen salted shiners for your bait. Any other questions, feel free to email or post.

Fisherdog

i use chubbys and spoons all the time on the red

use an old blue box so you can aim the transducer on an angle

also another trick is change out your trebles to triple grips on your spoons and you can wrap a salty right around on all 3 points

reads great and if the eye wants a taste the hook is in its mouth where you want it