• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ticks and deer

Gordie

I was lucky enough to shoot three deer this past weekend and one of the does is full of ticks and the buck and other doe does'nt seem to have any. They were all shot in the same area . Last year three of the guys I hunted with found deer ticks on them and they had to get meds for limes and they all noticed the dreaded red ring(bullseye) from these ticks. I was just wondering if any body else had noticed this? I will probally spray myself down with deep woods before skinning them do you think that is a good Idea just a thought.

Last year both me and my friend found a deer ticks on us while gutting our Deer. I now try to do a good but very quick gut job with some long latex gloves that are yellow so I can see if any ticks are on them. I am sure as the deer cools down they are trying to find a new host. Thank goodness neither of us got bit.

Have 3 deer so far this year. Didn't notice any ticks till I brought a cape to my taxidermis the next day. Ticks were all over the thing. shocked.gif

One of the deer i shot this year was a nice buck on Opening day of bowhunting. I saw a couple of ticks when i was cleaning him but nothing to be worried about. I skinned him in my garage.

The next week i was playing with my dog who is able to go in the garage along with the back yard with invisible fencing. Needless to say i found 42 ticks on him. I am not sure if they came from THe deer or him mulling around in the cattails while duck hunting.

THe tick repellent that i used must have worn off for the summer and this was in the end of september.

All i know is that it was gross.