• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

CaptJohnWI

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

Muskies

Hello wakemup,

Pretty windy last couple of days so I at home working on my honey do list. I've caught a few muskies along the east side of lower red gut 25 years ago using buck tails. Nothing large but have spoken to a few people who have caught a released 40" plus ones in the same areas. I've also seen muskies and northerns follow up while fishing for walleyes in the same areas. Hope you get a few and enjoy your stay. The people at the fisheries are nice people and can give you a more updated report. Have fun!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wakemup

Thanks Muskies, I will post an update next week once I’m back. Appreciate the information!

• Thumbs Up 1

bfisherman11

John, after that big storm, then the cold, did you get out? I tried  few walleye spots but couldn't hold in place because of the wind today. Plan B was to fish for Bass and we caught about 16 so it was a pretty good day. Tomorrow's winds look a lot better so I expect better walleye results. 

Bill

Edited by bfisherman11

CaptJohnWis

Fishing very poor for me last couple days. Got about five nice bass Wednesday. Only one bass yesterday and a few eater walleyes. Wind was ugly coming back from FAR North Arm yesterday in Mike's boat. I an staying on shore for the holiday weekend. Boats should be much less after Monday. Might go way up north to Red Lake Ontario area for a week. Want to try a new lake,

fins_n'_feathers

Just watched your video from yesterday. We have been experiencing the same thing the last two days. Fish stacked up that won't bite anything. It's very frustrating because before this little cold snap they would inhale anything you put down there. Going out now to see if they are hungry today.

Muskies

Had the same problem but kept trying different spots until I caught a few then just anchored over the top of the fish. Vertical jigging was the ticket.

Wakemup
On 8/25/2018 at 8:57 AM, Wakemup said:

Thanks Muskies, I will post an update next week once I’m back. Appreciate the information!

We had good fishing in red gut, the fish were pretty active across the board and it was a fun trip! Looking forward to going back- Frank at the Fisheries was fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

CaptJohnWis

My garage got damaged two weeks ago in a bad wind storm. It is gettin torn down tomorrow. New one on order for next week. But I still have lots to do like making old slab bigger and puttin up new building. Not much fishing as of late. Insurance company is dragging its feet about settlement. But I am calling it a total loss so down she goes.

CaptJohnWis

Not been fishing much - new garage still not finished. Door company failed to send torsion bar so that delayed installation. Then we discovered they sent the wrong cable - another delay. Supposedly they are going to refund $300 of the $2100 the door cost. Arrrgh. Now my contractor has left for greener pastures but I finally have (I hope) all the correct part. Anybody know a good garage door guy in the Falls?

But had a few good days for bass earlier in week. Today was lousy. Water 51F which is good. But wind, rain and 30s air temp chased us off early. Only four bass in three hours. Been doing some weight vs length on the bass.

18" = 3 lb

18.5" = 3.5 lb

19' = 4 lb

19.5 = 4.5 lb

no 20-inchers yet this Fall.

These have been pretty close most of the time on the typical very fat Rainy Lake bass.

Garage build was a hoot with several helpers. Here is a link to some of it.

Link to garage build

• Thumbs Up 1

CaptJohnWis

Here is what I woke up to yesterday. Staying on shore and hoping fer warmer weather.

https://youtu.be/iD8g2-Eqpnc

CaptJohnWis

Big motor died today and I had to chug back in 10 miles at about 5MPH. Last mile I had to use electric motor. Bummer. Kicker motor would not start either. I have been having low battery problems and now I am convinced the big motor is NOT charging the battery back up after it starts. I ran the big motor at least 70% of the time I was on the water so it should have been charging the batter. Merc 150 started beeping (while it was running at idle!)and dashboard said "critical Low voltage" . It would not run above idle speed and all accessories shut down except dashboard. And it finally died completely about a mile from the ramp. I am lucky I didn't have to spend the night on some island. I had even put in a brand new battery a few days ago but obviously that was not the problem.

Marked a school of fish that would not hit. Very frustrating but at least I made it home.

lexdog
17 hours ago, CaptJohnWis said:

Big motor died today and I had to chug back in 10 miles at about 5MPH. Last mile I had to use electric motor. Bummer. Kicker motor would not start either. I have been having low battery problems and now I am convinced the big motor is NOT charging the battery back up after it starts. I ran the big motor at least 70% of the time I was on the water so it should have been charging the batter. Merc 150 started beeping (while it was running at idle!)and dashboard said "critical Low voltage" . It would not run above idle speed and all accessories shut down except dashboard. And it finally died completely about a mile from the ramp. I am lucky I didn't have to spend the night on some island. I had even put in a brand new battery a few days ago but obviously that was not the problem.

Marked a school of fish that would not hit. Very frustrating but at least I made it home.

needed some live bait

CaptJohnWis

A little nippy there this morning - ehh?

• Haha 1

PRO-V

Colder than a gold diggers a&& in the Klondike!!

CaptJohnWis

Skunked on Rainy!

Mike and I tried for a few hours this afternoon. Not a bite. North Arm still iced over from about a half mile north of Causeway as far as you can see. Had to fish Sand Bay.

Short video showing what we saw

• Thanks 1

hydrashack

John you been out?  I am heading up in a few weeks and in need of a report.

Thanks buddy.

-Shack

• Thumbs Up 1

CaptJohnWis

Fishing was good for bass right after ice out. But it has slowed way down. Water only 51 in bays.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

hydrashack

Thanks John.  Looks like we have a bit of a warming trend coming.  Hopefully that will heat up the water and the bite.

Better Than Working!

I will be up June 6 for a few days with my dad. Things a very different than this time last year! Starting to get excited! 

Scott Friedman

Thanks John! We are coming up in 7 days and hoping for warm. Would love to see more updates as the week progresses.  Will post our results 

fins_n'_feathers

By no means am I a Rainy Lake expert but we have Been fishing a few days a week since opener and have found the walleye fishing to be very tough. Seems like the fish aren’t where they should be and we have searched high and low and the only place we’ve found any concentrations of fish are in deep holes next to shallow points. These fish will bite but the ratio is about 10 dinks for every keeper. On the way in in the evenings we always stop in some shallow bays to pull cranks and there wasn’t anything until the last few evening and now a couple bigger slot fish have started to hit the boat each evening so I think that’s a good sign. My best guess is with the late cold spring we’ve had the fish probably spawned late and are in some kind of post spawn/super cold water funk. I think if we can get some warm sunny days to heat the water up things should start to fire up. Like I said I’m no expert just what I’ve noticed. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

bfisherman11

John, Glad to see you posting. I will be up with my new Lowe FM165 July 22nd. Can't wait.

Bill

• Thumbs Up 1

G I Mike

Hey fins_n'_feathers,

Have you been fishing US or Canada?  Just curious as we will be up end of the week.  

fins_n'_feathers

G I Mike, we came back up to the the cabin yesterday afternoon and did some shallow water trolling in the evening. That bite is really starting to take off. Kinda what I figured, just needed a couple warm sunny days to get them going. Today we went all the way to the east end and fished current areas on the way there and back. That was ok, nice keepers but not huge numbers. The biggest surprise was when we were leaving an island after having dinner we were idling away from the dock and around the corner a little as I was moving around in the boat putting stuff away and happened to look up at the depth finder at the right time as the boat went over a huge pile of fish. We stopped for a little bit and and tried it out and they ended up being dandy walleyes with some nice 14 inch saugers mixed in. We didn’t stay to long. Didn’t want to beat em up to bad and they were in pretty deep water. Save them for another day. That spot was 26 feet of water on the edge of a rock to mud transition. It looked like the fish were eating bugs of some kind. Good luck! Wwe have to go home tomorrow but will be back up Friday morning to get after them. Oh ya we strictly fish the US side until the rock pile bite gets going. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

G I Mike

Thanks for the report!  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

Water temps in the Northwest Angle are varying between 55 degrees and 59 in shallower areas.

In Minnesota, the bite has been very good. Big fish have been caught trolling crank baits in less than 15 feet of water. Keeper size walleye are being found in 18-22 feet with orange and parakeet jigs and a minnow being the most preferred combo. We saw multiple fish over 28 inches this week!

The fish in Canada have been smacking pink and white, and parakeet jigs tipped with a shiner or minnow in 22-26 feet of water.  Aggressiveness has picked up with the rising temperatures. Anglers are reporting a good number of multi specie catches including crappie, perch, walleye, sauger, bass and pike.

Open water season is just getting started and will only improve! 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Up here in the Northwest Angle lines are tight and fish are biting! Water temps are warmer in the shallows at 50-52 degrees to upper 40’s in the main lake.

Recent weather was not great but the fishing was. Some of the best action has been within a few miles of the lodge. Walleyes have been found anywhere from 3 to 30ft. 22-30ft with a jig and minnow is best during daylight hours. 

Multiple trophy walleye were caught this week including a couple 28’s and one 31 inch.  The bite off of the dock late evening is really heating up and will produce limits.

Come up soon to take advantage of great spring fishing! 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Fishing remains consistently strong on the Minnesota side this week. Many species are quick to bite leaving anglers with a very mixed bag at the end of the day. We saw multiple 40+ inch Northern, many Perch, even a Lake Trout among an already strong Walleye bite. 22-24 ft on gravel bottom surrounded by mud has been our best spots. Be sure to charge up any Glow tackle in use, with the increasing snow cover, glow or lighted lures have been hot. Pink/white and gold are also very effective on sunny days.
      The Canadian bite just keeps getting better! Crappies can be found in 30 foot holes while 22-26 ft flats on break lines have been hot for a Sauger/Walleye mix.
      Remember to stick to well-traveled trails as most have not been staked/marked as of yet.
      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• fins_n'_feathers
      Fished for a few hours this afternoon after the rain went through and the wind died down a bit. Tried a good dozen places in between black bay and the Brule and only got around 10 fish for the effort. The water was still pretty much ice cold at a cool 65 degrees in the main lake. We checked a few off shore reefs and saw zero signs of life on the ones we checked. The places we did get a few fish was were there was a rock to mud transition near shore on points. All in all another tough outing for us and on a side note, on the way in we pulled cranks in shallow water and the May flys were thick on the surface on the wind blown side. 
    • rkhinrichs
      I fished at the Forbes canoe access below the dam one day. And caught a 16 inch on a fly. I will give it a float and report back after the fourth
    • going4it
      Any tips on smallies up there? First time coming up. 
    • srj
      Nice report as usual, Hoey. We are fishing Wed and Thurs. Sounds like it will be ugly hot coming up. Hopefully, the fish will finally get into their summer patterns.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Definitely hit up some trails. My kids love to hike and explore. They surprise me with their willingness to keep trekking along. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      As long as there are bugs to eat, the trout will always hit the surface. As summer progresses, there will be less and less trout to catch.
    • rayguy
      Does it ever quit blowing?  Tough conditions this week. Fish scattered all over the place.  Bass hitting the best, panfish the least. Walleyes in the middle.  Best for us has been late afternoon on lindys and leeches. Nothing great but with the warmup coming I think things will improve. Did see a 7-8 lber caught ,  on a Daredevil of all things.  Keep the beer cold.  Go get em.  Rayguy
    • NorthBound&Down
      Thanks for the information!
    • OutdoorLife4Life
      Hey guys! We were up last weekend but only got to fish for a few hours. We caught a bunch of pike anywhere from mid teens in length to the low 20” range. We also caught a few bass and a few walleyes. Biggest eye was 19. We contacted all our fish from 16-20 feet. Most of our bites came on a jig and minnow. My wife and brother and law were trolling spinners but only managed pike. We did try crawlers without any success but again we were only out for a few hours. We fished on whitefish and targeted bars and a couple of wind blown underwater points. Good luck this weekend! Maybe we’ll see ya out there!
    • Chill62