• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

Really have enjoyed this thread. Live in Indiana about 800 miles away. Would like to make it up there sometime. Do you fish US or Canada? Do you have a recommendation for a place to stay and rent a boat? I only have a 14' with a 9.9 on it. Thanks, Jake

Angler Jake,

I also live in Indiana (Plymouth), Where are you? I have taken my 14 also with a 9.9 around Northwest Bay, although I would not recommend it. The weather can change very quickly and what used to be a slight chop in the water could turn into 2 foot rollers. There are plenty of places to stay, Northwest Bay has 3. Birch Point, Amik, and Camp Narrows. I have not stayed at any of them but have used the access at Birch Point a couple of times and the owner (Dale) was helpful. John

Best place I've found is Woody's Resort. It's not a family resort, but a very clean adn comfortable place to stay. Very affordable too. It's right in Ranier. You can find their address above as they are a site sponsor. Woody and his wife are fantastic people. Woody will mark a map up better than anyone up there. He can usually put you on fish. Unless you're a smirf I woldnt' want to go out in a 14 foot boat. However, if you trailer down Highway 11 you can alwasy put in at a boat landing out of the wind. The lake has a million Islands for protection plus the whole lake can be good fishing. Another option would be to rent a 16 foot from Woody. Again, his rates are fair and his motors have always been reliable. Option 3 would be to hire Woody or one of his guys as a guide. Depending on your budget you can pick and choose guides up there. There are about 30 to choose from.

cont.... Rainy is a fantastic lake but be careful and stay away from the big water using even a 16 foot boat. The lake can get pretty rough. Because I'm willing to trailer to safer waters I've never lost a day on a trip to high wind, even with it's blowing like stink. Highway 11 on the south side of the lake is about 10 miles long, so you can find quiet water if necessary. Good luck.

I fish the Canada side. Walleyes left all my humps and points that had been so productive for weeks. We finally managed to catch some fish but only a couple big ones, rest dinks. Next time I'll try for bass and give the walleyes a rest. I did get one really fat pike that I thought was a walleyes until I got her up to the boat.

Rainy2011-7-14.jpg

John,

The fish move throughout the lake. You should really check out the American side as it is also fantastic fishing.

Woody

I will 2nd Woody's. Fantastic guy. Great place to stay. We try and make it up to Woody's as much as we can. Can't beat the first class service and excellent accomodations. I would also suggest hiring Woody himself to guide you for a day. Will make your trip go from awesome to FANTASTIC. Woody is a pleasure to fish with and talk to. VERY helpful and very knowledgeable. Been guiding up there for 40+ years and knows his way around the lake as good or better than anybody up there. Give him a call, you won't regret it. Guaranteed.

I cannot speak for the Canada side like Capt John but I make a few trips every year to Woody's and the fishing on the American side could not be any better from what I have found.

I have always found very good fishing for numerous specie without going across the border.

I've been with John, actually quite a bit, I have brought minnows and leeches against his wishes (he won't use them) and we always catch more and bigger fish on plastics. The only time I think I do better on live bait is now when I pull spinners and half a crawler. I know the fishing in Mn. is very good but the north arm is 2 miles from my house on sand bay and the brule is quite a bit farther. John launches close to my house so he doesn't have a long trip. It is true that you seldom have a boat on any spot up the north arm and to some of us that is worth the extra cost of a license and border pass. I won't talk about size because I don't know how to post pictures and you wouldn't believe me unless I did but it probably isn't a fair comparison because I spend 90% of my time up the north arm. I don't usually go north of tug point but the guys that live up further laugh at the size of the fish south of tug compared to where they go. Lot's of good area on both sides of Rainy, depends on what your preference is and the areas that you know. Would like to have a beer in the boat once in awhile though. Last week I saw guys pulling down riggers in sand bay, have seen several boats the last couple years doing that in the same area, must be on to something.

The American side is great fishing. The Canadien side is better! You won't see many Canadiens crossing into American waters... wink

It's all about statistics...the Ontario side of Rainy has 65% to 70% of all the water in the basin which allows each person fishing more area and greater opportunities. From July to Oct. I mainly fish north and south of the causeway on the Ontario side because it is close and there are many more areas to fish with less fishing pressure. If someone is fishing on a spot that I was going to try I just drive by and wave because there are many spots that will give me the same possibilities to catch some fish. In the end it really doesn't matter where you stay as long as you enjoy one of the greatest places to fish...Rainy Lake!

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing very poor today. Only some eaters and one decent pike in six hours. Haven't fished in over a week so will have to find new spots as all my old ones are dead except for small walleyes.

Was out Tuesday morning for 2 1/2 hours...caught 11 walleyes the largest 23". Kept 4 for supper and released the rest. Also caught 4 10"-11" perch and a 31" northern. Caught a few fish on each spot I fished. Sorry John...no bronze backs!

I kept a 16" right away. Then thought it might die if I drag it around all day so released. Toward end of trip I kept another 16" (for 10 minutes) then decided didn't want fish for supper after all so released it as well. Can only keep one a day in Canada. I do that about once a week. Not big fish eaters at my house.

But a bummer if you want shore lunch and some to take home. That rule has got to be hurting the resorts on the Canada side.

Hi, new to the forum. am heading up to Rainy in a week. anybody got any hot spots they'd like to share? would think off a reef about 25-35 FOW with jigs and crawlers but thought I'd ask anyway

thanks in advance!

Fishing was better yesterday.

Biggest walleyes were caught shallow. Eaters deeper. The one in the picture came out of 6 feet of water casting shoreline for bass. All but one nice walleye were 12 feet or less. Got five dandy pike mostly around 20 feet off humps. Only a few bass but didn't try very long for them.

Rainy2011-8-1.jpg

Hey Capt'n, coming up in just a few days, hows the lake level this year? Have you seen robert any this summer?

Lake is at normal levels. I have not been up to the resort. He has email so you should check to see how he has been doing. I am going fishing with buddies this weekend so should have some more reports. We will try some trolling which has been producing but I seldom do it when alone.

thanks, like the rocks to be as deep as usual for us. I have a new guy coming this year who is bringing his bass boat. should be alot more comfotable for us.

Friday fishing was miserable hot and no wind most of day. I managed to get about 25 fish mostly walleyes with a 28" largest. Many 15-18" dinks. Big ones casting flukes on a hump. Rest dragging spinners and Lindy Muchie Worms. Paul saw me and he was doing well on garden hackle & spinners. Came over so I could take his picture of his 28-incher as he forgot his camera.

Today the weather was much nicer. Some wind and cloudy so we did not have to roast. Fished with Mike and Dave in Mike's boat. Didn't have to go far as the second reef we checked had fish. I started out with a nice one on a fluke but then things got tough for the Cap. Walleyes would not hit my lures but were gobbleing up the leeeches my partners was dipping on plain lead jig heads. On this spot I got "snagged" right under the boat. I moved to rear of boat to get a different angle to get lure loose. Snag decided to swim away at that point. I was using my normal UL and 4lb line. I am sure this was a walleye as it stayed right under the boat the whole time. Never saw it but got it up halfway a couple times. It was a BIG fish and I was not a happy camper when it came off.

Boys continued to pound the eyes on leeches for hours while yours truly was stubborn and stuck with plastic (zip for hours). Went to our last spot and I managed to lose two more big ones right away (saw one walleye about 27"). But now I decided to make up for lost time and got about 15-20 walleyes in short order on my fluke lure. Leeches not working for my partners at this point. I finally managed to land a big one just before we quit. We ended up with about 60 walleyes, and a few other fish. Lots of slot fish.

Rainy2011-8-5.jpg

Rainy2011-8-6.jpg

Went for three hours this afternoon. Nothing in spots that were good yesterday. I finally started getting a few slot and dink walleyes but nothing fast and furious. All on Lunker City Fin-S-Fish on 3/16 oz plain lead jig head. Sun was setting so I said "last cast". Hooked a hog on ultra light and 4-lb line. I was doing some serious begging after yesterday's fiascos.

After 4 minutes I got a peek so was happy. Missed with the net so another four minutes before I could land this beauty. No leader so finally got lucky.

Rainy2011-8-7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally gittin into some good fish. After nothing but bottom feeders for months, I decided to chase those beautiful bronzebacks. Got a dozen dandies today in the final hour. Only one earlier in the day but then I found what I was looking for. Got them on everything including surface lures, crankbaits, flukes and worms. Nothing on a spinner but I only threw that a few times. All the bass but one were right around 18 inches. I did lose a much bigger one at the boat.

Rainy2011-Aug.jpg

Nice fish C. John. I always look forward to reading about your fishing adventures. I was wondering if you ever target Crappies on Rainy? Just curious.

Chet

I used to chase crappie years ago. But most of the time on Rainy they are too deep to release successfully so I leave them alone unless they are shallow. My best year guiding on the Wisconsin River we landed 5,000 (mostly 12-13 inches) but there it is shallow and they do just fine if released.

Hey Capt. John, wife and i get a second trip to the NW end and north arm. I have spent countless hours on the northend, but never past mid august. we get in tomorrow for a week and am wondering about smallie fishing this time of year. Deep/shallow, early, late all day etc. We also like eyes, but love the smallie fishing best.

Don't need spots, just presentation if you wouldn't mind. (we don't use no stinking minnows either)

Bitz

I can better tell you where they ain't. NOT in the main part of the lake. Tons of bottom feeders there though. I have been fishing mid-lake humps and points all summer. Nothing but walleyes. Not one good bass in places where I would sometimes bump into wandering schools of big bass. Very poor bass fishing all summer for me - but I stayed in the main part of North Arm.

The bass have been caught in the big shallow bays like North West. Just fish points (but not main lake points). The bass I have caught lately have been spitting up crawdads so try a crank that is brown and orange. Ten feet of water seems a good bet lately. I have not had much luck if there are a lot of weeds but a few weeds with lots of rock is what to look for. If you can find some current be sure to work that area over. Lots of wind current in some areas after a big blow followed by a wind shift.

A plain lead jig with a soft plastic tail will work from the day the ice goes out until it freezes over. I always throw these year around. Even got a few dandies on surface plugs the other day when it was cloudy and little wind. Spinners always worth a try especially if you have trouble detecting hits on soft plastic. I don't think you get as many bites on metal or cranks as on soft plastic but it is much easier to detect hits and you cover water faster.