• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

do it yourself

ikeslayer

Do any of you butcher your own deer? i do my own steaks and i am looking to do my own burger, brats, breakfast sausage, etc. I am wondering how much work this is and if it really is worth the cost? and also what do i all need. thanks for your help. ike

I do all my own stuff..

I just do burger,steak, roasts, jerky...

I have frieds that do the sausage thing.. and itstead of doing it in casings and such they just patty it, then you dont hvae to do the whole stuffing it in caseings.. I guess its much easier that way.

I have done my own deer and made sausage for years. Helps when u work at a meat market. Have any questions, i would be willing to help out.

For making sausage, how much pork would you recomend a person adds to the venison? Should you go 1/2 and 1/2 or more like 2/3 - 1/3. Just curious cause I will be doing this the first time this year. Also, where would I be able to get pork trimmings to make the sausage?

Thanks,

Tom

First off, you can get pork trim anytime from your local meat market. As for adding pork, its all going to depend on what your making. What are you looking to make? I would be able to hit ya a with a better number on what your going to be making.

I am going to do breakfast sausage. What types of seasoning would be good for breakfast sausage?

If your doing breakfast, make it 50-50. This way it will kill some of the venison flavor. As far as seasoning, i can't give that away tongue.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Here's the one I use. If you search "Sharing Recipes you'll find other's as well.

HARRY’S VENISON BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

This recipe will make 10 lbs. of excellent breakfast sausage.

5 lbs boneless venison (well trimmed)

1 T. sage

5 lbs pork (I use pork butt roast)

2 tsp. garlic powder

½ lb. lean bacon ends

4 tsp. dry mustard

2 1/2 T. coarse pepper

1 tsp. nutmeg

4 T. salt

1/2 tsp. cloves

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp. allspice

Cut venison and pork in strips that fit your grinder. Combine all the seasonings (except garlic) in a bowl and blend. Sprinkle the seasonings and garlic over the meat. A large, plastic tub works well for this. Toss the meat until it is all well coated with seasonings. Grind once and mix thoroughly. Fry one small patty to check the seasonings. Adjust seasonings, if necessary.

Grind the meat a second time. Again mix it well. Add about 1 cup water during the mixing. Cover with plastic and let stand overnight in a cool place before packaging. Package the same as you would hamburger.

Note: Reduce the amount of spices if you prefer a milder sausage.

I have been doing my own processing for years now ever since a locker plant made a mess out of our venison. Personally, all my sausage varieties are mixed at least 65% venison or more. The beef and pork ratios vary depending whether it be peppered sticks, brats, summer sausage, etc. For jerky I used to slice up some better cuts, brine them and dry but now use those cuts for steaks and roasts. Jerky is now made with 100% ground venison trimmings and pressed out into strips with a Cabelas jerky shooter. All the necessary equipment for complete processing and smoking can be a bit costly upfront but for the most part it is a lifetime investment. Good luck in your processing.

Borch, that sounds good, I might have to try it but it does seem like to many different seasonings. Of course there are tone of recipes but for the most part I use salt, course ground black pepper, mustard seed, prague powder, fresh ground cayanne, garlic and maybe a hint of this or that. Oh, and don't forget the liquid smoke. I have a question if anyone can help. Sometimes I will have a problem with colagen casings separating and becoming chewy on dried peppered sticks after vacuuming and freezing. Anyone know the cause of this?

They become creamy becuase when you are frezzing them, the water that is left in the casing will come threw it. Your allowing to much water in the meat when your stuffing it. Place less water into the casing and the pepperstix should not become creamy when your taking them out of the frezer

I have heard this before about to much moisture but I add absolutely no water in the mixing or the stuffing stages. I drain as much blood as I can and mix 65% venison, 25% beef, and 10% pork. I have never had a problem with the dark brown colagen casings but a couple of years all I could get was the lighter colored casings. Any other ideas or should I pay particular attention to the meats moisture?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Wasy to many seasonings. But im sure its great.

It goes pretty quick in out household. I also make potato sausage, italian sausage. I'm planning on adding some smoked stuff this year.

I stopped using processors several years ago. Too much money and was not satisfied with my venison when I got it back. It's much better now. wink.gif

Alot of meat markets now days are charging a stiff fee for processing just becuase there cost's on the other side of it are more expessive then ever before. It also depends on the place that your taking it to on what your going to get back. If your going to take it to a meat market, try there stuff over the counter to deside on wether or not your going to like it or not. Remember, its still aint going to taste the same with the venison flavor in it.