• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chicago Bears

buzzsaw

Geno,

Foreign soccer players? That's not being very PC....

But I likes it!!!

Windy

Couth (sp?) is not one of my strong points.

Besides, my Grannie always said, "tell the truth and put the shame to the devil".

Actually I have nothing against FG kickers or FG's as part of scoring - I just don't like to see a 60 yarder in the last second win a game. I think they ought to have a rule that only within the 30 can a FG be a game-winner, or here's another idea - outside the 30 it can only tie it up.

Whadday think?

A cut and paste jobbie..........

The Chicago Bears are going to finish the regular season 14-2, have the home-field advantage during the postseason and then, if they're not very, very careful, get eliminated in the NFC Divisional playoffs.

Matt Cashore/US PRESSWIRE

Last season's playoffs didn't end well for Bears coach Lovie Smith and QB Rex Grossman.Have you ever seen a more dysfunctional, less-impressive 12-win team than these guys? Have you ever seen a coach who plays the paranoia card as often as the spectacularly tone deaf Lovie Smith? Have you ever seen fewer players unwilling to at least acknowledge what everyone else with at least a beer cup's worth of objectivity sees: that the Bears are walking a line as thin as the laces on a football?

Sunday afternoon, as I was cleaning my cache of semi-automatic weapons and surface-to-air rocket launchers, I watched the Bears-Tampa Bay Buccaneers game with my kids and our 26 pit bulls. Oh, wait, that was defensive tackle Tank Johnson, who, incredibly enough, is still employed by the Bears.

Anyway, the more I watched, the more I realized how flawed and fragile this team is. They're not posers. Posers don't go 12-2. They're not frauds. Frauds don't clinch a first-round bye as early as Game 14. But they're also not the NFL's best team. Or second best. Or third. Or fourth. Or maybe fifth.

I know they have the league's best record. I know they're 4-0 in their division and 10-0 in their conference. But the other three NFC North teams are a combined 14-28 and in danger of being optioned to NFL Europe. And the rest of the NFC is so stressed out that it needs a spa day. It's the two-bagger conference, if you know what I mean.

In mid-October, the Bears needed the collapse of the decade to beat gawd-awful Arizona on the road. Two months later at home, they needed overtime to beat a Tampa Bay team that scores less often than guys in leisure suits. If you have to struggle to beat the Cardinals and the Bucs on opposite ends of your regular season, you've got a major problem.

The Cardinals' Dennis Green had it right when he went Danny DeVito after the Oct. 16 loss. "The Bears are who we thought they were," he raged. "If you want to crown them, crown their (Contact Us Please)," said Green, YouTube's Sportsman of the Year. "They are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook."

The Bears deserve a fist bump, not a crown. Of their 12 wins, 10 have come against teams with records of .500 or worse. Next up: the Detroit Lions (Hello, No. 1 pick! Goodbye, Matt Millen!) and Green Bay Packers.

In a game of NFL word association, you'd say, "Bears," and I'd say, "Watching the Super Bowl on their home plasmas." You'd say, "Home-field advantage." I'd say, 2005 Divisional Playoff at Soldier Field: Carolina Panthers 29, Bears 21."

You'd say, "Kyle Orton." I'd say, "Rex Grossman and his 1.3 quarterback rating."

There are too many moving parts on this machine. The tailback tag team of Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson can barely tolerate each other. Grossman is like food on a cruise ship: You don't know if you're going to love it or ralph in your state room. And the defense suddenly needs mouth-to-mouth.

The Bucs, led by third-string quarterback Tim Rattay, outscored the Bears 28-7 in the second half of Sunday's game. The Bucs.

Six days earlier, the Bears gave up 27 points to the St. Louis Rams. If defense wins championships, then the Bears better find some help for Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs. And fast.

Did I mention the injuries? Offensive tackle John Tait missed the last game, though it didn't seem fatal. Cornerback Nathan Vasher was out. Defensive tackle Tommie Harris is lost for the season. So is safety Mike Brown. Jones has some cranky ribs. Charles Tillman is nursing a sore back.

And yet, Mr. "The Glass Is Completely Full" Smith acts as if it's a huge deal the Bears are unbeaten against the rest of the NFC North mopes. He recites the Bears' overall record like it's a weather update. Last week, 11-2. This week, 12-2. Next week, after they dispose of the Lions, 13-2.

But it doesn't change some essential truths about this team. First of all, they aren't the '85 Bears. Never were -- even when they were winning big during the first six weeks of this season. Never will be. Aside from the fact that the '85 Bears would crush your thorax the moment you walked off the team bus, they were likeable, eccentric, charismatic.

The '06 Bears reflect Smith. Mostly bland. Defensive. In a state of denial about all sorts of things, including, oh, I don't know, defensive tackles, assault rifles, and wee-hour fatal shootings.

Four days after police raided his suburban Chicago home and found unregistered firearms, Johnson was still on the team. Three days after Bears management read him the riot act, and two days after his friend/roommate/bodyguard was shot and killed at a Chicago nightclub (with Johnson at the same club), Johnson was still on the team.

Smith didn't absolve Johnson's actions, but during his weekly news conference Monday he did seem to suggest that the defensive tackle's Bears' career still had a heartbeat, however faint. If so, then Smith needs a refresher course on tough love.

There is a lot to like about these Bears, but more to dislike. They are either five games from a Super Bowl championship or three games from a January playoff loss. Right now, I'm leaning toward the loss. Too much Bears' indifference, arrogance and self-importance.

What's that phrase they tell alcoholics? The first step toward recovery is admitting you've got a problem.

That's what the Bears have to do: admit they've got a problem. There's still time for recovery. Barely.

OK Buzz,

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, as you can see by some of my posts, but I have to ask you. Given all that, at this time of the season would you rather be watching and cheering for the Bears or the Vikings??? I thought so.

Windy

I think he's with me Windy....cheering for the Packers to come in 2nd (well, maybe not), and the Bears to lose their first playoff game.

Windy, my man Geno said it pretty accurately... wishing for the Bears to lose the horseshoe they've had way up in that hole all year long and get beat down on their homefield. It will happen!

Quote:

OK Buzz,

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, as you can see by some of my posts, but I have to ask you. Given all that, at this time of the season would you rather be watching and cheering for the Bears or the Vikings??? I thought so.

Windy

I smell avatar bets coming on. The only question is, will Windy back up the bravado by honoring the spread this time?

Sure he will. The bookies have gotten to the Bears. How else can you explain OT vs the Bucs?

Fishy,

You must be reading something that isn't there because I never bet the spreads. Spreads are for the weak and wimpy. I believe any team can beat another on any given Sunday and if I am a true fan of my team I am believing they are going to win, not just cover the spread. I guess if my team was playing the Bears and they were a 14 point dog I should get all giggly and wet myself if they manage to come within the spread? Nonsense me boy. If you are going to root for your team then root for them, if you are going to bet your team then bet your team. Leave the spreads for the halftime buffet!!! Windy

Windy,

Exactly. Believe in your team or don't. It sure is easy to ask me or anyone else to believe in a road dog, but, is it that difficult then to ask you to believe in your home favorite. You talk like you got a set, but can you bet like you got 'em.

Now Windy, as a poker player yourself, you know about gambling right?

Let's see if I have got this: Betting is gambling, gambling is based on odds, the spread helps change the odds, the closer the odds the more the bookies can take in because the spread can lure in some otherwise not-too-confident of a fan.

I have to disagree with you about "any given team...". That may be partially true, but chances of a 2-14 team beating a 14-2 team are three-fold in my opinion: slim, fat, and none!

On the other hand, I would never give "runs" in a bet on a baseball game, but I'm sure they have them kinda bets too.

See Geno,

You get my point right? I think in baseball bets the games are winner take all but they mess with the payouts. Like when my beloved White Sox were playing the hapless Astros in the World Series you could bet a $100 on the Sox but if they won you would only win $175 back but if you bet on the Astros and they won (like that would ever happen) you would win something like $325. You see, that's why I don't bet that stuff, it makes my brain hurt. I like the straight up action. That's why the only game I play in Vegas, Illinois or Minnesota is live poker, Texas Hold Em. The house takes a rake out of each pot and it is you against 9 other players, mano y mano. No point spread, no line, no handicapping, the only way to play.

Windy