• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ice on lakes?

delta hunter

I hunt the New Ulm and Mankato area and I was just wondering ice is starting to form up and how bad is it? I have had a chance to get out at all this week for a hunt or to scout until tomorrow!! Any and all info would be great!!

The smaller pothole lakes around the metro are freezing pretty hard. I started with about 1/4" ofice on 11/1, and there was 1/2" by 9:00 a.m. with NOTHING flying. Good reports on large numbers of birds the day before(halloween). It was obvious what was going on, the ducks retreated to open water somewhere. 1"+ of ice wouldnt surprise me today on the smallest shallow lakes.

I hope this warm snap coming up chews this ice up on the smaller bodies of water.. I am going scouting for birds on bigger(open) water today.

Smaller ponds around my place have ice. However, it's supposed to be in the high 50's this weekend. The ice won't last long.

The lake here at town (about 25mi from you) is 100% froze today; it was 98% froze yesterday. The lake here will take a couple days to open back up, but from what I'm seeing on the weather channel's website, it's suppose to be in the mid 50's this weekend and then hitting 60 - 65 next week and staying warm for a while.

i think it is pretty much over for around here IF the temps stay the way they are, unless you hunt the river.

I would guess that most of the shallow lakes are froze solid after last night.

Norway, Bass, North Turtle, and Ann all right around Underwood are froze this morning.

Just an fyi here on the weather being forecasted for the next 10 days:

Southcentral MN 10-day Forecast

Today Nov 3

41°/30°

Sat Nov 4

52°/32°

Sun Nov 5

61°/42°

Mon Nov 6

60°/38°

Tue Nov 7

63°/45°

Wed Nov 8

66°/40°

Thu Nov 9

54°/40°

Fri Nov 10

51°/33°

Sat Nov 11

46°/34°

Sun Nov 12

45°/35°

International Falls 10-day Forecast

Today Nov 3

28°/19°

Sat Nov 4

37°/27°

Sun Nov 5

47°/34°

Mon Nov 6

46°/34°

Tue Nov 7

52°/39°

Wed Nov 8

51°/33°

Thu Nov 9

42°/29°

Fri Nov 10

39°/24°

Sat Nov 11

37°/26°

Sun Nov 12

34°/24°

Gives everyone a basic idea of what the weather might be over the next week or so. If it holds true, lakes and ponds will certainly open back up, especially if there is some rain and wind along with the temperature fluctuations. Should be plenty of hunting left to do, it's just that this weekend may require some effort to bust ice and open holes.

Good luck!

more on iced up lakes, I'm pretty sure all of the smaller lakes in west central mn are froze I checked a couple this morning, at Pelican Lake by Ashby it was froze over at least I could not see any open water although two or three boats went out breaking ice, I did not go there because I figured if there was some small areas of open water I did not want to crowd. So I went to Battle Lake it was pretty much wide open as I figure any bigger& deeper lakes will be. Just a little update for ya all. Shot two butterballs.

Just went and looked at the lake that I hunt and if was 98% ice over!! Just wondering if it is going to open up enough to put a boat in without having to do alot of work trying to get to a spot and then making a hole in the ice. Plus didn't even see any ducks in the open water anyways. So I don't know what I'm going to do, I don't have the right set up to try to take on the river. I guess I'll see what happens!

I just got off of Middle Lake (by Swan) about an hour ago. I wasn't even duck hunting. My brother was out with a buddy and they broke a shear pin in the prop of the motor, so I had to get the girl friends dad's truck and little 14ft boat and find them. All of the lake was completly froze over it range fron 1/2 inch thich to over an inch thick(next to shore). There were spots my brother said that he could walk on (my brother is 5'8" 160 pounds). He said they got to the access at about 4:45 a.m. and it took them 2 hours to get to the spot they wanted to hunt. When I went out to give them the spare parts, the trail they started was froze over again. I was a major pain! Everyone be safe out there with these colder temps, but next week looks like 60's.

continued ice on lakes

checked a few lakes in the Alexandria area saturday morning did not get to hunt though, all smaller lakes are froze Lake Reno landing froze up pretty good was walking on the ice to see how thick it was more than inch but if there is wind from any southerly direction I think it could open up again with warmer temps coming next week hoping to get out monday or tuesday, Lake Mary south access is froze up good out the weeds just before main lake north access is clear and open.