• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Benelli and Beretta

anchor man

I'm interested in a new semi-auto. Thinking of the SBE II or a Beretta auto of some sort. I know they are both great guns, but was wondering if there's a general consensus on the advantages of either brand. I've never shot either and currently have a Browning Gold. Any thoughts?

Thanks much

I just bought a Benellie SBE II and love it.. I've only put about 30 rounds into sighting the gun with the Bushnell Holosight I got for it and I love it.. IT does kick though.. haha..But then again, I am shooting 300 grain but the comfort tech stock is great!

Quote:

I'm interested in a new semi-auto. Thinking of the SBE II or a Beretta auto of some sort. I know they are both great guns, but was wondering if there's a general consensus on the advantages of either brand. I've never shot either and currently have a Browning Gold. Any thoughts?

Thanks much

I've owned both (Benelli Montefeltro Super 90 and Beretta AL391 Urika) and both are nice guns.

Both should be very reliable, even in cold weather. I once let my Beretta go for 2 years before really cleaning it so for a gas gun it's not high maintenance. The Benelli can take even less cleaning than the Beretta. I've seen both jam, but I'd give the slight nod to Benelli for reliability.

The Benelli will cycle faster but that argument doesn't matter. The Beretta will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger too. Also a person never shoots a fast as they can pull the trigger anyway so it's a non issue.

The Beretta should recoil softer because it's gas operated.

Both have stocks that are adjustable for drop and cast which is good. The Beretta's stock is a little longer I think so if you are taller or have a longer neck the Beretta may fit you a little better. If you are a stocky person the Benelli may fit you better.

Both come with 5 chokes so it's a draw there.

Bottom line: Both are nice reliable guns and will work just fine for you. Pick the one that fits you best and start shooting.

I agree with GSP's assessment. And you must remember these are both part of the same company so its sort of like fighting about whether a Buick or a Pontiac is better, GM doesn't care, they've stuck a lot of the same parts in each of them, just buy the one you like!

For me personally I've never liked the feel of the recoil on Benelli's and they don't fit me well, so I am a Beretta man. To each his own though, there are plenty of guys who swear by their Benelli's.

I'll be watching this post with some interest.

I'm in the browsing mode right now but am seriously considering a new shotgun for next seasons waterfowl season. My criteria are that it shoots 3 1/2", semi-auto, and camo paint. smile.gif

Sort of narrowed it down to the Benelli SBE II or the Beretta Xtrema2. Also thinking of Browning Gold. So I've got a long time to make up my mind and save some $$. I'm sort of leaning Benelli right now as I have shot a SBE and really liked it.

There probably isn't a bad choice to be made.

i bought a xtrema 2 this year. First auto i've owned. I really love it. Have had no problems with it, have put tons of rounds through it this year and have only cleaned it once. It has almost no recoil and i didn't buy the one with the kickoff feature. It is also aobut $300 less than the SBE. Reason i bought it is because a gun smith showed me his service records on all guns. the xtrema had the least service of all autos. Great gun.

I have the SBE. I really like it and it has been a great gun. I've had it for 7 years and never had a problem with it. I've ran thousands of rounds through it with no jams or any problems. I have no complaints about it. The only thing I would like to see them do is make a slug barrel for the left hand model since I am a lefty.

Whichever one you do get the first thing I would do is grab a box of pheasant load and shoot some clays with it. When I bought it they told me to shoot a heavy load through it to help break the action in. If you shoot a lighter load the action will hang up a little and you will have to operate it manually the first few shots. Don't know if other brands need that as well.

I've been shooting a Benelli M1 for many years and couldn't be happier. Whatever gun you get, the most important thing is fit. Try it on, see which one fits you the best. The second most important thing is patterning, which you should do with your gun, chokes, and load(s) of your choice. I wouldn't get too excited about paying the extra to shoot the 3-1/2 inch loads IMHO, no one really needs that. It may be just a nice-to-have.

If your gun fits you comfortably and you have good patterns, it should do everything you would ever need it to do with 3" or 2-3/4 inch loads.

see if you can find a sbe and save some cash, i prefer my sbe or the sbe 2. The comfortech stock is just too streamline like a beretta or a stoeger 2000...they are all good guns but the SBE is a classic.

I have a Beretta 390 and 391 and couldnt be happier. The 390 is well over 12,000 rounds with no jams....oh, I hope I didnt just jinx my deer hunting.....It fits me like a glove and I am a true believer in gun fit and feel (balance). Either way you will have a good gun, so pick the one that feels best and balances the way you like.

Just bought my first auto, a Benelli M1 Super 90, at the end of Sept. Used it all season duck hunting with zero problems. Easy to clean, very light, reliable gun. Always been a Browning guy but am very impressed with the Benelli. Dad has also had the same gun for 6-7 years now with no jams yet. Don't know much about Berettas but I've heard good things.

Quote:

I wouldn't get too excited about paying the extra to shoot the 3-1/2 inch loads IMHO, no one really needs that. It may be just a nice-to-have.

For most of my duck hunting, you're right. I've been doing quite well with 3" #2s for many, many years.

I've been doing more goose hunting lately and foresee a lot more in the future as well. 3" #2 & BB are primarily what I've been using but would really like to move up to 3 1/2" and see if it is more effective on geese.

I use 3.5" shells on geese. I don't know for a fact that they improve your odds or not but I like the fact that you get a few more bb's in the shell to help knock the geese down or kill them on the first shot.

Personally own a beretta 390, I've had it for going on 6 years, I would buy another if given the chance. You won't lose with either purchase. The extrema2 is a great gun, don't know a whole lot about the Benellis, I know people that have them and they seem to like them.

BTW, 390 shoots 3", but costs quite a bit less than the SBE and the EXTREMA.

Quote:

I use 3.5" shells on geese. I don't know for a fact that they improve your odds or not but I like the fact that you get a few more bb's in the shell to help knock the geese down or kill them on the first shot.

Two things to consider on this. One, are you shooting the high speed loads? And, Two, have you patterned this load at the distance you plan to shoot?

If you increase the energy with the higher speed (1/2M*V(squared) = E) and make sure you have a good pattern, you should kill them plenty fine. I shoot ducks and geese with the 3" 1560 FPS 1-1/8 oz #1's through a Benelli M1 and a Trulock Skeet 2 (0.015 constriction) and get great patterns from 20-45 yards. It's the only load I use, all season, for all species, at all distances I care to shoot. Kills them dead.

Quote:

Baretta has been around for 500 years. Benelli, not so long.

thats like sayd "Ford's been around longer then Chevy" haha.. In the end, its just a matter of preference and what fits YOUR budget.

Benelli Super Black Eagle!! Owned it for 4 years... never cleaned it and I won't until I get a jam. Use it for all my hunting needs and skeet shooting. Thousands of rounds shot thru it each year.

I really like my 390. I keep it clean and have no problems, even in very cold weather.

The 390 fits me well, I have shot a SBE quite a bit and its quite blocky to me.. it just doesnt feel right. The beretta will put loads through it way faster than I can re-align the sights.. and that is pretty fast considering the minimal amount of recoil with the heaviest goose loads. I dont think its possible to shoot enough shells in a day to get a sore shoulder... I cant say that about the *old reliable* 870.

Hanson, any time you want to trade guns in the duck blind for a day, let me know. I dont think 3 1/2" are really neccessary either with the wide assortment of good loads out there these days. How many BB's are in 1/8 oz of shot? Not much difference between 1 3/8 oz and 1 1/2 oz of shot... except for the $5 extra per box grin.gif

Just my opinion. But my 390 is a great gun. For the person considering the purchase, I would go out and check out both guns and see what feels the best to you. Both guns you are inquiring about are very easy to take apart for cleaning (390/391 or SBE)... you dont(and shouldnt) shoot them until they jam!

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't get too excited about paying the extra to shoot the 3-1/2 inch loads IMHO, no one really needs that. It may be just a nice-to-have.

For most of my duck hunting, you're right. I've been doing quite well with 3" #2s for many, many years.

I've been doing more goose hunting lately and foresee a lot more in the future as well. 3" #2 & BB are primarily what I've been using but would really like to move up to 3 1/2" and see if it is more effective on geese.

I have been using 3.5" BB for ducks for the last 4 years and it works just fine. I thought at first it would tear them up pretty bad but I was supprised it doesn't. So that is all I use. 3.5" shells are not all more expensive than good 3" shells. I have been running a Benelli Super Black Eagle for the last 6 season and it has not missed a beat. I have not gotten to use it as much this year as I would have like to but the other years it has never missed a beat. I have not look at the Berettas much but from what I understand they are a great gun too. I for the longest time thought I was going to get a Browning Gold until I picked up the Black Eagle. The Gold is a tank way heavier and that was the deciding factor for me.

Quote:

3.5" shells are not all more expensive than good 3" shells.

I meant the price difference in the gun, not the shells. But I'm glad that it worked out for you. I shoot big shot too (1's) and it really doesn't tear them up that much. I like shooting fewer pellets of big shot because either you miss, or you kill them dead.

One thing that was not brought up when it is time to clean both guns the benelli is alot easyier to clean you can completly strip one down in a matter of minutes if you hunt cattails like i do this is a real plus . i have never tore a beretta down but it can't be easier then a bennilli

Hanson,

I've had a Browning Gold hunter for 7 years and it's not been a very reliable gun.

In my opinion there are alot better choices out there.

I got a good deal on a Beretta 390 and couldn't be happier with it.

I can clean my beretta 390 with my eyes closed, it can be as easy. clip, barrel, spring, gas port, done. Trigger assembly comes out with one easy to remove roll pin.

I like the chunkyness of the sbe forestock it makes for a good grip...also i use 3.5" BB for ducks and geese...i never shoot 3"s unless i am pheasant hunting. I am in the process now of purchasing a browning gold hunter 10ga auto, all they guys i hunt with when to them, less recoil than the sbe with 3.5"s with less of a waterfowl cripple factor.

I bought a Benelli M-1 Super 90. Picked it up 2 years ago at the sport shop in Pequot Lakes. (nice place by the way) This gun is amazing!! Never jams, it's light and comes up very smooth. I'm sold on Benelli..

Quote:

Quote:

3.5" shells are not all more expensive than good 3" shells.

I meant the price difference in the gun, not the shells. But I'm glad that it worked out for you. I shoot big shot too (1's) and it really doesn't tear them up that much. I like shooting fewer pellets of big shot because either you miss, or you kill them dead.

Gottcha Yes I would agree with that but to me if there is any chance that the gun will be used for waterfowl I would go with one that gives you a 3.5 option it just gives you more flexiblity. I wish there was a rifle that could shoot .270 and .300 mag shells so that I did't have to get a .300 mag some day.

I have a Beretta Extrema and I love it. Great gun. I have a Benelli Nova and I think that is the best pump for the money. I have used and abused that gun and it seems invincible.

IMO Benelli vs. Beretta = 6 one way / half a dozen the other. Both are great guns. I believe the Beretta is typically cheaper but I could be wrong.

If you can find an Extrema (vs. an Extrema2) the price is significantly cheaper right now. They have been at Gander Mtn for $987. That is $500 less than the typical price for an Extrema2.